SC: Knife Regulations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SC: Knife Regulations

Thx-1138
06-04-2008, 14:37
I'm traveling through SC (have a NC carry permit, with reciprocity to SC), and wanted to know more about legally carrying a knife in SC.

I've currently got a 3.5" blade (NC isn't restricted by blade length). What are the rules in SC?

Anybody know of an inexpensive knife with a serrated edge that is SC-legal?

k3sls
06-04-2008, 21:46
I'm traveling through SC (have a NC carry permit, with reciprocity to SC), and wanted to know more about legally carrying a knife in SC.

I've currently got a 3.5" blade (NC isn't restricted by blade length). What are the rules in SC?

Anybody know of an inexpensive knife with a serrated edge that is SC-legal?

Any knife with a blade over 2" is not legal for carry in SC, permit or not. There is a bill proposing the removal of the length restriction, but it has not yet passed both state houses.

Thx-1138
06-05-2008, 19:06
Any knife with a blade over 2" is not legal for carry in SC, permit or not. There is a bill proposing the removal of the length restriction, but it has not yet passed both state houses.

OK, so 2" blade. Considering something so small, I guess I really want serrations and maybe a hooked blade for increased cutting ability.

k3sls
06-05-2008, 20:01
OK, so 2" blade. Considering something so small, I guess I really want serrations and maybe a hooked blade for increased cutting ability.

Looks like the bill I mentioned is about to clear both houses. Assuming that happens soon, you're problem will be solved.

Until then, a 2" blade for each hand and knowing where the carotid artery is located should suffice!:cool:

Thx-1138
06-05-2008, 22:20
Looks like the bill I mentioned is about to clear both houses. Assuming that happens soon, you're problem will be solved.

Until then, a 2" blade for each hand and knowing where the carotid artery is located should suffice!:cool:

I'm not really looking for a fighting knife. I have a CHP, will be carrying my G39 with me the whole trip, and I'm not really trained to fight with knives anyway. I do, however, find uses for a pocket knife just about every day of my life, and can't imagine not having one while driving through my old home state.

k3sls
06-05-2008, 22:39
I'm not really looking for a fighting knife. I have a CHP, will be carrying my G39 with me the whole trip, and I'm not really trained to fight with knives anyway. I do, however, find uses for a pocket knife just about every day of my life, and can't imagine not having one while driving through my old home state.

It should also be noted the 2" limitation is a bit ridiculous considering most Leatherman, Gerber and other multi-tools have blades well over 2". There's a whole bunch of people walking around SC with those on their belts everyday, including me...and I've never heard of anyone getting arrested just for carrying one. I would guess the over 2" infraction was only used when they wanted to pile on some charges or they just couldn't find anything else to hit you with. Maybe that's why it's about to go away!

k3sls
06-12-2008, 14:39
It should also be noted the 2" limitation is a bit ridiculous considering most Leatherman, Gerber and other multi-tools have blades well over 2". There's a whole bunch of people walking around SC with those on their belts everyday, including me...and I've never heard of anyone getting arrested just for carrying one. I would guess the over 2" infraction was only used when they wanted to pile on some charges or they just couldn't find anything else to hit you with. Maybe that's why it's about to go away!

Well...the Governor vetoed the bill. Looks like the 2" limitation remains for now.

http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess117_2007-2008/bills/968.htm

k3sls
06-25-2008, 15:53
The SC House and Senate have overridden Sanford's veto of the bill relaxing the 2" limit.

See http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess117_2007-2008/bills/968.htm

mtpisgah
07-12-2008, 18:15
Are automatic knives like a Benchmade legal?