PDA

View Full Version : toyota camry question

craig_o
05-22-2008, 11:26
redacted

dachaddwick
05-23-2008, 22:56
What year is the camry?

I had a 2000 and the only problem I had with mine was the transmition. at about 30,000 I blew it...there was no park or reverse, everything was drive. I really beat on the car though. luckily the warranty covered the repair. then when I got to 78,000 it went again and my gears were grinding while shifting (auto transmition) and I no longer had the warranty. thats when I traded it in and got myself the mustang that I was craving. luckuily they didnt drive my camry when they inspected it, just turned it on and looked around it. as soon as they gave me the papers for the trade in I signed it and got the hell out

JMS
05-24-2008, 13:44
G/f's check engine light went on which, I know, can mean 54,334 things.

She takes it in, they say it's some solenoid transmission valve case blah blah blah problem. How conveniently vague. Anyway, it COULD wreck her transmission so she better get it replaced for $400. They call her today, guess what, they want to put in a new transmission... just give us your college money and we're all set.

Keep in mind, the car is driving FINE.

My question is, they couched this as a "common problem" for the Camry. This reeks of scam to me, but I wanted to ask you folks who know something (which means way more) than me about Camrys: is there any truth to this statement?

Toyota dealer's would rather replace than fix. I would also stop by some transmission places for estimates. The shift solenoid valve does go up but by the time a dealer would tear it apart and fix it they'd rather replace it.

I would definitely baby the trans but if it's going to have to be replaced why not wait until it's gone anyhow, if it's not slipping/drive abnormally than just keep driving. I used to see it more with the auto trans linked the the 1MZ-FE V6 engine in Camry/Avalon.

perception
05-25-2008, 12:34
If they want to replace the transmission anyway, drive it until it dies. Get some estimates, but there is no sense replacing the tranny if it still runs.

knightkrawler00
05-26-2008, 03:21
When it comes to Toyota, if the dealer needs to go deeper than the valve body, it gets a new transmission. It's not the dealer's choice. You may be able to get it fixed at an independent, not sure if they have the tools or not.

ecmills
07-07-2008, 20:58
It's not just Toyota, that's pretty much across the board.

Cars get reman'd trannys now days. That's just the way it is. If we pull apart a transmission and replace the pump or a planetary, and it craps out on you... Then that dealer has to eat the repair cost a second time. And the tech is working for free for a day and a half as well. Neither us nor the dealership wants that. Remember, not only are they NOT getting paid for that job, it's also tying up a tech that could be pulling in paying jobs in its place.

Back at Volvo, and at Suzuki, things worked the same way. A few manual tranny items were doen more in depth. (Put a new 5th gear, fork, synchro, etc in quite a few Zuks).. But here at Toyota it's the same as everywhere else I've worked.

PM me the cars VIN, year/model/mileage/motor/etc, and I'll see if I can find anything for you if you'd like, regarding a bulletin on the repair or something. The specific trouble code (should look something like P04110) they pulled would also really help.