Shogun by James Clavell [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shogun by James Clavell

Poodle
05-07-2008, 04:16
Was able to procure the TV mini series SHOGUN (1981). Always fascinated by Japanese culture and the Samurai tradition.

Paltog
05-07-2008, 05:08
if you don't mind where did you get and how much? thanks

batangueno
05-07-2008, 07:30
I thought Taipan, also by James Clavell, was the only one that had a mini series. Meron din pala yung Shogun. :)

I like all of Clavell's novels. Yung Whirlwind na lang yata ang hindi ko pa nababasa.

orimar3
05-07-2008, 17:13
Tai Pan was a movie. Noble House & Shogun was presented as mini-series.

horge
05-07-2008, 17:25
Shogun was a treat, because of strong characterizations.

For lack of such depth, I found Noble House to be the weakest in the 'series';
and Whirlwind only marginally better, with too many forced inclusions of
'exotica' (I found the lesbian interlude ridiculous).

I didn't bother picking up Clavell's last one, Gai-Jin, even though it was
supposed to be a return to his strength. Anyone with feedback on that one?

h.

CatsMeow
05-07-2008, 19:22
I saw a DVD box set in AstroPlus in Megamall. Too bad I didn't grab it because the next time I was there, it was gone. If any of you see one, grab it!

batangueno
05-07-2008, 19:26
Tai Pan was a movie. Noble House & Shogun was presented as mini-series.

You're right. Noble House lang pala napanood ko. :)

Alexii
05-07-2008, 20:37
Unang basa ko Shotgun by James Clavell.;)

The Shogun mini-series is a bit dated. The opening shot of the galleon revealed the shadow of a helicopter on the ocean's surface. As is almost always the case, the book is better than the film.

Poodle
05-08-2008, 17:54
Unang basa ko Shotgun by James Clavell.;)

The Shogun mini-series is a bit dated. The opening shot of the galleon revealed the shadow of a helicopter on the ocean's surface. As is almost always the case, the book is better than the film.

Oo nga. The book is much better than the film.

I hope that somebody would make a film on the Meiji Restoration. Not sure if Western military advisers and war making technology was involved in the defeat of the Samurai. Most Japanese would deny the historicity of the film "Last Samurai" which may well be the case, but maybe Western military technology was indeed involved. The American Civil War had just ended during that time. There were a lot of military lessons and technology just acquired.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z83/PoodleTofi/Satsuma-samurai-during-boshin-war-p.jpg