GM Takes Another Hit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GM Takes Another Hit

isuzu
06-03-2008, 20:18
General Motors announced today that it will be closing several plants in the US and Canada, including the Janesville, WI plant, one of GM's oldest. This came as a surprise to its employees.

The plant closures have been the product of very poor SUV and pick up sales. GM is also seriously thinking of phasing out its Hummer line as automakers are making the switch to manufacturing fuel-efficient cars.

Parts suppliers will also be affected by the plant closures.

bulm540
06-03-2008, 20:30
poor insight on their part.

TaurusPT945
06-04-2008, 07:18
Outsource kasi ng General Motors yung mga planta nila para maka-tipid.

Hindi nakaka-gulat kung sumunod ang Ford at Chrysler.

Subukan niyong tumawag sa toll free customer assistance center number ng GM United States, may mga accent yung mga sasagot sa inyo. Ewan ko lang sa GM of Canada. May contact center kasi yung GM of Canada. Iba kasi yung GM Canada sa GM US.

bulm540
06-04-2008, 17:19
outsourcing has been done for a number of years. The plants that they are goign to close are the once making the gas guzzling SUVs and hummers. There are talks of dropping the hummer.

atmarcella
06-05-2008, 09:14
yup. i saw in the news that lots of people over there want to get rid of their SUV's.

isuzu
06-05-2008, 20:41
Continental Airlines, the latest victim to the high fuel prices is cutting thousands of jobs and mothballing dozens of airplanes. This comes after United and American Airlines cut jobs, routes, and mothballed some of their airplanes.

A $5.00 jump in the price of oil in a single day, and a fuel storage fire in the US is just too obvious that the price of the commodity is being manipulated.

Allegra
06-06-2008, 08:40
outsourcing has been done for a number of years. The plants that they are goign to close are the once making the gas guzzling SUVs and hummers. There are talks of dropping the hummer.

Consensus among my friends , getting a gas guzzling SUV is cheaper overall than a diesel like the isuzu crosswind

Maisip mo pa lang na v8 yung sasakyan mo , ayaw mo na umalis ng bahay
basta may coffeemaker at may beer sa ref , di na kailangan umalis

Pero pag diesel , gusto mo pasyal ng pasyal north , south etc

isuzu
06-07-2008, 00:24
Maisip mo pa lang na v8 yung sasakyan mo , ayaw mo na umalis ng bahay
basta may coffeemaker at may beer sa ref , di na kailangan umalis

Pero pag diesel , gusto mo pasyal ng pasyal north , south etc

That makes you a hostage of your gas guzzling vehicle. :supergrin:

Seriously, an almost $11.00 increase in the price of oil in two days is just ridiculous. I went to the supermarket where we usually shop tonight to fill up, but their gas station is closed. A notice said that they were having "technical difficulties."

I went to the Calgary Co-op and their gas station was open. I shopped there because I still got a rebate for my gas which is deducted from the amount of the groceries.

The price of gas is going up again, bigtime.

Allegra
06-07-2008, 07:08
That makes you a hostage of your gas guzzling vehicle. :supergrin:

Seriously, an almost $11.00 increase in the price of oil in two days is just ridiculous. I went to the supermarket where we usually shop tonight to fill up, but their gas station is closed. A notice said that they were having "technical difficulties."

I went to the Calgary Co-op and their gas station was open. I shopped there because I still got a rebate for my gas which is deducted from the amount of the groceries.

The price of gas is going up again, bigtime.

Made me realize , I go out too much :)

Javelin
06-07-2008, 07:23
The US Auto industry is a huge portion of our economy. Tires, electronics, manufacturing, steel, and frieght all employ hundreds of thousands of US citizens that do not even work for GM. Ford shut down production for the rest of the year which means many of their stamping factories will sit idle for months.

And now with the Airline industry being cut will mean less orders for new fleet if it persists. Its not isolated with one or two industries let alone a business or two.

It is a really bad situation no matter how you dress it up.

isuzu
07-01-2008, 20:27
Just watching the news this evening and more bad news for the US automaker industry(and including Toyota):

GM - sales down 18.2%
Ford - down by 28%
Toyota - down 21.4%
Chrysler - down by almost 50%

Ford also reported a slump of 40% in their F-series trucks. A parts supplier for GM, Polywheels might close because of the GM manufacturing slowdown.

As a comparison, US car owners pay $0.50 tax per gallon of gas while Canadians pay $1.26 tax per gallon of gas (or $0.33/liter).

Starbucks is closing 600 stores, some of which were just recently opened. This is also due to slumping sales.

atmarcella
07-01-2008, 23:10
its a global thing and we could all blame the chinese. the only people smiling these days are the arab oil companies. hope the money doesnt go to terrorist!

horge
07-01-2008, 23:40
the only people smiling these days are the arab oil companies.

You deffo have to include the oil futures traders.
This is their own little vaudeville, afer all.

isuzu
07-03-2008, 20:03
the only people smiling these days are the arab oil companies.

The Arabs are even meeting to address the sharp increase of oil in the world market. They don't want oil prices to rise further since it could also backfire on them. They want a more realistic and affordable price for oil.

It's the greedy speculators and the traders who are to blame. And let's take note. After the oil crisis in the 70's, the price of oil went down as low as $18.00/bbl. We may not be able to get a taste of this price again, but the same scenario could happen.

bulm540
07-03-2008, 20:20
A lot of money that are buying the commodities ( oil primarily) are from pension funds. From Squawk box the other day, tehy deny that it is the speculators but the demand ( I don;t know who to believe anymore).

edtf
07-04-2008, 01:35
I just can't wait for alternative energy sources go online - we should really lessen our dependence on fossil fuel :(

atmarcella
07-05-2008, 02:29
kung meron lang LPG refilling station dito where i live nagpa convert nako.