This has me befuddled... IP Address 169 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : This has me befuddled... IP Address 169

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2008, 08:53
OK, scenario.

I built a lady a computer about 3-4mo ago, and other than some hiccups w/ getting her DSL service, it has been fine for at least a 3mo. We have this huge storm on Friday, and all of a sudden she can no longer get online. She calls ATT tech support, they do some hoop jumping with her, say their side is fine, and check her IP address, which is coming up as 169.xx. The guy tries to fix it, and can't, so he ends up giving her a number to call, which has chargeable tech support and says they will know how to fix the problem..

She asks me if I know the problem, so I go look at it, and couldn't renew the IP address to the normal one(192.xx). Come home, do some Googling, and everything I find, seems to suggest this is a firewall/router issue. She has no router/hardware firewall, so I removed her software firewall, and made sure the Windows firewall was disabled, and still no joy. I noticed on the bottom of the modem, it has a login address (http://192.xx).. I try to log in to it, and can't. I get a page load error like I entered a URL that does not exist. The Device manager reports the Ethernet adapter is working fine

The modem has 5 Lights.. Power, Ethernet, DSL, Internet, Activity. Power, Ethernet, and DSL, are all green. When I power on or reset the modem, Internet comes on as Red, stays on for about 1min, and goes out and stays out. Activity shows nothing. I think, the Power, Ethernet, and DSL lights, are simply showing that something is plugged in those ports. Internet, I assume to mean its connection from the outside. This makes me believe this is something outside.

Any ideas, other than letting her get molested by the minute w/ tech support?

Sgt. Schultz
06-02-2008, 10:21
huge storm on Friday, and all of a sudden she can no longer get online.
Itís possible that the storm took out her NIC, Cat5 cable and the modem via her telephone line. The first thing Iíd do is to verify that the DSL works ... use a laptop and see if you can connect to the net. If you can then start with the cable then the NIC.

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2008, 10:29
Itís possible that the storm took out her NIC, Cat5 cable and the modem via her telephone line. The first thing Iíd do is to verify that the DSL works ... use a laptop and see if you can connect to the net. If you can then start with the cable then the NIC.

Actually, sorry I failed to mention that. The phone line, and the Ethernet cable being the issue, has been ruled out. I used spare stuff I had here and swapped them out when I went over there, and she was still getting no connection. I don't *think* its the modem, because her hookup was quite a screw up on ATT's part, and they ended up sending her 3 modems(if it wasn't a long, ridiculous story of ATT"s complete incompetence, I'd go into it). She still has the other two modems, as they've not sent an RMA for UPS to pick them up yet. She tried one of the other modems w/ the ATT tech support, and according to him, ruled out the modem.

I might take my laptop over there and see if I can get on w/ it.

Sgt. Schultz
06-02-2008, 10:37
Odds are it's the NIC, I had the same happen to a customer several weeks ago. A storm took out everything connected to their telephone line.

dgg9
06-02-2008, 10:47
She calls ATT tech support, they do some hoop jumping with her, say their side is fine, and check her IP address, which is coming up as 169.xx.

That's likely an default IP address (non-routable) that is installed until the the network is successfully attached.

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2008, 10:58
Odds are it's the NIC, I had the same happen to a customer several weeks ago. A storm took out everything connected to their telephone line.

Any reason why device manager would say the NIC is working properly?

I'm gonna take my laptop over there and see if I can get online over there.

IGF

srhoades
06-02-2008, 11:13
More than likely the storm wiped out her settings. Make sure and give your self a static address in the 192.xx subnet with the address of the modem as your gateway, leave the DNS blank. Then try to login into the modem.

Tennessee Slim
06-02-2008, 11:16
Excuse me if I'm talking beneath you but 169.254.xxx.xxx is Microsloth's Automatic Private IP Addressing scheme (APIPA). It indicates the NIC is configured to use DHCP but can't find the DHCP server.

I think the key is the vanishing Internet indicator light on the modem. The NIC is drawing an (APIPA) IP address; if Device Manager says it's okay and you can ping localhost, and there's nothing odd mis-set in the NIC's properties (like netmask), I'd give the modem a long,hard look.

It could be the storm zapped the user's logon credentials stored in the modem. It should have a web interface with a diagnostics page. If you can find the device's default IP address, you should be able to view the web interface and see if the logon credentials are still stored.

Sgt. Schultz
06-02-2008, 11:54
I think the key is the vanishing Internet indicator light on the modem. The NIC is drawing an (APIPA) IP address; if Device Manager says it's okay and you can ping localhost, and there's nothing odd mis-set in the NIC's properties (like netmask), I'd give the modem a long,hard look.

Sorry but that's not always true, I have seen bad NIC's that show no issues in the device manager, and everything appears be working correctly still be unable to connect to any outside device. The APIPA simply allocates a default IP addresses in the private range whenever a DHCP server fails to provide one.

IndyGunFreak
06-02-2008, 13:16
Weird situation... thats now resolved thank goodness(I'm posting from her house while doing some updates, etc.)

I took Sgt. Shultz's advice, and brought my laptop over here and plugged it in to her Modem, and was immediately able to get online. So the problem was obviously within her computer somewhere. Only thing I could figure, was the NIC. So I updated driver, etc, no joy. Finally got frustrated, as nothing else made sense, went to Best Buy and bought a NIC. Installed, and was online in 2min.

Now the question is, how the hell did a storm manage to blow out an ethernet device(if thats what caused it), but not take out the modem?

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, I was going nanners on this one.. :)

IGF.. ::time to restart, ugh I hate Windows::

Sgt. Schultz
06-02-2008, 14:37
Things that make you go hmm Ö

I canít explain it but Iíve seen it before. I had a customer that had the same thing happen; it not only took out her NIC but the USB ports as well. Everything else on the computer worked fine so I installed a couple of PCI cards and a month later itís still working.

Tennessee Slim
06-02-2008, 16:49
Sorry but that's not always true, ...
I admit I don't alway think. Sometimes it puts me to sleep.

FL2011
06-02-2008, 19:23
Glad you got it figured out. From my time servicing/troubleshooting audio/video systems and computers...... lightning can do WEIRD things at times.