Alabama Carry Limitations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Carry Limitations

StoneRaven
05-10-2008, 07:05
I have searched the internet and reviewed the Code of Alabama for information concerning where a concealed carry permit holder may NOT carry.

The Alabama Code is clear that a firearm may not be carried in state Wildlife Management Areas without a specific permit during specific times of the year (hunting seson). It states elsewhere that a firearm can not be carried in/during a public gathering.

What are the other locations where a properly permitted citizen may not carry? Please provide a reference if possible.

Specifically, I would like to know if it is legal to carry in a restraunt that serves alcohol? How about an establishment that serves only alcahop (a bar)? I have always assumed that these two places were off limits for me when carying, but I can find no reference in the Alabama Code to confirm my assumption.

Alabama Code = http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Thanks!

Greg

GRR
05-12-2008, 06:12
Off limits, court houses, behind the metal detectors at the airport, etc.

As to carry where alcohol is served, it depends on the county where you live (where your permit is issued). Some permits show a prohibition on the permit. Jefferson Co. does not. Depends on the Sheriff.

griggrt
05-12-2008, 11:43
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821523

this might help

BamaBud
05-12-2008, 18:26
Off limits, court houses, behind the metal detectors at the airport, etc.

As to carry where alcohol is served, it depends on the county where you live (where your permit is issued). Some permits show a prohibition on the permit. Jefferson Co. does not. Depends on the Sheriff.

Alabama has a "no preemption clause" in the State Code (Code of Alabama 11-80-11). Since there is No law against carrying where alcohol is served in the law, then no Sheriff can add that restriction. It has to be done by the Legislature.

That said, a Sheriff can make it very uncomfortable for those in his county (realize I said "His" county) who try to argue the fine points of the law while on the street. Many here are willing to challenge these illegal restrictions, YMMV.

My .02
BB

cowboywannabe
05-19-2008, 17:18
also Alabama is a "may issue" state not a shall issue state so the pre-emption would not hold water regarding the discresionary permit issuance.

though i am not aware of any Sheriff who does not issue permits regularly, they are still up to his discretion to issue.

Fear Night
05-22-2008, 21:23
For my county, at least:
WARNING
Your pistol permit does not authorize you to carry a pistol while consuming alcohol or drugs.

Your pistol permit does not authorize you to carry a pistol inside an airport, courthouse or any other public building that specifically prohibits firearms. This includes city, state, and federal facilities.

Your pistol permit does not authorize you to carry a pistol at any public gathering such as sporting events, political events, parades, and etc. (Title 13A-11-59)

The Sheriff of Shelby County has the authority to issue, deny, and/or revoke a pistol permit at his discretion.
http://www.shelbyso.com/page.php?p=permits

Jazz5
05-27-2008, 13:48
I asked for this info last time I renewed my ccw and got a strange look from the clerk.
I emailed the sheriffs office (Baldwin Co.) and will let you guys know what I get back.

Miranda
06-14-2008, 11:21
In time, it hopefully will recend some of the extra chromosomes that are in Alabama's current gene pool. :rofl:

mossy500camo
06-15-2008, 14:59
I have nothing to add. Im just as confused as everyone else. I just wanted to give a shout out to "griggrt". WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!

cowboywannabe
06-15-2008, 15:07
the carry issuse are simple. read the back of your ccw permit, that is what you are using to carry on....

if your permit says no carry in a place that serves booze, then even if youre in a county thats Sheriff does not impose that restriction, you still have to follow what YOUR permit says....

griggrt
06-15-2008, 16:47
War Eagle Brother

Jazz5
06-17-2008, 16:59
War Damn Eagle and the back of my permit has nothing on it.

griggrt
06-17-2008, 18:53
I have a Georgia Permit. The only thing on the back of mine says to avoid public gatherings.