LETTER TO PDI "Cabuyao robbery debunks gun ban rationale" - by our own Darwin P. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LETTER TO PDI "Cabuyao robbery debunks gun ban rationale" - by our own Darwin P.

brawnless
05-25-2008, 18:43
http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/letterstotheeditor/view/20080526-138790/Cabuyao-robbery-debunks-gun-ban-rationale

Cabuyao robbery debunks gun ban rationale

Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 00:42:00 05/26/2008

MANILA, Philippines - The bank robbery in Cabuyao, Laguna, where 10 people were murdered in cold blood, provides a strong argument against Nandy Pacheco’s call for a total gun ban in public places. There were no policemen when the robbery and killings were perpetrated. Except for the murdered security guard—who I’m sure was ill-trained and poorly-armed—I’d bet none of those other nine victims were armed.

And since there was no one else armed, the robbers freely did their thing and killed everyone inside the bank without a fight. Had there been a legally armed citizen carrying a weapon that was concealed, it might not have been so easy for the robbers to commit the murders.

I am not blaming the police. But they are undermanned and ill-equipped. And even if there were enough of them, all properly armed, they just can’t be with us to protect us 24/7. The police are mainly a reactive force. It helps when there is police visibility, which helps deter crime. But the police are, to repeat, mainly a reactive force.

I believe that citizens should begin to legally arm themselves and learn how to defend themselves with weapons that they can conceal so that they will not become helpless victims of heinous crimes. I think we all agree that criminals shouldn’t have guns. But what’s the advantage of disarming the good people?

—DARWIN PASCO,
Blk 7, Lot 29 Sarmiento Homes, Muzon, San Jose
Del Monte City, Bulacan

darwin25
05-25-2008, 19:38
http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/letterstotheeditor/view/20080526-138790/Cabuyao-robbery-debunks-gun-ban-rationale

MANILA, Philippines - The bank robbery in Cabuyao, Laguna, where 10 people were murdered in cold blood, provides a strong argument against Nandy Pacheco’s call for a total gun ban in public places. There were no policemen when the robbery and killings were perpetrated. Except for the murdered security guard—who I’m sure was ill-trained and poorly-armed—I’d bet none of those other nine victims were armed.

And since there was no one else armed, the robbers freely did their thing and killed everyone inside the bank without a fight. Had there been a legally armed citizen carrying a weapon that was concealed, it might not have been so easy for the robbers to commit the murders.

I am not blaming the police. But they are undermanned and ill-equipped. And even if there were enough of them, all properly armed, they just can’t be with us to protect us 24/7. The police are mainly a reactive force. It helps when there is police visibility, which helps deter crime. But the police are, to repeat, mainly a reactive force.

I believe that citizens should begin to legally arm themselves and learn how to defend themselves with weapons that they can conceal so that they will not become helpless victims of heinous crimes. I think we all agree that criminals shouldn’t have guns. But what’s the advantage of disarming the good people?

—DARWIN PASCO,
Del Monte City, Bulacan

This is heavily edited. It was much more different when I wrote it

deenoh
05-25-2008, 19:48
Darwin, Please send me a copy of the unedited version of your letter.

isuzu
05-25-2008, 20:22
This is heavily edited. It was much more different when I wrote it

That's a shame. Why edit something that tells the reality of the current situation back home, and would hopefully help in provide answers to the problem?

I recall that I never saw a firearms advertisement on PDI. It was always at the Manila Bulletin.

Is PDI anti-gun?

isuzu
05-25-2008, 20:24
I was watching a TV show from the US a couple of months ago that featured CCW states. Crime went down on states that allowed CCW.

Need we say more?

bisoy
05-25-2008, 20:31
bro darwin, why not post the unedited version here? i would like to read it sana. thanks

brawnless
05-25-2008, 20:52
bro darwin, why not post the unedited version here? i would like to read it sana. thanks

+1

or have a new thread with

"Unedited version of letter to..." :)

horge
05-25-2008, 20:53
Darwin,

Thank you very much for sending that out.

The edited version isn't bad at all.
It gets to the point, and makes the point clearly.
(the copy writers at PROGUN should take note)

I'd love to read the original version, but the one that saw print
is good enough to merit a sticked thread

brawnless
05-25-2008, 21:13
That's a shame. Why edit something that tells the reality of the current situation back home, and would hopefully help in provide answers to the problem?

I recall that I never saw a firearms advertisement on PDI. It was always at the Manila Bulletin.

Is PDI anti-gun?

Most likely for a majority of their columnists. :(

Monsters with Guns
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872860
http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquirer...ters-with-guns

There are also at least 2 columnists who have flawed ideas about the purpose of firearms. I can't remember the date/s when they posted their respective opinions.

Mr. Tulfo seems to be the minority if not the only pro gun columnist in PDI.

CatsMeow
05-25-2008, 21:17
Bravo, Darwin!:wave:

I'd wait for the unedited one, but this is just as good. The problem is they give Pacheco more space:steamed: than yours, even in my favorite newspaper, the Philippine Star.

Let's see....

It is illegal to possess an unlicensed firearm....
It is illegal to carry a firearm outside one's residence without a permit....
It is illegal to impersonate a police officer....
It is illegal to commit robbery, especially with the use of firearms, which aggravates the penalty....
It is illegal to commit murder....

But did it matter to those robbers? Noooo...:upeyes:

Thing is, Pacheco and his ilk see us gun owners as kooks and weirdos just because we have a fascination for firearms.

darwin25
05-25-2008, 21:56
Ahehe. I dopn't have the original version wala kasi draft yun e. But here is what I said

MANILA, Philippines - The bank robbery in Cabuyao, Laguna, where 10 people were murdered in cold blood, provides a strong argument (I specificaly said VERY STUPID, caps supplied) against Nandy Pacheco’s call for a total gun ban in public places. There were no policemen when the robbery and killings were perpetrated. Except for the murdered security guard—who I’m sure was ill-trained and poorly-armed—I’d bet none of those other nine victims were armed.

I added " I fully support our PNP in their drive against criminality and criminal elements. I am not blaming the police. But they are undermanned and ill-equipped. And even if there were enough of them, all properly armed and well equipped, they just can’t be with us to protect us 24/7. The police are mainly a reactive force. It helps when there is police visibility, which helps deter crime (I specifically commended our PNP for their noticeable drive to step up police visibility). But the police are, to repeat, mainly a reactive force. (I added "when seconds count, the police are minutes away")

—DARWIN PASCO,
Del Monte City, Bulacan

Somehow, in the PDI transcript, I feel that my show of support for our PNP is left out.

CatsMeow
05-25-2008, 22:00
Perfect, Darwin! Your term "very stupid" hit the mark especially since Pacheco called us "selfish" and in so many words accusing us of not caring for the common good.

dinggaling
05-26-2008, 01:12

or better yet, why not share it here in the forum so we can all enjoy it. :supergrin:

dinggaling
05-26-2008, 01:14

or better yet, why not share the unedited version here in the forum so we can all enjoy it. :supergrin:

tigra
05-26-2008, 01:22
galing mo, idol darwin!!!:thumbsup:

TTPower
05-26-2008, 07:27
that's a good one darwin :thumbsup:

Glock_19_9x19
05-26-2008, 23:13
Splendid sir Darwin! :thumbsup: