Narra Tree, are they still plentiful? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Narra Tree, are they still plentiful?

chowchow
05-29-2008, 15:32
Diba bawal ang pagpuputol ng mga ito?

Symbolism
It is the national tree of the Philippines, as well as the provincial tree of Chonburi and ****et in Thailand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angsana

bisoy
05-29-2008, 18:11
do u mean seedlings or full grown trees? alam ko marami pang seedlings nito.

Clusterbomb
05-29-2008, 18:42
Aren't those trees lining that portion of Quezon Avenue from EDSA to QC Memorial Circle narra trees?

In wild, maybe there aren't many left- those not yet discovered by illegal loggers.

Wp.22
05-29-2008, 20:05
i saw one in the dining room of my uncle and in my mom's house

Allegra
05-30-2008, 02:12
I have some in between the tiles :) and I may add , these were bought before the ban ahem
Illegal to cut and truck

Clusterbomb
05-30-2008, 03:16
these were bought before the ban ahem
Illegal to cut and truck

I heard that same line from the late Senator Ramon Mitra himself, ha-ha-ha.

We were in Palawan one time and he was gracious enough to show us his house in Puerto Princesa. The living room was huge and the rafters were all supported by this large, tall tree trunk proped up in the middle of the room.

pipo
05-31-2008, 07:14
i have one big tree in my front lawn

chowchow
05-31-2008, 07:56
Pati termite cannot eat the wood, it has natural repellant.

Allegra
05-31-2008, 08:01
Pati termite cannot eat the wood, it has natural repellant.

That's not true
Ferocious mga termites dito

chowchow
05-31-2008, 13:12
ferocious beasts ba? walang tigil pa naman kung kumakain.

edtf
05-31-2008, 18:04
I think madami dami pa narra kasi even the furniture makers are not using narra that much anymore. Matigas lang ata yung Narra kaya hindi makain ng anay.

gen1
05-31-2008, 18:23
bawal to cut old growth narra, but you can cut if you planted it yourself in private lots. You still need DENR permission to cut and transport though which is a ***** to get.

edtf
05-31-2008, 19:04
bawal to cut old growth narra, but you can cut if you planted it yourself in private lots. You still need DENR permission to cut and transport though which is a ***** to get.

You still have to get a barangay clearance then a DENR clearance and from what I know Narra is a protected tree so almost next to impossible to get a clearance to cut even if it is in your lot.
That is why Mahogany is usually used for tree farming. But still hassle pa rin to get DENR clearances to cut it and transport it.

I guess this goes the same line as legal gun owners with PTC VS illegal gun carriers.

Longbow
05-31-2008, 19:39
I just brought back some. I'll be using it for a custom grip project. My uncle gave it to me. The ones on top are langka wood.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa87/DVC45/SSPX0035.jpg

edtf
05-31-2008, 19:47
as a small trivia - if you want that reddish grain look of narra but don't want to use narra a good replacement is santol wood - pretty hard and same characteristics as narra.

Longbow, How about Kamagong wood? I think kamagong would make nice grips. But the wood is pretty rare indeed

Longbow
05-31-2008, 19:55
Longbow, How about Kamagong wood? I think kamagong would make nice grips. But the wood is pretty rare indeed

Yes, he told me about kamagong wood, but I did not have enough time to look around for it. I told him to save some for me, so when I come to visit again, I'll bring back some. He has a kalabaw woodwork made of kamagong. Its really pretty.
He also had anahaw, but it was so heavy (whole block), so I left it.

chowchow
05-31-2008, 20:17
Diba ang Narra is Rosewood in its english name? Nakita ko ang dameng antique furnitures (late 1800s) esp imported from France and Europe , mga dresser, closet, tables , etc dito. The woodwork and finish is so refined.

edtf
05-31-2008, 21:06
Diba ang Narra is Rosewood in its english name? Nakita ko ang dameng antique furnitures (late 1800s) esp imported from France and Europe , mga dresser, closet, tables , etc dito. The woodwork and finish is so refined.

saan yan?? Naku - dapat hindi makita ng asawa ko yan :)

edtf
05-31-2008, 21:07
Yes, he told me about kamagong wood, but I did not have enough time to look around for it. I told him to save some for me, so when I come to visit again, I'll bring back some. He has a kalabaw woodwork made of kamagong. Its really pretty.
He also had anahaw, but it was so heavy (whole block), so I left it.

I think the kamagong with carabao bone inlay would be one of a kind nga :)
Anahaw wood - very interesting!!

gen1
05-31-2008, 21:18
tugas is also a very good hardword. parang bakal.

There is a reforestation area in UPLB with lots of narra trees planted in the 50's. I remember joking that they are now harvestable and a single tree could be worth half a million each. (P200-300 na yata ang Board Foot ng narra ngayon).

chowchow
06-01-2008, 07:58
I heard of Tugas too.Very dense ang grain. Hahabul ang gabas .

Island of Siquijor is full of Molave Tree.

http://www.thenorwegiandream.com/page2.html

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/Vanishing_Treasures/Origins_5.htm

bisoy
06-01-2008, 17:24
tugas ang mga trees kung saan nakakabit ang mga hanging bridge ng canoopy walk dito sa cdo. the circumference of these trees are about 2 arms length ng adults. matigas sya pero the tree sways naman. at more than 100ft high, the trees would sway a couple of inches.