WWII Captain's Logs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WWII Captain's Logs

SkiCop
06-03-2008, 00:56
What happens to the Captain's logs? My grandfather was an XO on the USS Lardner in WWII and I always wondered what happened to the logs on those ships. Are they hiding somewhere in the Library of Congress? Or did they get pitched at the end of the war? Just curious.

Nakkie
06-04-2008, 08:02
This link should answer all your questions about Deck Logs. (http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq73-1.htm#anchor183771) :)

The USS Lardner was a highly decorated ship and there should be a lot of historical material written on it available from other sources as well, including the Internet.

SkiCop
06-09-2008, 15:43
Thank you! I will check it out.

standerson
06-20-2008, 00:49
When I was on the USS IOWA I read some of the early years Deck Logs. Spellbinding.

Navy87Guy
07-01-2008, 20:35
When I was in command, I contacted the Naval Historical Center and got copies of the ship's logs from USS PARCHE and USS TROUT, which had been VADM Ramage's subs in WW II. I used to run excerpts from the logs in the POD on corresponding days (on July 1, 2008 we ran entries from July 1, 1943). It was pretty cool.

What was most amazing was reading the logs from the battle that earned him his Medal of Honor. They sound so "matter of fact" - like any other day at sea. Pretty inspiring!

Jim