Moving to Lexington [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Lexington

DBradD
05-07-2008, 09:22
My family and I will be moving from Virginia to Lexington at the first of August. I'm starting the house-hunting process, but it's a bit tough going so far. If someone can offer commentary and answers for the following, I'd appreciate it. We have a middle school kid and two smaller kids who will be going to elementary school in a few years. I'll be working at UK, which of course, is downtown.

1. What are the parts of town and/or schools that are generally nice(r)?

2. What are the parts of town and/or schools that should be avoided?

3. Are any of the surrounding counties very nice places to live and within a 20 min. drive of UK? Are there any of these that are great places to find a fair amount of land and privacy, but still have good schools?

4. Are there specific commutes that should be avoided? Wilmore, for example? Does it help to get to work early, like say 0630 and leave early, say 1630?

Obviously, general unsolicited advice and commentary are more than welome too.

Thanks in advance.
DBD

WayOutWest
05-07-2008, 21:59
My family and I will be moving from Virginia to Lexington at the first of August. I'm starting the house-hunting process, but it's a bit tough going so far. If someone can offer commentary and answers for the following, I'd appreciate it. We have a middle school kid and two smaller kids who will be going to elementary school in a few years. I'll be working at UK, which of course, is downtown.

1. What are the parts of town and/or schools that are generally nice(r)?

2. What are the parts of town and/or schools that should be avoided?

3. Are any of the surrounding counties very nice places to live and within a 20 min. drive of UK? Are there any of these that are great places to find a fair amount of land and privacy, but still have good schools?

4. Are there specific commutes that should be avoided? Wilmore, for example? Does it help to get to work early, like say 0630 and leave early, say 1630?

Obviously, general unsolicited advice and commentary are more than welome too.

Thanks in advance.
DBD

A great choice. I currently live, and grew up in lexington, but for the past year and a half I attended Hampden-Sydney College in Farmville, VA. I loved it but for various reasons I came back to UK.

Anyway, I am from the area in which UK is and, no biased, it is the greatest neighborhood in which to live in Lexington, particularly since you will be working at the University as it will save on gas. Its locally called Chevy Chase. It can be pricey as far as housing costs go but its a great time to buy considering the market. I see plenty of housing signs all around. It also has the best schools for the most part. The elementary schooling, barring you would send your kids to private school, is called MA Cassidy. Its a great school with phenomenal teachers. The middle school, Morton Middle School, in which my younger brother is attending and my younger sister and another younger brother attended (my older brother and I attended the now defunct Lexington Traditional Magnet School). It is also a good school considering your options elsewhere. High school is Henry Clay High School and it is great. My older brother and I graduated from there and it has a phenomenal gifted and talented program. My younger brother will be graduating and june and some of the schools in which his peers were accepted include: Yale, Harvard, MIT, University of Virginia (my brother went there as well, 8-10 have gone in the past few years) Washington & Lee, Vanderbilt, UGA, Pepperdine, Southern California, Princeton, etc etc. It is a school that defines the limit of possibilities based on the work you put in. As for the neighborhood, its great. Great people, great activities. Park is close that has 2 small baseball diamonds for Little League if that is an interest. Also, its less than 2-3 minutes from campus and downtown depending on location. A ton of other things make it great.

Other options include Heartland (expensive: doctors, lawyers, and successful business owners are the only people I know that live there. Schools aren't as good IMHO), And further outside of Lexington yet staying in Fayette County is also a possibility.

Let me know any further questions.

hayley
05-08-2008, 01:19
The Chevy Chase area is nice--one of the first planned residential expansions of the town, with many of the houses designed by privately contracted architects. You see really idiotic list prices for some of the property, however. This has led to some pretty crass add-ons to some of the original Cape Cods and, by virtue of the location, a few of them razed in order to build bulked-up houses on the lot.

Personally, I'd avoid Heartland and all the newer developments outside New Circle Road. They're indistinguishable from similar developments in any U.S. town over the last 20yrs. For the price, one can drive a few miles further-out and buy a small farm.

There are interesting possibilities (to me anyhow) in the original midtown area around Transylvania University. You can do a little browsing from this website: http://www.lbar.com/ (or maybe talk to my mother-in-law, who LOVES looking at houses and probably knows more than most of the professionals about Lexington neighborhoods!) But you really should get connected with a first rate realtor and spend some time getting aquainted with the area.

My last 2 cents: the commute to Wilmore from UK used to be pretty laid-back...no Longer. Good luck!

wprebeck
05-08-2008, 10:17
Other options include Heartland (expensive: doctors, lawyers, and successful business owners are the only people I know that live there. Schools aren't as good IMHO), And further outside of Lexington yet staying in Fayette County is also a possibility.

Let me know any further questions.

I dated a girl who lived there.

Also grew up right across Armstrong Mill from it.

You're a Clay grad? What year? I was at TC...

Bren
05-09-2008, 04:10
If you are buying a house, you would do better outside Fayette County. If you are thinking about Wilmore because the BGSL is there, I'd wait and see if BGSL starts to looks like a good club again or goes out of business. In Lexington, you mainly want to avoid anything North/East of Main St. (called Leestown, Main and Richmond in different sections) unless you are way out East of I-75. There are crime maps available on the Lexington police or city government web site that will help.

amr40509
05-15-2008, 07:25
Well welcome to Lexington! I moved here myself for college 9 years ago, and have stayed.

If you don't mind a 30 min drive, you can get out of Lexington into some very nice country easily enough. Basically any direction you go from Lexington will put you a rural area just a few miles out. I personally would be looking in the area w/in a reasonable distance to I64/I75 just for ease of access to the surrounding area. Right now I live in the 'Hamburg/Andover' area of town, which is basically close to I-75 and Man-o-War's intersection. This is nice because I can hop on the interstate and be in Louisville or Cincinnati in an hour, or out in the Daniel Boon National Forest at either Cave Run Lake or Red River/Natural Bridge in an hour.

My wife and I do plan to move in the next couple of years again though (before we have kids), most likely to Georgetown where we can get some land.