**Really important reminder to all women** [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : **Really important reminder to all women**

Mrs. VR
06-01-2008, 08:25
No matter your age, no matter your overall health, please, DO NOT EVER skip your annual gyn exams. I ask this from the bottom of my heart, and I'm stickying this so it'll be right there any time anyone opens this forum. I know it's not gun/shooting related, but hey, you can't shoot if you're not alive, right?

MrsKitty
06-01-2008, 10:17
I'm with Sharon on this. Our family is at a greater risk than most so it is something we all make damn sure to stay on top of.

Swattie's Wife
06-03-2008, 21:05
Thanks Sharon for the reminder. I haven't been in for over 8 years. I have only one ovary and tube left but the doctor keeps telling me I still need to be checked. And I'm late on getting my mammogram done.

MB-G26
08-23-2008, 03:13
Gak. Hard to believe it's time for me to book an appt. w/Planned Parenthood for another damn female exam............blech. I never did get that mammo gram. (I'm thinking I should just teach MyJay to detect lumps) :whistling:

Mrs. VR
08-23-2008, 16:07
I'm going for my annual on the 5th. I had an abnormal mammo a year ago, and had to follow up with a breast MRI about a month ago. There have been some changes, so I go back in another six months to do it again. In case you're wondering, they put you on the MRI bed, but on top of this sort of curved rack, with holes for your breasts. Then they push paddles up against the sides, but other than being a slightly uncomfortable way to lay down for a half hour or so, there is no pain. Mine was done with and without contrast, so there was a needle stick involved, but no biggie. I also had a pelvic one done, since my mom has ovarian cancer, I think they're going to repeat periodically.

FTR- Christina Applegate's cancer was detected by a breast MRI.

kcb
10-07-2008, 15:53
I'm going for my annual on the 5th. I had an abnormal mammo a year ago, and had to follow up with a breast MRI about a month ago. There have been some changes, so I go back in another six months to do it again. In case you're wondering, they put you on the MRI bed, but on top of this sort of curved rack, with holes for your breasts. Then they push paddles up against the sides, but other than being a slightly uncomfortable way to lay down for a half hour or so, there is no pain. Mine was done with and without contrast, so there was a needle stick involved, but no biggie. I also had a pelvic one done, since my mom has ovarian cancer, I think they're going to repeat periodically.

FTR- Christina Applegate's cancer was detected by a breast MRI.

It's true. I also had an abnormal. I've had abnormals off and on for several years now. I have had to have repeat mammo's in six months.

But a couple of years ago, I had to go for an ultra-sound which then led to a biopsy. I had to go to the Radiologist first for injection of dye and a wire guide before going to the OR. It wasn't all fun, but I was lucky and the lump was benign.

It's time for another Mammo...I already have the doctor's order.

I've been SO busy, it's easy to put it off. BUT there are so many stories...I will call tomorrow and schedule mine.

Now it is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I got an e-mail from my boss's secretary to wear "Pink" to work next Friday to Honor this month.

Don't forget Ladies. Do it for everyone that loves you...but mostly...do it for yourself.

We lost my mother-in-law to Breast Cancer.

:hugs:

true believer
12-11-2008, 13:45
the life you save could be your own...i know that for a fact...
:wavey:

MB-G26
12-11-2008, 22:14
Good reminder.

I NEED to be nagged about getting this done.

Was all in line for it last year (for the first time in over a decade).... but real life and co-pays and parent caregiving and whatever else go in the way and I never did get it done.

Plegh.

Time does fargin fly........

GirlyGlock
03-02-2009, 14:10
No matter your age, no matter your overall health, please, DO NOT EVER skip your annual gyn exams. I ask this from the bottom of my heart, and I'm stickying this so it'll be right there any time anyone opens this forum. I know it's not gun/shooting related, but hey, you can't shoot if you're not alive, right?

Great reniminder Mrs. VR. Even if you are not on an annual schedule yet, schedule it and get it done.

G26packer
03-10-2009, 00:06
Great reminder, I got my little postcard in the mail a few months ago and I think we can all think of at least one excuse why we haven't kept up, but with that reminder being posted on a site that we talk about protecting ourselves and our families and what we believe in, I kind of feel a little bit of a hipocrite not taking the steps that I need to take to make sure that I am around to protect my family, gives you a little different perspective when someone will go completely off topic to remind you about something so important. Means a lot more when it is not coming from your gyn or a womens health website.
Thanks again, and good job in advance for all the ladies who I know have been compelled by the importance of the reminder and scheduled and PLAN TO GO to their annuals.:wavey:

Cat91
03-10-2009, 17:24
Yes...I have mammograms every other year. And this is the year. Darnit. Those hurt!

Miao, Cat

Lone_Wolfe
04-29-2009, 15:30
We lost my mother-in-law to Breast Cancer.

Karen, I'm so sorry. :hugs:

Mrs Glockrunner
05-20-2009, 19:21
At my annual visit to the GYN back in January, she noticed my thyroid was enlarged. She impressed upon me to have my regular doctor check it out.

Long story short, I had a nodule over 5 cm growing on the right side of my thyroid. Had to have that half of my thyroid removed. Tests showed the growth was non-cancerous, thankfully.

