Medical Disqualification [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Medical Disqualification

Codename46
05-17-2008, 20:47
omfgwtfbbq (I made a post on another populuar gun board a couple of months back when I first started AFROTC and was required to do a DoDMERB physical. Turns out I used to have seasonal allergies and took some allergy shots during high school (I'm still on bi-monthy maintenance shots). After a while most of my symptoms have literally vanished.

I did a Google search on medical disqualification and it turns out the AF has DQ'ed basically everyone who checked "yes" on the question on whether or not you have allergies. On a technicality, I don't have it anymore, I've asked some fellow cadets about the problem and they told me not to say anything, and most of the guys at the other forum voted "don't say ****" as the poll option, so I went ahead and said no. I passed the DoDMERB.

Fast-forward to present day. The ROTC cadre wanted me to send them a copy of my immunization records that my school currently has. Not a problem, except the guys at University Health Services basically had to leave off the part where I had allergy shots. Of course, they reasoned that allergy shots technically doesn't count as an "immunization" in the disease-related sense of the word.

This one small part of my conscience says that I'm eventually going to get caught, get DQ'ed, fined, and sent to pound-me-in-the ass prison or something because I've withheld this info.

I've already made it this far in AFROTC. I'm currently a contracted scholarship recipient who is going to field training in about a month at Maxwell AFB. I've already signed the commitment contract and am currently applying for Secret Clearance. This is something I WANT to do.

Suggestions? Should I continue to be silent regarding the situation or just openly admit it? What would be my explanation in the event they do start being suspicious? What would be the legal ramifications of getting caught?)

Blitzer
05-17-2008, 21:58
Welcome the wonderful world of the AMA and the Government Service medical systems, the two may never agree.

Silence is golden but a good background check might pull this info up. You would probably get the boot at worst.

Best wishes. ;)

Go figure.

The doctors, at the Government service intake facility, missed my obvious disqualifying medical condition, a birth defect and deformity of my right hip. And 25 years later says it wasn't their fault I am crippled now.

:rant: :steamed: :dunno:

Codename46
05-17-2008, 22:02
Welcome the wonderful world of the AMA and the Government Service medical systems, the two may never agree.

Silence is golden but a good background check might pull this info up. You would probably get the boot at worst.

Best wishes. ;)

Go figure.

The doctors, at the Government service intake facility, missed my obvious disqualifying medical condition, a birth defect and deformity of my right hip. And 25 years later says it wasn't their fault I am crippled now.

:rant: :steamed: :dunno:

edited

MrMurphy
05-18-2008, 08:09
Well, us enlisted types would just love to find out you think that much of us.

Why would they DQ anyone who has allergies. EVERYONE gets allergies to something. I generally don't have any, but lowcrawling through waist high grass in Germany for days on end we (a whole squad) had them bad enough several guys got pills from the doc. Oh well. Do the mission and get it over with.

Codename46
05-18-2008, 08:26
Well, us enlisted types would just love to find out you think that much of us.

Why would they DQ anyone who has allergies. EVERYONE gets allergies to something. I generally don't have any, but lowcrawling through waist high grass in Germany for days on end we (a whole squad) had them bad enough several guys got pills from the doc. Oh well. Do the mission and get it over with.

I've read that the health standards (as far as allergies and stuff go) in the AF are a bit more strict than the other branches. And yes I have read about people getting DQ'ed for allergies and childhood eczema.

RickD6023
05-18-2008, 12:22
This one small part of my conscience says that I'm eventually going to get caught, get DQ'ed, fined, and sent to pound-me-in-the ass prison or something because I've withheld this info.

I've already made it this far in AFROTC. I'm currently a contracted scholarship recipient who is going to field training in about a month at Maxwell AFB. I've already signed the commitment contract and am currently applying for Secret Clearance. This is something I WANT to do.

Suggestions? Should I continue to be silent regarding the situation or just openly admit it? What would be my explanation in the event they do start being suspicious? What would be the legal ramifications of getting caught?

I too made the mistake back in 1968 during my AFROTC application physical to say that I had psoriasis that was mostly healed which disqualified me. The next year I reapplied but this time I had a physician note which said that I had a "non-specific papular eruption which was healed" and I was accepted.

Once you are in the door and they spend money you can have just about anything. Pilot training required 20/20 vision. Once you were a graduated pilot your eyes were allowed to be worse.

RF7126
05-19-2008, 01:29
To answer your question about making up your contract if DQed:
I was in ROTC, and on contract. To make a long story short, I lost motivation and stopped working out. I failed the PT test and was kicked out. They had paid for two semesters of college by that point. I was given the option of serving two years (I think, but it was shorter than 4 regardless) as enlisted from right then and there, or I could completely be discharged and owe them that money + any interest.

I'm currently looking at going enlisted by choice after nearly 4 years spent to "find myself", but at the time I didn't know what I wanted to do so I'm paying them back. I got deferments for college, but now I pay DFAS every month until I actually sign the line again.

Truthfully, I have no idea how this relates to a medical DQ. The impression I got at the time was that as long as you have been 100% honest up to this point, it's considered something out of your control and you're not penalized for it. But I could easily be wrong; you should ask the cadre about it if possible. For what it's worth, we had excellent NCOs in our unit, and I always went to them with an admin question like this .