In Florida can EMTs start IV's? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : In Florida can EMTs start IV's?

rally
05-27-2008, 17:50
In florida can EMTs start IVs? Just curious.....

On another note I want to work myself up to paramedic and/or firefighter with EMS being the first logical step. How hard is it to get a job as a EMT in the central florida area? How much can I expect to make and how hard will it be to attend transition over to paramedic with the schedule?

Thanks

Fire_Medic
05-27-2008, 21:08
Technically no you can't start IV's as an EMT in Florida. However, there are departments where the officer won't care and will let you, but on paper will write the medics license/badge #. If you're looking at private EMS about $10/Hour or so for EMT if you drive also. If you want to get on a fire/rescue department my advice, from personal experience is get your Paramedic license before your Fire certification, it will be the key to getting hired. Everyone is after Paramedics in the fire service especially from central Florida heading up North. Took me 4 years to get on, and the department I currently work for took my application while I was in Medic school. Got my license in December, started working in January. I was always denied a job as an EMT/Firefighter, besides placing in the top 10% on exams because I was not a Medic.

I myself am more partial to the FIRE side of the fire service, but the reality is that being a medic is where the opportunities and the money is at.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have or help you might need.

:cool:

tc2129
05-28-2008, 16:08
EMT's can become IV ceritfied throught the service you are employed by as long as the Medical Director signs off. When I stated in 1998, I took an IV class taught by my service and was signed off by the MD. So yes, an EMT can become IV certified, it is just service specific.

Fireman1291
06-20-2008, 20:59
Yes you can if the medical director of your county/city area authorizes the EMT's and you take a IV course. Im a FF/EMT for Pasco County and I start IV's every shift. Hell our EMT's do everything but tube patients......

Renny
07-07-2008, 21:18
It's not part of the EMT-B cert, but like they said, you can be signed off on it by your Medical Director.

Or you can go to school for a year and become an EMT-P.

I'll let you know how that works out for me once I graduate.

R

caneau
07-14-2008, 03:56
FYI, Intermediates (in places where they still do exist) can start IVs. There's a decent push to have EMT-Bs be doing what I's used to (IVs and a few expanded drugs + intubation) and P's to have more duties (i.e. 2 year associates degree mandatory and touching upon what's right now CCEMTP). How long before this trickles down to your region is anybody's guess.