New rider [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New rider

yam
05-13-2008, 09:15
Finished the MSF last Thursday and went and got the license today! Now to find what bike I want....... I am 42 and have not ridden on the street in 20 years. I have ridden dirt bikes for the last 5 years. I am torn between cruiser and standard. I am in no rush but will go and look at all bikes then decide.

Anyway, just checking in.

whogasak47
05-13-2008, 18:48
Finding the right bike in the right color for you, Is almost the best part. Do not get in a rush and choose poorly. Keep us posted.

Good Luck and Ride Safe

tehan2
05-13-2008, 19:12
Yam, first off. . . welcome back!!

A lot has changed in technology in the last 20 years. Think about what type of riding you'll be doing "most" of the time. If you can afford to do so, rent a few bikes before you buy. going for a 10 minute "test ride" and taking a bike for 200 miles are 2 different things.

The good part about taking 20 years off, is that us "old guys" are MUCH smarter than we were 20 years ago. My first bike was a 1986 FZ600, I bought it brand spankin' new about 2 weeks after I got my license. A month into owning it, I was coming home from the beach, in a "tuck" position doing about 120 with flip flops, shorts, no shirt or helmet when I passed my father coming home from work.

I got home before him, and he never said a word when he got home. The following morning, I got up to go to school and my bike didn't have tires or wheels. just a note from my father saying that he knows I'll be alive when he gets home. bike was sold 2 weeks later.

fast forward to 2008, I still like to go 120mph, but now it's with full protective gear and a closed track, and my street riding is much safer (although not always with-in the speed limit)

be safe

Texas T
05-13-2008, 19:30
Yam, welcome back. It was 25 years for me between bikes. My last was a Kawasaki KZ650 and my current is a Kawasaki ZG1000 (Concours Sport Tourer). Since you're in Rowlett, allow me to invite you to Two Wheeled Texans; you'll see the link in my sig line. We are riders of Tourers, Sport Tourers, Sport bikes, Dirt bikes, Dual Sports, Cruisers, Racers, etc. It is a family-friendly forum and you won't see the rants/cussing/etc that you find on other bike related forums. I hope you join us.

fnfalman
05-14-2008, 09:56
Finished the MSF last Thursday and went and got the license today! Now to find what bike I want....... I am 42 and have not ridden on the street in 20 years. I have ridden dirt bikes for the last 5 years. I am torn between cruiser and standard. I am in no rush but will go and look at all bikes then decide.

Congratulations for being wise with your age. Too many people our age think that we're older and smarter, therefore we don't need no stinkin' instructions on how to ride no moorsickles.

As far as motorcycle choices go, it's your own decision to make, but I will never be old enough to ride a cruiser. But that's just me.

wavetrain75
05-14-2008, 21:33
The biggest problem for most new riders, well, new street riders, is they want too much bike too soon. We had close to 10 people from around here killed last year because they got their license and then bought a bike that was far beyond their abilities.

I high sided my Honda at 65 mph three days after I got it because it was more bike than I should have had. I spent the next 6 months rebuilding it and re-evaluating my riding style. 15,000 miles later I'm accident free and far more skilled rider (although last summer on a very steep and twisty mountain pass I was completely smoked by a guy with a gray beard and a mid-70s Triumph).

Don't get in over your head, it's better to start on a small bike and live to ride a bigger one.

ms1600
05-15-2008, 01:04
Congrats! Stay safe.

GlockSupremacy
05-18-2008, 02:20
The biggest problem for most new riders, well, new street riders, is they want too much bike too soon. We had close to 10 people from around here killed last year because they got their license and then bought a bike that was far beyond their abilities.

I high sided my Honda at 65 mph three days after I got it because it was more bike than I should have had. I spent the next 6 months rebuilding it and re-evaluating my riding style. 15,000 miles later I'm accident free and far more skilled rider (although last summer on a very steep and twisty mountain pass I was completely smoked by a guy with a gray beard and a mid-70s Triumph).

Don't get in over your head, it's better to start on a small bike and live to ride a bigger one.

If you dont mind sir, would you like to elaborate on the highside experience, and also olde gray beard carving some corners...???

TurboRocket
06-12-2008, 18:00
I'm in a similar position. Turned 40 a few months ago. I had a Ninja 600 in college, and a CBR600 F2 afterwards. Sold the CBR in early '90s and have been bike-less... until... just yesterday committed to buy a used V-Star 650 Classic.

I've been looking casually for about 8 months, and more seriously in the last two months. I debated back and forth whether I wanted a sport bike or a cruiser or something in between. The two in between bikes I like, V-Max or Speed Triple, are not as available on the used market. I looked at some sport bikes, and while the seating position is familiar to me, I just didn't think that was what I wanted now. So, it seemed like I narrowed it down to cruisers.

So I sat on a bunch of cruisers at dealers and private sellers, couldn't decide and nothing really said, 'wow, now that is a nice fit.' That all changed yesterday. On a whim, I went to a nearby dealer on my lunch hour. They had this nice V-Star on the floor. It has these after-market wide drag bars (I think that's what they are called), and when I sat on it, it just fit. I've sat on many V-Stars in the recent weeks but I was surprised what a big difference the after-market handle-bars made for me in terms of fit/seating position. I gave the sales lady the cash I had to hold the bike, and will go pick it up in a day or so (after I get my motorcycle permit - endorsement lapsed after the CBR).

So, today I just registered for my MSF. I've taken this before but figured it's been long ago enough that I just want to do it right again. Oh, and that's another story... The local MSF facilities are all booked up through October. I am not sure why but when I checked on-line today, there was one opening for their class starting on 6/26. Planets must be aligned or something.

So, inside of a couple of weeks, everything should be squared away, and i will be on the road with my new-to-me cruiser. Good luck in your search. Stay safe.

walangkatapat
06-13-2008, 22:09

Since gas prices are so damn high I've been thinking about getting my endorsement through Team Oregon. Since I'm a newb about bikes what's too much bike, what's comfortable, what's reliable? Once in awhile I'll see a rider in the rain, how do bikes handle in the rain?

G23.40
06-14-2008, 04:44
Once in awhile I'll see a rider in the rain, how do bikes handle in the rain?

Just a little "loose" on the wheels but nothing major, slow down a bit especially around the corners and go easy on the throtlle. I've rode in the rain and get caught in the rain dozen of times.

TurboRocket
06-14-2008, 05:55
...I'm a newb about bikes what's too much bike, what's comfortable, what's reliable? ...

I am by no means an expert. I think a lot depends of maturity of the person - a new bike for a 20 year old maybe slightly different than a new bike for a family many with kids.

It is arguable that I shouldn't have had a 600 sport bike in college as my first bike. 'When you're young, you're stupid' certainly applied to me sometimes. The newer 600 sport bikes are even more tightly wound than the two I had, so those would be too much for a newb, IMHO.

In terms of cruisers, I think 650s and 750s are probably a good range. Get something with low center of gravity so you can handle the bike's balance without too much trouble. Air-cooled will be a bit lighter than liquid-cooled, generally speaking, and balance may be a bit easier to handle.

There are many in-between bikes that may be suitable for a newb; Suzuki SV, older Honda Nighthawk, etc.

What is comfortable will depend on your geometry and personal preferences. Reliability? I'd say for cost, Japanese might be the way to go. If you don't want to mess with chain maintenance, look for a shaft-drive bike.

mmc45414
06-14-2008, 06:00
I have ridden dirt bikes for the last 5 years. I am torn between cruiser and standard.You might also consider one of the big dual sports like the KLR, or maybe the Suzuki DL650.