Renewed my permit today... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Renewed my permit today...

TheGreatGonzo
05-06-2008, 20:27
Well, I renewed my permit today. My wife laughed and asked me the same question she asked when I got it in the first place: "Why do you bother with a permit? You can carry anywhere in the U.S. You don't need a permit.". I explained, once again, that I did it for several reasons. For one thing, it boosts the numbers of law abiding permit holders in the state, which is good for statistical purposes. Besides, what happens if I lose my job tomorrow? Or I'm badly injured and my agency puts me on "Restricted Duty"? Anyway, I digress... :supergrin:

It was a very painless experience. I did it in Jackson and it still only took 10 minutes. The young lady at MHP was very friendly and very efficient. Hard to ask for more than that.

Gonzo

OXCOPS
05-06-2008, 22:23
When I was on the job in MS, I was in the same boat. Didn't need a permit, but got one anyway. The way agencies change policies, I wanted to be covered one way or another. Plus, like Gonzo, I have never thought that since I was a LEO that made me better than anyone else, so that was another reason for me to get a permit.

Funny thing, I left MS 10 months ago, but my MS permit is still in my wallet right next to my AZ permit.

MikeLadner
05-07-2008, 04:24
I recently renewed mine, too.

Same question from the wife, almost the same answers from me ;)

NRA_guy
05-10-2008, 00:47
I've got to do it, too, soon.

Wish I could just send them the money like I do my driver's license.

I have to take off from work and drive to Jackson.

And $3.60/gallon gas adds to the cost.

OXCOPS
05-14-2008, 10:44
I've got to do it, too, soon.

Wish I could just send them the money like I do my driver's license.

I have to take off from work and drive to Jackson.

And $3.60/gallon gas adds to the cost.

Wasn't there a proposed bill that would have allowed that?

glock34_girl
05-14-2008, 11:04
yeah a new law was signed you are supposed to be able to get your prints at local sheriff/PD and mail in app. don't know if it has taken effect yet. the renewal fee for seniors was cut in half and waiting period cut from 120 days ti 60 days on initial apps...i'm still waiting on my permit in the mail i applied before bill passed.

NRA_guy
05-16-2008, 05:43
yeah a new law was signed you are supposed to be able to get your prints at local sheriff/PD and mail in app. don't know if it has taken effect yet. the renewal fee for seniors was cut in half and waiting period cut from 120 days ti 60 days on initial apps...i'm still waiting on my permit in the mail i applied before bill passed.What's considered a "senior"? Anybody know?

Looks like you may be right about mailing in the application, but the prints must be done by the Department of Public Safety. Not a great help to me. That still means a trip to Frank Melton Land.

Here is what I find posted now on the State of Mississippi linked web site:
45-9-101. License to carry stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver.
(12) No less than ninety (90) days prior to the expiration date of the license, the Department of Public Safety shall mail to each licensee a written notice of the expiration and a renewal form prescribed by the department. The licensee must renew his license on or before the expiration date by filing with the department the renewal form, a notarized affidavit stating that the licensee remains qualified pursuant to the criteria specified in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, and a full set of fingerprints administered by the Department of Public Safety. A renewal fee of Fifty Dollars ($50.00) shall also be submitted along with costs for processing the fingerprints; provided, however, that honorably retired law enforcement officers shall be exempt from this renewal fee. The Department of Public Safety shall forward the full set of fingerprints of the applicant to the appropriate agencies for state and federal processing. The license shall be renewed upon receipt of the completed renewal application and appropriate payment of fees. Additionally, a licensee who fails to file a renewal application on or before its expiration date must renew his license by paying a late fee of Fifteen Dollars ($15.00). No license shall be renewed six (6) months or more after its expiration date, and such license shall be deemed to be permanently expired. A person whose license has been permanently expired may reapply for licensure; however, an application for licensure and fees pursuant to subsection (5) of this section must be submitted, and a background investigation shall be conducted pursuant to the provisions of this section.

Lobo
05-25-2008, 09:51
Another bonus to having a permit, regardless if LEO or not, is when purchasing a gun the FFL holder doesn't have to do the phone call.

kotaus
06-03-2008, 21:15
and waiting period cut from 120 days ti 60 days on initial apps...i'm still waiting on my permit in the mail i applied before bill passed.

I'm still waiting myself. Today is day #132. So much for 120... I'm going to call them tomorrow and see why I haven't gotten it yet. Anyone else waited that long?

OXCOPS
06-03-2008, 22:23
I'm still waiting myself. Today is day #132. So much for 120... I'm going to call them tomorrow and see why I haven't gotten it yet. Anyone else waited that long?

When you call them, refer them to state statute 45-9-101(6)(c) which states, "The Department of Public Safety shall, within one hundred twenty (120) days after the date of receipt of the items listed in subsection (5) of this section:

(i) Issue the license; or

(ii) Deny the application based solely on the ground that the applicant fails to qualify under the criteria listed in subsections (2) and (3) of this section. If the Department of Public Safety denies the application, it shall notify the applicant in writing, stating the ground for denial, and the denial shall be subject to the appeal process set forth in subsection (7). "

When they use the term "SHALL" it means there is no discretion. They have no choice but to atk within that time frame. If you meet the requirements, they must issue you a permit within that time.

Milky
06-04-2008, 09:22

Yikes, Friday will be 120 days for me. Hope mine comes on time.

kotaus
06-04-2008, 12:48
I just called them. It turns out that my fingerprint card was rejected. They sent a letter to my OLD address telling me to get re-printed. The letter was returned to them. So, I have to take off work again to go get re-printed and wait some more.

He said that if the 2nd print card was no good, that they could just do it off of name and DL #. But, they have to try twice with the prints.