Rules for Rendering Hand Salute of U.S. Flag [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Rendering Hand Salute of U.S. Flag

Blitzer
05-28-2008, 01:39
Rules for Rendering Hand Salute of U.S. Flag (http://www.military.com/benefits/resources/rules-for-rendering-hand-salute-of-u.s.-flag)

New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag <!-- .article-header -->

The National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 contained an amendment to allow un-uniformed servicemembers, military retirees, and veterans to render a hand salute during the hoisting, lowering, or passing of the U.S. flag. The amendment does not address saluting the flag during the playing of the national anthem, pledge of allegiance, honors (i.e. Taps), or any other saluting situations.
Excerpt from H.R. 4986:

SEC. 594. CONDUCT BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES AND VETERANS OUT OF UNIFORM DURING HOISTING, LOWERING, OR PASSING OF UNITED STATES FLAG.

Section 9 of title 4, United States Code, is amended by striking “all persons present” and all that follows through the end of the section and inserting the following: “all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.”

RussP
05-30-2008, 19:21
About time...

My buddy, a former Marine and I went to the races a couple years ago. When they presented the colors and played the Anthem we sure as heck rendered a hand salute.

:patriot:

Meat-Hook
06-03-2008, 15:50
Is this a proposal, or has this actually been signed into law????

deadday
06-03-2008, 16:34
I don't need a new law to tell me that I can salute Her....it is good to see it on paper though I suppose...

10-32
06-03-2008, 17:04
I don't need a new law to tell me that I can salute Her....it is good to see it on paper though I suppose...

I've seen many proud Vets who felt the same way. But yes, nice to see.

I'll have to keep up on policy changes on post, if any, for when we are in civilains. Before we were to stand at attention, but if they add the salute I'm cool with that.

WIG19
06-09-2008, 10:44
About time...

My buddy, a former Marine and I went to the races a couple years ago. When they presented the colors and played the Anthem we sure as heck rendered a hand salute.

:patriot:Same here, it's virtually muscle-memory. By Reveille I've usually been at work for nearly an hour anyway, a nice walk outside to stretch, and attention with a hand-salute. Had colors presented at ball games too, and never had anyone asking why I didn't have my hand the same way as when I was a little kid and pledged allegiance.

Interesting: We have one Presidential candidate who may render a salute, and then we have another...

:patriot:

deadday
06-09-2008, 14:08
I've seen many proud Vets who felt the same way. But yes, nice to see.

I'll have to keep up on policy changes on post, if any, for when we are in civilains. Before we were to stand at attention, but if they add the salute I'm cool with that.

Out and about on post, I'll stop and stand at attention for the horns if I hear them in time, but I ALWAYS stop and salute thhe flag for Taps at 2300...

drew

10-32
06-10-2008, 23:44
Out and about on post, I'll stop and stand at attention for the horns if I hear them in time, but I ALWAYS stop and salute thhe flag for Taps at 2300...

drew

Fair enough. I've been stationed at the hospital here for the past year, and while it's technically a part of the post, they don't do that here. Nada. I suppose with all the civilians in and out of the hospital, it would be a mess but I still think something should be done.