NV CCW no longer qualifies as NICS exemption [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NV CCW no longer qualifies as NICS exemption

jpa
06-04-2008, 11:33
Bend over, here it comes! I found a letter to NV FFL's on a coworker's desk. Apparently there was a temporary memorandum of understanding that the ATF was going to allow the CCW to pass for the checks until the 07 legislature had an opportunity to pass the laws to address their concerns. It appears that those concerns were never addressed so effective July 1, 2008 all FFL firearm sales will require a background check and the associated $25 fee to DPS. As far as I can tell as well, it subjects you to the same provisions of the "proceed, delay or deny" process regardless if you have a ccw or not. Of course the letter isn't specific enough to actually write your legislators to get the problem fixed in 09.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/053008_nevadaffl-openletter.pdf

crazypilot
06-04-2008, 12:37
That sucks :upeyes:.

deadday
06-04-2008, 14:18
Is this limited to NV or nationwide? I guess I didn't read slow enough....I know as of this weekend, CHL still cut out the NICS..

drew

Carver
06-04-2008, 21:58
I took my CCW class today, and its confirmed, July 1 2008 your FFL will no longer be acceptable for background check.

jpa
06-04-2008, 23:11
Is this limited to NV or nationwide? I guess I didn't read slow enough....I know as of this weekend, CHL still cut out the NICS..

drew

Limited to NV for now...apparently there are problems with the background checks or requirements to issue a CCW that don't meet the federal requirements for a background check to bypass the NICS check. The ATF gave DPS a temporary "stay" after the Sheriff's agreed to change their issue requirements last time this came around. The 07 legislature was supposed to fix the problems permanently. They neglected to do so while in session so now we get to pay for it until the 09 session. I'm adding this to my to-do list for my congresscritters that will be getting emailed in January of next year.

deadday
06-05-2008, 08:11
Limited to NV for now...apparently there are problems with the background checks or requirements to issue a CCW that don't meet the federal requirements for a background check to bypass the NICS check. The ATF gave DPS a temporary "stay" after the Sheriff's agreed to change their issue requirements last time this came around. The 07 legislature was supposed to fix the problems permanently. They neglected to do so while in session so now we get to pay for it until the 09 session. I'm adding this to my to-do list for my congresscritters that will be getting emailed in January of next year.

Wow, that sucks...Best of luck to you guys! If you want, shoot me your local Reps name and I'll shoot them an email as well....

dtrew

jpa
06-05-2008, 12:59
I think the deficiencies are going to need to be corrected at the state level, but they don't go into session until next spring.

As far as federal goes, we've got Hapless Harry Reid and John Ensign in the senate, not sure who all our reps are though...I know mine is Shelley Berkley (ugh).