Books about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Books about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

bigj480
05-23-2008, 19:31
Sadly, I am completely ignorant on this subject. It plays too large a role in our international relations for me to justify staying ignorant on the subject. I would like for y'all to recommend some unbiased books. I actually wouldn't mind a couple books that argue for each side so that I can decide for my self also. Thanks.

Sgt. Rambo
05-25-2008, 09:41
I'm there with you and really have an interest in the subject. Any one with any good books I'm all for it.

Targettarget
05-25-2008, 19:44
I have read this one and it's pretty in depth.

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/12580000/12582986.jpg

I have not read this one, but have heard it is just as good....from an Arab point of view.

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8530000/8538830.jpg

bigj480
05-25-2008, 21:14
Thank you Target. Both books look great. I will probably start with the first one that you suggested and, if I find one side to be more justified, I'll buy a book written from the opposite point of view. You know, to completely confuse myself.:cool:

Targettarget
05-25-2008, 21:32
From Beirut to Jerusalem is a pretty balanced book that gives an in depth look at the current issues. He does touch on how the current situation came to be what it is, but it's not in "text book" type detail, which is good, because if there is one thing I can't stand it's allot of useless facts that in now way affect to outcome.

Keep in mind that it is written by a Jew, not that that's bad, but it is something to keep in minds while reading.

seed
05-25-2008, 21:52
Some authors who have written on the subject that many here at GT will probably bash (without base) include Noam Chomskey and Norman G. Finkelstein. Their research is impeccable, but others here will state otherwise. And then they will likely tell you to read "From a Time Immemorial" by Joan Peters, which was picked apart by Finkelstein and many others in Europe and exposed to be one of the greatest frauds in nonfiction in the 20th Century. Many here will deny that as well.

And they'll probably tell you to read Dershowitz... He too was exposed for the fraud he is, as well as being a plagiarist. But be careful who you say that to, as he is fond of threatening lawsuits.

There are many others of course. Don't forget to check the human rights web pages for the latest. B'Tselem (which focuses on the conflict and related subject matter) is considered the most "Left" while Human Rights Watch is considered much more on the Right (comparatively, only). You can read periodicals from the area as well, such as Haaretz (which is pretty balanced, but will be bashed here at GT for sure).

If you wish to read about other ancillary subjects, such as the Israeli lobby there are many to choose which will be bashed here, including "They Dare to Speak Out", by Paul Findley.

Anyway, I have to go. Good luck and don't get too depressed reading about it. I, myself have taken a slight break from the subject and am currently fixated on the the petro-dollar recycling system as well as the reality of so-called economic hitmen. Very fascinating stuff!

bigj480
05-27-2008, 05:19
Thanks for the reply seed. I don't really find GT members to be very objective on political issues, especially those which involve the middle east. I may check out the books you mentioned. This is not a topic I expect to understand overnight. How about sending me a PM with recommendations on the other two subjects? Sound interesting.