I did write a nice long thank you letter to my GYN doctor for her attentiveness. I would have never known something was wrong until the growth had gotten so large as to be seen.

kentuckysptpr
06-21-2009, 22:09
The joys of being a woman!!:shower::cop:

Gray_Rider
07-02-2009, 00:17
Lost the love of my life to breast cancer 09/21/04. We were married just 18 months.

It killed her mother, and led to the suicide of her grandmother back in the 30's when all they could do was send you home to die crying and screaming from the agony.

Kinda makes me lose faith in the existance of a so called "caring God".

"I would laugh if my heart were not so heavy..."
Topol, as "The Dove" in "For Your Eyes Only"

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!

ATL Peach Girl
07-04-2009, 18:33
+1 on the importance of this thread.

I have been going in for mammo's since I was 37 years old. Had a few abnormal ones that resulted in sonograms being performed on said breast.

Now days my hospital does this really cool DIGITAL mammo.......and they can pick up the smallest changes and the smallest abnormalities stick out like a sore thumb on them. There is also NO re-takes on the films as they get it right the first time or they re-do it right away because the image is right there on the screen for the tech to print out. AMAZING STUFF.

I am all for the gyn exams too. I had normal exams for years, until back in 2002 when I had a period that lasted 25 damned days!!! I went to my doc and he sent me to have an ultrasound. Turns out I had a bunch of (non cancerous) fibroids and I had the total hyst that next month!! I wished like hell there was a way they could detect these things........but they can't. I apparently had those fibroids for years.....and years and was in pain for years and years, thinking it was just a side affect of the BC pill, and I was "sterile" because of these fibroids. They affected the uterus and the ovaries. it was a sad time in my life, the "option" to have kids was gone. :sad:

1str8shooter
07-04-2009, 19:53
where am i and how did i get here:dunno:

jomocon
10-29-2009, 08:34
I always link annual things to September - a long time leftover of getting prepared for the new school year. September automatically makes me think of things I only do once a year. On top of that list is the annual OB visit for a pap smear & mammogram. I never miss these.

GirlyGlock
10-31-2009, 08:31
Since my reply to this post a couple of months ago.....I found a lump in my breast (my mammogram was negative). I had the lump removed and everything was fine! In addition to our annual GYN exam and mammograms don't forget doing a monthly self breast exam. Better safe than sorry.

Lone_Wolfe
10-31-2009, 10:45
GirlyGlock, I'm glad the results were good. Keep taking care of yourself. :wavey:

kcb
01-18-2010, 19:47
I have two studies schedule in a few weeks; a six month check up on a couple of places that showed up a year ago. One I found, one the mammogram found.

I've had one lump removed several years ago. God has been good to me, and everything has been benign and/or nothing so far.

I have a diagnostic mammo and an ultrasound in February. I should be use to these "closer looks" by now....but it still is leaves me a bit concerned until I get the results every time.

I am an optimistic person, so I always expcect good news!

Breast Cancer runs in my dad's family...and I'm happy to say, no one lost their life to it.

But as I said in an earlier post, my husband lost his mother to it, and I have lost several good friends to Breast Cancer.

Cancer is a wicked disease.

Stay on top of it, Ladies! Take care of yourselves!

Mrs. VR
01-19-2010, 09:30
I had another mammo a few months ago, and this time I wore taller shoes, and it was sooooo much more comfortable. I guess I didn't have to hang there by my boobs. :supergrin:

kcb
01-19-2010, 15:30
I had another mammo a few months ago, and this time I wore taller shoes, and it was sooooo much more comfortable. I guess I didn't have to hang there by my boobs. :supergrin:

:rofl: I have started doing that as well! :highfive:

kcb
01-19-2010, 15:31
Karen, I'm so sorry. :hugs:

:hugs: Thanks!

Shoeless
11-09-2010, 16:58
Gray Rider and those who have lost loved ones to cancer I am so sorry. I lost my mom to cancer (not breast, but lung) in 2004 and it is a dread disease.

I just scheduled my annual mammogram and PAP today! I'm going next week. I do get them done every year and now that I know the "wear taller shoes" trick, I'm doing it! My radiology place also does the *digital* mammograms like Peachy said, which I feel better about because apparently they are really detailed.

And for the first time ever in my life, my insurance will cover it 100%. Kewlio.

Shoeless

WarCry
01-14-2011, 08:06
I'm not a woman, but I want to add to this discussion a little. Women, no matter your age, make sure you're checking yourself. If you think "it can't happen to me", you're dead wrong.

My little sister found a lump that she thought was a cyst. Turns out it was a mass of cancer 8-10cm. This was about a week before her 33rd birthday.

Docs may not want to do mammograms regularly that young. Who cares. You know your body best. If something doesn't feel right, get it checked. NOW.

frizz
07-22-2012, 15:56
I do not have "lady parts" but I do have excess breast tissue. Not enough to be "moobs" but even in high school when I wasn't porky, I got ripped on in the locker room for my "t*ts".

The tissue is irregular, and has lump-like structures. It wasn't any fun being the only dude having his boob squished, but I do understand why women HATE mammograms!

And don't forget the mammarys and daddarys . For both men and women, get your fanny-pipe checked as often as insurance will pay for it. My wife had a smidgen of bleeding, which she attributed to her blood thinner.

Her doc insisted on a colonoscopy; he really pushed her hard. The scope revealed a tiny tumor that hadn't had time to spread.