Mark's Guns - Florence [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mark's Guns - Florence

Bren
05-20-2008, 15:59
I'm not just starting random gunshop threads, but Mark's in Florence is one of the 2 Glock LE dealer's in Kentucky. I was thinking about going up there and buying a G17 with my GSSF certificate tomorrow, since Classic Arms doesn't have any G17's.

Anyhow, I talked to the guy on the phone and he didn't make me feel enthusiastic about driving to Florence to go to his shop. Anybody ever dealt with Mark's before? Opinions and experiences?

FPD45
05-20-2008, 17:33
I've bought a couple of guns there. OK to deal with, just depends on which employee. Do you know who you spoke with? They do tend to be on the pricey side.

Bren
05-20-2008, 18:15
They do tend to be on the pricey side.
Maybe that's why he didn't seem too thrilled about selling a Glock 17 at the GSSF/LE/Military price. I guess I'm going to make the trip unless Classic has miraculously gotten in a 17. I need it in time to put new sights on and use it for a match on 5/31.

spork
05-20-2008, 20:42
I have been in there a few times, though not recently. I remember them being overpriced.

South Fla
05-20-2008, 21:05
If you go early in the day, Kevin, the owner, will be there and he is pretty fair.

Later in the day, Joe will be there and he is OK, but I'd rather deal with Kevin.

They are a bit pricey, but with the GSSF coupon, it shouldn't matter.

Bren
05-21-2008, 11:20
I went up and got my 17 today. I dealt with the owner and he was very nice. Unbelieveable prices - a G17 costs $460 at Keene's and $470 at Bud's, but Mark's had them marked $599 (maybe he just amrked them at MSRP and actually sells them for less). He had a Sig P226 X-five priced $2,600+.

My gun, with the GSSF certificate, was $389+tax for an LE gun with 3 full-cap magazines.

South Fla
05-21-2008, 17:56
I went up and got my 17 today. I dealt with the owner and he was very nice. Unbelievable prices - a G17 costs $460 at Keene's and $470 at Bud's, but Mark's had them marked $599 (maybe he just marked them at MSRP and actually sells them for less). He had a Sig P226 X-five priced $2,600+.

My gun, with the GSSF certificate, was $389+tax for an LE gun with 3 full-cap magazines.

Glad that you got it at Mark's. I believe that Kevin does mark them at MSRP and then "talks turkey" with you. I guess that if just some schmoe walked in off the street and was willing to pay $599 for it, I am sure they will sell it to him at that price. Kevin is a great guy and in my dealings with him, he has always been fair.

Mark's does just about all of the LE business in Kenton, Campbell and Boone Counties, and not just because he is a Glock LE dealer. Some PDs use Keisler's, but I am not sure why.

crater
05-22-2008, 20:40
Just read your post today. I am going there tmrw to do some shooting with my daughter who is in from Calif. Mark' is in walking distance from my house and I have bought several guns from them. Both Kevin and Joe ( if you get to know him, will deal with you.) I admit ,when I was a newbie, I did pay MSPR for the gun's, but they did get to know me and since then ,start talking price
as soon as I want to look at a gun. I think they sell a lot of guns to people at MSRP, when they come there to qualify for thier CCW. The people have to stand in line to get to the firing line and have lots of time to look at the counter and what's under it. In honesty, that's how I got my G-30 (since sold)....

Glad you got a good deal.....

winder
06-02-2008, 13:30
Started going there when I first got into shooting several years ago. Never cared for the guys working there. Especially the old guy that sits behind the counter and shows no interest in helping you. Verrrrrry over priced as well. Range area is pretty much trashed. Most of the time several of the target carriers were broken and dragging on the ground and very dark as well. I switched to Shooters Supply in Independence when they opened and Mark's can't compare.

Bren
06-02-2008, 14:25
I switched to Shooters Supply in Independence when they opened and Mark's can't compare.

I take it they aren't related to Shooter's Supply in Louisville. I went in there the other day and it made Mark's look reasonable. I looked at a S&W 625JM that Bud's had for $721 INCLUDING shipping and it was priced $899 at SS. Then I saw a bunch of beat-up S&W revolvers that were NC Dept. of Corrections turn-ins and just as beat as every DOC revolver I''ve ever seen. They were priced in the $400 range - about the same as dead mint used S&W revolvers at Classic Arms or Bud's. The prices were so disturbing I didn't even enjoy looking at their stuff.

South Fla
06-02-2008, 15:31
Started going there when I first got into shooting several years ago. Never cared for the guys working there. Especially the old guy that sits behind the counter and shows no interest in helping you. Verrrrrry over priced as well. Range area is pretty much trashed. Most of the time several of the target carriers were broken and dragging on the ground and very dark as well. I switched to Shooters Supply in Independence when they opened and Mark's can't compare.

The old guy with the beard?

As far as Mark's being over-priced vs Shooters Supply in Independence, I was checking prices on a new .45, Kevin at Mark's quoted a price of $800.

Shooters Supply quoted $920 for the same gun.

Now that is over-priced.

Brian Dover
06-02-2008, 17:06
I take it they aren't related to Shooter's Supply in Louisville.

Strangely enough, Bren, there are THREE gun stores within about 100 miles of each other with the name 'Shooter's Supply'. You mentioned two of them--and no they are not related, nor is the third one. Shooter's Supply number three is located east of Cincinnati in Loveland Ohio. Those guys are fine, and I have no problems with the one in Independence, either.

winder
06-04-2008, 13:24
Two and a half years ago when I last visited Mark's they were selling Glocks for $599. I was buying them elsewhere for $469. Ruger 77/22's going for $100 to $150 more than I had seen elswhere as well. Maybe not all guns but the ones I was looking at.

Yeah, the guy with the beard.

The younger guy that drives the Mercedes suv was about as friendly as a rattlesnake as well. I inquired about a new Taurus semi-auto that was being advertised on the Taurus website and said he had never heard of it, didn't have it and promptly turned around and walked into the back office after several seconds of un-comfortable silence.

Mark's was my first gun store/range experience and I didn't care for it at all. Went to Shooters when they were still in the old building and Alex and Homer couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. Never looked back.

Brian Dover
06-05-2008, 10:57
Quick heads-up: I was at Shooter's Supply (Independence) today. They are having an anniversary sale. $25 off any firearm in stock, 10% off in-stock ammo. If I were a Bluegrass resident the Russian Makarov in the "used" case for $199 minus $25, plus tax, would NOT still be there! Always seem to have decent preowned guns at faitr prices, the sale would make them more so. :)

The Legend
06-05-2008, 11:18
Yeah, the guy with the beard.

The younger guy that drives the Mercedes suv was about as friendly as a rattlesnake as well.

The old guy with the beard seems like he is pissed off just to be there, much less helping you. He acts like when you ask him a question, you were stupid for asking in the first place, like you should already know the answer.

The younger guy who drives the SUV is Kevin, the owner of Mark's. The original owner, Mark, sold out to him several years ago.