Bagpipes! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bagpipes!

BlitzAttack
06-04-2008, 21:57
I just ordered me some bagpipes.I would like to one day be apart of a pipes and drums band.Anybody else on here play?
:ffighter::kilt:

Da-Squad
06-05-2008, 11:04
I do not play but sure like to listen to them!! Congratulations on your purchase.

FiremanBrad
06-06-2008, 17:43
I do not play but sure like to listen to them!! Congratulations on your purchase.

Ditto!!! Best way ever to hear "Amazing Grace"!!!

Sgt. Rambo
06-07-2008, 10:46
I just ordered me some bagpipes.I would like to one day be apart of a pipes and drums band.Anybody else on here play?
:ffighter::kilt:

Hey Blitz... not to crush your dreams or anything, have you done any research on playing the bag pipes? They are a GREAT instrument but unlike anything else in the musical realm. Its about a 7 year process to get where you want to be. I started out with just a "Chanter" and couldn't make any progress on it. It only cost me $100 but it was a good choice as i made a lousy bagpiper...lol I do have the legs for the kilt though. I went back to the trombone...LOL Let me know if you have any questions. By the way, what kind of pipes did you order?

BlitzAttack
06-07-2008, 12:24
Yea i "think" i know what im in for. Im pretty inclined when it comes to stuff like this , i have self taught myself several instruments. I have a practice chanter on it's way too.Luckily i know someone who plays and can recieve some lessons.The way I look at it is that I have the rest of my career to "master" them. The pipe brand is Dunbar.:wavey:

Sgt. Rambo
06-07-2008, 13:16
Yea i "think" i know what im in for. Im pretty inclined when it comes to stuff like this , i have self taught myself several instruments. I have a practice chanter on it's way too.Luckily i know someone who plays and can recieve some lessons.The way I look at it is that I have the rest of my career to "master" them. The pipe brand is Dunbar.:wavey:

All the best and Keep us posted with your progress!!! What else do you play?

BlitzAttack
06-07-2008, 14:40
All the best and Keep us posted with your progress!!! What else do you play?

I just play stringed instruments,this will be my first air type instrument.I may be getting in over my head, but really want to carry on the bagpipe and dress tradition.I havent recieved my practice chanter yet so for ****s and giggles i broke out the bag and all i can say is:faint:. Of course it does'nt help that i already broke my flap valve:steamed:. I have alot of practicing to do!

Sgt. Rambo
06-07-2008, 15:07
Touchy things they are. My sincere recommendation is two fold, find a video on playing to start with, general breathing techniques etc....THEN and its a priority, FIND A MENTOR...someone who is established and can help you learn the tricks of the trade. Its all breathing, breath control and lung capacity with the pipes. Again, all the best and keep us posted...it is an expensive hobby huh?? I'm sticking with guns and model trains....LOL

BlitzAttack
06-07-2008, 18:33
Touchy things they are. My sincere recommendation is two fold, find a video on playing to start with, general breathing techniques etc....THEN and its a priority, FIND A MENTOR...someone who is established and can help you learn the tricks of the trade. Its all breathing, breath control and lung capacity with the pipes. Again, all the best and keep us posted...it is an expensive hobby huh?? I'm sticking with guns and model trains....LOL

haha thanks man

Tvov
06-09-2008, 10:43
We just went camping this past weekend with a large group of RNs, EMTs, Paramedics, FFs, and some other assorted emergency-type people. On Saturday night, one of the EMTs broke out bagpipes. He is pretty good, and played about 3 songs. The entire campground applauded him when he finished.

It is amazing how far the sound of bagpipes will carry.

Very cool instrument, have fun with it. That is a really great thing to be able to do.

Bio Glock
06-11-2008, 19:02
Congratulations in being able to play!

There are several bands in Texas, easy to search and if you are willing to invest the time to learn, most bands will invest in you to teach.

No way I could play the Pipes, but could muster the Heart of the Band - The Base Drum. had to give it up due to work.

I keep a bagpipe CD in my vehicle at all times - living in the ATL - it is a great joy to sit at an intersection here the loud thump thump of some hip hop, yo yo wanta be gansta! I roll down the appropriate blacked out windows of my ML 320 and blast out a little Acid Piper March, or a 6/8 March catches there attention as well, smile, pass on the peace sign.

If they flash a gang sign, I like to answer back with E-22.

Good luck and invest in finding a band.

http://www.atlantapipeband.com/

grandall4
06-17-2008, 17:11
check out Johnny Bagpipes on YouTube or Google

FiremanBrad
06-19-2008, 19:19
check out Johnny Bagpipes on YouTube or Google

"THANK YOU FOR HELPING MY ALBUM GO DOUBLE PLAID"....Too good!!!!!!!!!
Gotta love the Pipes!!!

M36
11-14-2008, 22:44
Blitzattack, what kind of pipes did you order. I have been playing awhile. Have a set of '97 hallmarked silver Krons and a 40's set of Sinclairs.

Its an old thread but I stumbled on it.

Jim

ScottFF00
11-15-2008, 10:25
Pipes and drums are a great tradition in the fire service.