Glock's Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock's Ammo

nat222
05-24-2008, 05:24
Is it really true that Glock is picky when it comes to ammo? Im planning to get a G23 for my EDC. Researched in the net and found out that Glock in .40 are more prone to KB? But was able to talk to my friend who's a Glock 22 owner and told me there's nothing wrong in using reload ammo provided you'll use FMJ head. Is that true? Need clarification here. That's my dilemma right now.

Thanks alot!

Poodle
05-24-2008, 05:53
You may refer to these sites:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/40fed-kb.html

I'm using a Wilson Combat barrel for my G21 and compared to the OEM G21 barrel, the Wilson Barrel's feed ramp is more steep which means that there is more support in the underside of the cartridge. This might result in more misfeeds as compared to the OEM barrel but so far, the Wilson barrel performs well with reloaded rounds. Very few stoppages. Had problems with lead reloads from one gunstore (not cycling properly) and light strike but that was a long time ago - they were probably ammo related.

Suggest you get an aftermarket barrel (Lone wolf?)

TTPower
05-24-2008, 06:19
glocks are one of the most reliable firearm that u can find today. they have been through almost all the torture test u can think of! :) and 75% of the law enforcement agencies in the U.S. use and are issued glocks (this must mean something). regarding the KBs... its ok to use reloads just make sure its FMJ or copper or teflon coated. if u clean ur glock after every 300 to 500 rounds i dont think u'll have any problems with them :)

Sweater
05-24-2008, 08:20
If you are using reloads , make sure the lenght of the ammo are the same as the factory loads, just my experience , I have a G22 with a KKM barrel that had problems with feeding when I used the reloads . --Sweater

MERCMADE
05-25-2008, 00:10
I have a 22c and I've been using reloads on it, no problem, although I make it a point to use only fmj heads. I've reloaded brass up to 4x with no KBs, each time i have shells reloaded i run them through a bullet gauge(dillon) before i use them. If i had the dough I would buy an after market barrel for it for "insurance", I'd use the aftermarket barrel for range work, then revert back tto the stock barrel for carry ( to insure reliability).
As to glocks legendary reliability, they are the "maytags" of firearms. I've carried a couple of different guns before, but now i find myself carrying the glock solely, simply because they are friggin tough and reliable, perfect for EDC.

Poodle
05-25-2008, 18:09
From Glock FAQ:

The one factor we have not looked at, yet, is the "unsupported chamber".

This, too, is another cause of many kaBOOMs, and it, again, is connected, at least partially, to caliber. For example, if you looked at an engineer's drawing of the 40S&W case, you would see that the web (the area of the sidewall of the case that begins tapering thicker as you get towards the base of the case) starts much farther down the case than the 10mm, which it was designed from. The reason for this was that when 10mm cases were trimmed down to make the first, wildcat 40S&W cases and bullets of 180gr or heavier were seated in them, the case bulged because the heel of the bullet ran into the beginning of the web of the cut-off 10mm brass. Reamers had to be used to shorten the converted cases' web to allow seating the 180gr bullets desired.

When setting up to make 40S&W brass this was a known problem, and to correct it, the web simply starts lower and thickens more rapidly so that it is still the same thickness as the 10mm by the time you reach the base of the case. This is fine, except on chambers which have relatively long tapers to their feed ramps, such as the Glock. What happens now is that a thinner area of the case is over the beginning area of the feed ramp (the "unsupported" area) and with a case that has too brittle brass, or soft brass, or cracked brass, or an over-pressure load, you can have a kaBOOM.

glockiz
05-26-2008, 10:08
i have g23, after 200 rounds of fmj ammos, i fed it with hundreds of rounds of lead head reloaded ammos. i spent more or less 100 rounds every visit to the range with it, now that my wifey is joining me in the range, i have to add another 50 rounds of reloaded ammos.

still no probs in using reloaded ammos, and am still using glock stock barrel.
my load data for my g23 is 180 grains, 4.6g but still experimenting for the right and perfect load data for my g23.

Poodle
05-27-2008, 00:04
i have g23, after 200 rounds of fmj ammos, i fed it with hundreds of rounds of lead head reloaded ammos. i spent more or less 100 rounds every visit to the range with it, now that my wifey is joining me in the range, i have to add another 50 rounds of reloaded ammos.

still no probs in using reloaded ammos, and am still using glock stock barrel.
my load data for my g23 is 180 grains, 4.6g but still experimenting for the right and perfect load data for my g23.

Copy Sir. Do you use semi wad heads? What OAL do you use?

atmarcella
05-30-2008, 23:04
the only pistol i have is a g22.