.45 Gap [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45 Gap

edtf
05-24-2008, 06:09
Is the .45 GAP available here in Manila? Anyone using this?

TTPower
05-24-2008, 06:29
meron ata pero its so hard to find one. and if u find 1 its going to be expensive. and also ur going to have a hard time looking for someone who can reload for u.

isuzu
05-24-2008, 08:14
Which brings us to the question: Did the round ever gain popularity outside of the US?

edtf
05-24-2008, 17:07
I was just thinking - the GAP is just shorter than the reg .45 why not just cut down the .45 to be a GAP? BUT yup never saw a .45 GAP here yet (ammo or the pistol)

boholglock
05-24-2008, 17:56
Nashe had a Glock 37 on display last gunshow. They should have some GAP if they are selling such pistol.

isuzu
05-24-2008, 18:34
I was just thinking - the GAP is just shorter than the reg .45 why not just cut down the .45 to be a GAP? BUT yup never saw a .45 GAP here yet (ammo or the pistol)

That's not possible. The 45 ACP uses large pistol primers while the 45 GAP uses small pistol primers. I believe this is to prevent over-ignition which could lead to pressure spikes in a smaller case.

edtf
05-25-2008, 02:11
That's not possible. The 45 ACP uses large pistol primers while the 45 GAP uses small pistol primers. I believe this is to prevent over-ignition which could lead to pressure spikes in a smaller case.

aahhhh you got me there!! I didn't know the GAP uses small primers - oh well I was just thinking out loud. Thanks for the heads up!!

Poodle
05-25-2008, 17:49
Last gun show, PB Dionisio was selling .45 GAP rounds. It seems that there is still some confusion in the mind of the guy I spoke with because I was buying .45 ACP rounds and when he asked me what FA it was intended for, I said Glock 21. At that, he said I should get the .45 GAP because my pistol is a Glock. Even insisted on it, saying that the .45 ACP will not feed in my Glock 21. When I explained the difference (even saying that I shot thousands of rounds of .45 ACP in the G21), I got the feeling that he still didn't believe me.

edtf
05-25-2008, 22:58
Last gun show, PB Dionisio was selling .45 GAP rounds. It seems that there is still some confusion in the mind of the guy I spoke with because I was buying .45 ACP rounds and when he asked me what FA it was intended for, I said Glock 21. At that, he said I should get the .45 GAP because my pistol is a Glock. Even insisted on it, saying that the .45 ACP will not feed in my Glock 21. When I explained the difference (even saying that I shot thousands of rounds of .45 ACP in the G21), I got the feeling that he still didn't believe me.

Wow talk about misinformation!! That is pretty sad and I thought people at PBD knew their stuff pretty well :(

crazy_hans
05-26-2008, 00:30

fr. who did you talk to last gun show?is the tall guy with a fair complexion?if yes he is no longer there.hahahaha finally!he got a lot of complaints from customers including me.he doesn't know the stuff that he sells and nuknukan pa ng bastos.

Poodle
05-27-2008, 00:07
fr. who did you talk to last gun show?is the tall guy with a fair complexion?if yes he is no longer there.hahahaha finally!he got a lot of complaints from customers including me.he doesn't know the stuff that he sells and nuknukan pa ng bastos.

Yes, I think so. Well. he should not really give wrong info especially when it comes to guns and ammo. Good for PBD.

Punisher_nbi45
05-27-2008, 08:38
I still don't get the 45GAP...maybe i'm just one of those slow-thinking country bumpkins who just doesn't get the idea of replacing the "venerable .45acp" with something that is nearly equivalent in ballistics, and you can put in a 9mm-size package...i haven't had any info regarding shootings or what have you, but my guess is that if you really needed a potent round in a 9mm-size package, you should go for the .357 Sig.

Anyway, does anybody here like the 45Gap? Could you please give me your opinions on this particular round, and will it likely replace the 45ACP down the road? Thanks.

atmarcella
05-31-2008, 18:23
gusto lang kasi ni gaston me ammo na me pangngalan nya. kagaya ng 40s&w or 357sig.

edtf
05-31-2008, 19:07
gusto lang kasi ni gaston me ammo na me pangngalan nya. kagaya ng 40s&w or 357sig.

YUP that is what I heard too - something to boost his ego :). BUT the GAP had pretty good reviews before - (ok ok I just heard that :) )

atmarcella
06-02-2008, 02:41
i guess that ammo will just die a slow death. glock themselves helped kill the ammo by coming out with the g21sf.

Django
06-02-2008, 08:07
While we cannot discount the possibility that there might have been a miniscule ego of Gaston Glock at play in the creation of the 45 GAP, the probable reason why that round was designed was that the think tanks of Glock wanted a shorter 45 cal round so that the girth of the grip of the Glock pistol would be smaller. The bright boys of Gaston figured that a lot of people (me included) have a strong love affair with the 45 caliber. They also figured that a lot of these 45 guys do not like the GLOCK 21 chambered for this round because they'd need large mitts to adequately handle it. So why not design a shorter 45 bullet for a 45 Glock gun with smaller grips?

atmarcella
06-02-2008, 08:33
the g21sf has smaller grips. close enough to the g17/22/35/.357 frame. damo pa bala!

sir. pinaka bag-o nga SF.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/HG_shortandsweet_200807/index.html

good link also for 45acp fans.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/HG_45polymershootout_200807/index.html

Thx-1138
06-02-2008, 09:49
The .45GAP is a sweet shooter. Comparable ballistics to the .45ACP, it comes in a smaller package; smaller than a 21SF. For those who don't mind the larger size of the .45ACP guns, by all means stick with them. But some of us like the feel of the thinner, shorter grip of the standard Glocks, and still want .45 bullets.

