Spinning: Large Diameter vs small diameter spool? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Spinning: Large Diameter vs small diameter spool?

Arbee
06-28-2002, 05:52
Anyone have experience with both and can make a comparison? Diawa spin reels tend to have long, large diameter spools and Shimano tend to have shorter, smaller diameter spools. I have only used Shimano (2000) and like it, but think the larger diameter designs may result in less line memory and potential for tangles. Perhaps even cast farther. I am thinking about the Diawa in particular for a surfcasting and tailwater striper reel. Anyone used either brand for these kinds of fishing?

sharpshooter
07-08-2002, 00:20
I've heard that wider spools facilitate longer casting. I use ultra-lightweight rods and reels exclusively, and those spools are rarely wide or long.

Line diameter seems to be the key for my rig. Buy the limpest and thinnest line you can find in the test weight you need.

Arbee
07-08-2002, 07:01
sharpcaster --- thanks. I have a couple of ultralight reels and one rod, more to add. The reels actually are "long stroke" (Quantum Micro XL1), which should help, but I don't have any other ultralight experience to compare them with. My original question had to do with my considering a surf/tailwater rig. Since then I have found that Shimano also has wide spool spin reels.