For those knowledgable about Mustangs... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : For those knowledgable about Mustangs...

Trigger_Rush
05-18-2008, 03:12
I posted this on a Ford Mustang forum and haven't gotten answer. Or even any looks. I thought I'd try my luck here.

-------------

After I wrote this, I realized how long it is. I shall summarize now.

'89 LX 5.0 convertible. Runs great, save for few minor problems.

1. No AC. Request parts list for full AC replacement.
2. Has smog pump. Want it gone. Any special considerations?
3. Rear right suspension thunking, as if loose. Can convertible boot be opened from inside to access where tower bolts to car?
4. When tranny is cold, misses or grinds into reverse. Causes? Fixes?
5. Rad fan removed by previous owner. Current fan too small and held in with coat hangar wire, as is rad overflow tank. where does tank go, what size fan to replace?

As the title says, I bought an '89 LX 5.0 convertible. So far all I've had to do is put new tires on her, alignment, and replaced the front left brake line. Otherwise the car runs like a champ.

But there are a few things I'm not too sure about, and so I come to you. Also, most of what I've got to say came from a friend who has alot more Ford experience than I do, so don't shoot the messenger. I'd also like to state I'm mechanically inclined, but not a mechanic, so with some ok instruction, I can do just about anything.

1. My car has no AC. Yeah, it's a conv, but Arizona is damn hot. The guy who had the car before the guy I bought it from removed all the major components, but left a bunch of tubes and piping. I dunno. I'm just going to buy all the parts I need and install everything on a weekend. So what I'm looking for is a parts list for an AC replacement. Everything I need to get the cold blowing.

2. My car was at one time a California legal smog machine, as is evident by a smog pump. I want it gone, much on the same principle of removing the AC. Is this a good idea? If so, what do I need to do besides unbolt and get a shorter belt?

3. There's this annoying thunking coming fron the right rear suspension. I'm lead to believe it's a loose strut tower. It sounds like something hitting sheetmetal in response to suspension movement. If I detach the convertible boot from the inside, can I access the top of that tower to wrench it down? Or do I need to go in through the trunk?

4. When the transmission is cold, it'll grind a bit or totally miss the gear when I shift into reverse. I put the stick there and I don't get backwards. Doesn't happen when I pull in after I'd driven it awhile. Anything I can fix without dropping the tranny?

5. For some reason a prior owner removed the clutch fan (correct?) and replaced it with a much smaller electric fan that's turned on and off with a switch in the cab. I leave it on, (Arizona's hot, remember?). Also, the fan is held in there with coat hangar wire, along with the radiator overflow reservoir. Where does the reservoir usually go and what size fan should I have for my car?

All in all, that's what's wrong with my car. I greatly appreciate everyone who reads this and has anything helpful to say. Take care.

OUSooner
05-20-2008, 18:57
Not sure what Mustang forum you posted the question but do a search here or ask and you should have good luck getting your answers...

http://www.mustangforums.com/forumid_14/tt.htm

Ron3
05-28-2008, 19:01
I posted this on a Ford Mustang forum and haven't gotten answer. Or even any looks. I thought I'd try my luck here.

-------------

After I wrote this, I realized how long it is. I shall summarize now.

'89 LX 5.0 convertible. Runs great, save for few minor problems.

1. No AC. Request parts list for full AC replacement.

--Thats alot of stuff. Take it to a mechanic and let him see whats missing. Condenser, Evaporator, Compressor high pressure cut off, low pressure cut off, full throttle cut off, oriface, o-rings, oil, r134a, lines, and probobly a few things I'm forgetting.--

2. Has smog pump. Want it gone. Any special considerations?

---Just unbolt it, and get an appropiatly shorter serpantine belt. You'll have to plug the hoses/pipes that went to it, including at the exhaust mid-pipe.---

3. Rear right suspension thunking, as if loose. Can convertible boot be opened from inside to access where tower bolts to car?

---Don't know, you'll have to get under the car to see whats making noise. Could be a few things. The car has two shocks and two "quad shocks" that reduce axle hop. Struts are only up front.---

4. When tranny is cold, misses or grinds into reverse. Causes? Fixes?

---Reverse is not synchronized in the T-5 transmission. The standard way to get into reverse is to go into 5th, then back into reverse. It should not grind if you do this.---

5. Rad fan removed by previous owner. Current fan too small and held in with coat hangar wire, as is rad overflow tank. where does tank go, what size fan to replace?

---Man this car is in sad shape isn't it?! Put in a stock fan, shround, and overflow. You can many of the parts you need at www.50resto.com---

Hope this helps.

rifle-cop624
06-05-2008, 07:53
Good luck, man. I love my 89 LX. My remaining project is to get the new high output headlamps I ordered in. They almost fit, not quite, though. I'm a little nervous to start grinding away at mounting brackets but it looks to be the only way.
Then she needs new paint and she'll be my 19 year old girlfriend!