I want to make a difference [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a difference

Grumpy Gardener
05-13-2008, 21:04
Well I posted this damn thing 4 frigging times....so you're the last bunch ya geezers
:tongueout:

O.k. guys let me axe ya a question. I would like to start a horse program for Soldiers returning from their service.
The program will be a start up program for the horses and for the Soldiers. Neither will have been introduced to each other of any kind. Meaning the horses will be rank or mistreated horses and the Soldiers would be new to any sort of equine species.

I'd plan on a 6 month program where Soldiers interested could be involved in starting Colts or Mustangs or abused horses and gradually getting them to saddle to trail or arena. After that we'd allow the horses to move on to Professional finishers or approved horse consumers.

I'm a product of this and I believe it would benefit dissasociated soldiers who need a good friend (that being the horses).

I don't care what branch, I don't care the age or rank.

But I'd like to share what worked for me.

appreciate any input fellas/gals.

gardener

in a couple of days I'm out to my new Cowpoke job. so if I don't immediately respond don't get pissed. I'll touch bases as I can get service.

adios

gg.

the iceman
05-13-2008, 23:54
I think that would be a great idea GG!!

I know I would definitely be interested!

mitchshrader
05-14-2008, 00:09
My dad was NCOIC of the ceremonial half section at Fort Sill, in the early 70's. He made pretty good soldiers out of cowboys and pretty good army mounts out of lousy roping horses..

it ain't such a bad combo, troops and horses. only thought i got is some serious insurance. people get hurt. it will happen.

it's a GOOD idea. it's got some friction built into it.. horses are high maintenance, hands on, and novices aren't trustworthy.

You'll need continuous oversight, a good farrier, and a liability policy that HURTS to pay.. money is the big issue, and a patron with a ranch ain't wrong.

Once you've got infrastructure funding committed, you're about covered up in work. It's a darn good idea and will soak up a ton of time first couple years.... all the help you can get ain't too much. :)

FWIW if you can get women involved you'll have better morale and a more civil demeanor.. reminds c'boys to keep their manners handy..

Bevo1
05-14-2008, 00:51
In answer to your title, you already have made a difference. You are a Vet:patriot:.

I think the horse rehab program is an outstanding idea. It has an certain irony to it. The horses have been abused or neglected, similar to the soldiers.
Sounds like a win win. The horses will benefit from it, as will the heroes.

Grumpy Gardener
05-14-2008, 17:54
Thanks fellas, I'm taking notes and listening.

all advice is more than welcome.

All the way!

gardener