I don't know if the GAPs will have much of a following outside the US; but it's gaining in popularity here, not losing.

Allegra
06-02-2008, 16:42
The .45GAP is a sweet shooter. Comparable ballistics to the .45ACP, it comes in a smaller package; smaller than a 21SF. For those who don't mind the larger size of the .45ACP guns, by all means stick with them. But some of us like the feel of the thinner, shorter grip of the standard Glocks, and still want .45 bullets.

I don't know if the GAPs will have much of a following outside the US; but it's gaining in popularity here, not losing.

haha great avatar!

Django
06-02-2008, 19:43

I would think so. I think in a matter of time, this caliber will get the attention it deserves. I still remember when the question of the day then was: "Who needs a .caliber 40? We already have the 9mm and the 45."

bulm540
06-02-2008, 20:39
Georgia State Police and a couple of Law enforncement Agencies have switched to .45 GAP.

atmarcella
06-03-2008, 07:53
haha great avatar!

princess bride! great sword fights! + andre the giant!

Clusterbomb
06-04-2008, 04:27
If at all, it would be a slow acceptance here sa 'Pinas.

Are there any other pistols other than the Glock brand that have been designed for the 45GAP? That would be very crucial. Eh kung sa Glock pistols lang yan available, how can you lure those shooters who might want the round but do not like Glocks?

Two reasons why the 40S&W became an immediate hit: a) There had been a long perceived need/want for a "compromise" round between the 9mm Para and the 45ACP; and b) configuring existing pistol designs at that time to handle the new 40S&W round did not present overly complicated engineering design problems. So it became easy for shooters to shoot the new round in the pistol brand/design that they wanted.

crazy_hans
06-04-2008, 07:41
sir clusterbomb meron na din hs and para chambered 45gap funny because stronghand sells hs in 45 gap but they don't sell that kind of ammo yet.

bulm540
06-04-2008, 17:20
I think springfield did . DOn't know if they are still manufacturung any.

Kaiser Soze
06-04-2008, 19:40
I still don't get the 45GAP...maybe i'm just one of those slow-thinking country bumpkins who just doesn't get the idea of replacing the "venerable .45acp" with something that is nearly equivalent in ballistics, and you can put in a 9mm-size package...i haven't had any info regarding shootings or what have you, but my guess is that if you really needed a potent round in a 9mm-size package, you should go for the .357 Sig.

Anyway, does anybody here like the 45Gap? Could you please give me your opinions on this particular round, and will it likely replace the 45ACP down the road? Thanks.

Hehehe, bro, the .45 GAP is supposedly for people who won't settle for anything less than a .45 head but have qualms over the grip size of their pistols.

I was able to handle a .45 GAP Springfield a few months ago, and it is pretty slim. But like you said, given a choice I'd go for something more available here, like the .357sig or .40 cal.

May .45 GAP ammo sa Nashe and sa Twin Pines BTW.

Clusterbomb
06-04-2008, 21:41
sir clusterbomb meron na din hs and para chambered 45gap funny because stronghand sells hs in 45 gap but they don't sell that kind of ammo yet.

Ah, OK. So that's one. Anymore brands/designs jumping into the bandwagon? Its been more than a year already since the 45GAP came out di ba?

Ano kaya, maglabas ang S&W ng M625 revolver in 45GAP? The only advantage I could see in that configuration is a shorter cylinder. That would result in a lighter mass to turn everytime you pull the trigger in DA mode.

Django
06-04-2008, 22:14
IIRC the 45 GAP cartridge was introduced in the late 2004. It was designed by Ernest Durham, an engineer with CCI/Speer at the behest of Glock. Seems that there were some accuracy issues initially with the cartridge but I think they have rectified this of late.

The .40 debuted in January 1990 having evolved from the 10mm. It was an offshoot of the "FBI load" or the "10mm lite" which basically was a down loaded 10mm because of issues in the manageability of the full powered 10mm load. S&W redesigned the bullet and we have what we now know as the 40S&W.

Punisher_nbi45
06-06-2008, 03:54
So which would be the better overall round? Accuracy, stopping power, etc.

That's why it's so great to be here, one could get lots of information and meet great people in the process.

Going back to the discussion, What would you choose? I'd still go with the 45 acp. Just want to get other opinions why one would choose the 45 GAP over the 45 acp.

Poodle
06-10-2008, 06:08
So which would be the better overall round? Accuracy, stopping power, etc.

That's why it's so great to be here, one could get lots of information and meet great people in the process.

Going back to the discussion, What would you choose? I'd still go with the 45 acp. Just want to get other opinions why one would choose the 45 GAP over the 45 acp.

Me too, I would still go with the .45 ACP. What other reasons are there for one to choose the GAP over the ACP aside from the smaller grip?

Glock_XXXVII
06-12-2008, 02:11
Georgia State Police and a couple of Law enforncement Agencies have switched to .45 GAP.
also CA and PA.

Poodle
06-12-2008, 04:42
also CA and PA.

What caliber were they using before?