J-frame vs. Glock 26 for Pocket Carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : J-frame vs. Glock 26 for Pocket Carry

bcphoenix
06-07-2008, 10:00
I currently pocket carry a Glock 26. It works for pocket carry but just barely. I'm thinking of getting a 642 Airweight for pocket carry. Has anybody had experience carrying both in the pocket and can you let me know which you preferred? I want something lighter that doesn't print as much as my G26. Thanks.

BC

Carver
06-07-2008, 10:21
I don't think this will help much, as I am new to CCW (still waiting for my permit to hit my mailbox actually)...

but i qualified with the g26 and airweight J frame and see these two as my carry pieces..

There is no question that if I am in a 'shootout' or multiple person engagement, I would prefer the G26, hands down.

That said, my pocket carry rig is way better with the hammerless J frame imo. Less print, and lighter. Lately I have been carrying (only on my properties as the CCW is not here yet) with a J frame and Barami grips (little clip in the pants)... and the revolver simply disappears, and is way more invisible than any glock carry option I have found (however this form of carry leaves the trigger unprotected, and allows for some positional shift).

Pocket carry, I prefer the J frame of the two... but again, limited experience with it.
(my ccw trainer kept repeating the mantra 'if you carry a glock, do not leave a bullet in the chamber'... go figure).

bcphoenix
06-07-2008, 17:03
Thanks for the response Carver. I agree that the G26 has the firepower advantage and that's that's the one I'd always go to (if my little black rifle wasn't available that is). I'm actually thinking about the J-frame for those times when the Glock doesn't work from a clothing/situational standpoint and the alternative is going unarmed. Not as a replacement for the G26. Plus, I've been looking for an excust to buy another gun. If I get an alternate piece, it will be a J-frame at this point. Thanks.
BC

FireMarshal
06-08-2008, 10:23
Have both the G26 and a S&W 637. For pocket carry, I prefer the 637. It's lighter and more comfortable. I agree my G26 is just too big for my pockets. I carry the G26 in an IWB setup and it's more comfortable.

Dandapani
06-08-2008, 10:26
I pocket carry a 25 ounce, stainless steel, 5 shot, 9mm, S/W 940 snub nearly year round here in FL wearing just shorts and t-shirt. In the other pocket is another 5 round clip as backup. Makes for an almost invisible carry package. I couldn't do that with a G26. Yes, I did own one. Did.

durangojim36
06-10-2008, 07:35
I don't own a G26 but I do pocket carry a 642 every day. I'm in the medical field and it dissapears in my dress pants, especially beneath my lab coat. It is an excellent close range weapon which suits my needs. I have a G36 and G30SF which I carry in an MTAC when I'm not working, but for pocket carry the 642/j frame can't be beat.

cldbase
06-10-2008, 20:12
I own a 26 and a 642. The 26 is great, but you are right in thinking that you can't just slip it in your pocket like the airweight. The 26 has many advantages but when you pick up a lightweight snubbie you end up always having a gun with you.

bluelineman
06-10-2008, 21:53
I own a 26 and a 642. The 26 is great, but you are right in thinking that you can't just slip it in your pocket like the airweight. The 26 has many advantages but when you pick up a lightweight snubbie you end up always having a gun with you.

+1

My SW 442 goes almost everywhere with me in a Mikas pocket holster. It is so easy to carry around. My G26 is getting jealous. I told it that if it weren't so fat I'd carry it more. :supergrin:

G27Chief
06-11-2008, 10:47
I own a nice little collection of J frame smiths, and carry my 442 more than any other. It drops in my pocket daily in my newly acquired elite survival systems pocket holster. Keeping in mind I have pocket carried a J frame daily, and I mean everywhere, everyday for over 18 years. I keep myself well tuned to the little 5 banger, and trust my skills in close range combat/reload. I keep a pair of speed strips in a little key fob "wallet" in my back pocket, wrapped in a hankerchef. I look at the wear on my little 442 sometimes, the sharp edges are finish worn, the muzzel shows holster wear, but it is not a show piece. It has never been regulated to a primary duty weapon in my profession, but my ole stainless 60 has been deployed a few times from the jacket pocket of my duty coat, in defense of myself and did it's job well.

I own two styles pocket holsters for my G27, however I rarely if ever replace the 442 with the glock. The weight of the glock, coupled with mass makes it uncomfortable, and noticeable in 99% of the clothes I wear. I have carried it in my pocket when I could only carry one, and sometimes it has found it's way in the big patch pocket on the rear of bib overalls encased in a pocket holster.

The fact is when you become aware that you are going to carry a firearm, you will largely find the experience and opinions of others to be of great use to you. However you have to experiment and try different things that couple speed with comfort and concealment. The same holster that works great for you buddy at the local gun club, may feel like a bull horn prodding your neither regions. We who have taken the carrying and concealing a weapon seriously have a drawer, or in my case one of those large storage bins full of discarded holsters. The either flop when you walk, poke your in the ribs or worse, or has the speed potentional of a ribbon cane syrup in the klondike.

There is ever present argument of firepower, well if I need that much firepower then I want my suped up AR and a few 30 rounders. Fact is still and has been for those of us facing it in the real world, the pistol can prove to be an ineffective weapon to have when the bullets are flying. You must be skilled and posess the ability to come on target and place your shots. It is not a tool for supressive firepower. I see the compromise of mouse guns, and the one out in the truck leaving me with the question, tell me how it works out when you need it, if you still can.

Now for what it is worth, take that little pistol/revolver that you are comfortable with carrying and put it in some quality pocket hide and tote it with the confidence "you" have created by range practice and safety drills .

RemSp10
06-11-2008, 10:52
I currently pocket carry a Glock 26. It works for pocket carry but just barely. I'm thinking of getting a 642 Airweight for pocket carry. Has anybody had experience carrying both in the pocket and can you let me know which you preferred? I want something lighter that doesn't print as much as my G26. Thanks.

BC

I may have missed something BUT I hope you don't pocket carry that g-26 with a round in the chamber.:whistling:

jdeere_man
06-12-2008, 22:16
I may have missed something BUT I hope you don't pocket carry that g-26 with a round in the chamber.

O dear. When I pocket carry my Glock 26 it always has a round in the chamber. Of course it's in a desantis nemesis pocket holster.

I have pocket carried both, and if you're comfortable with 5 rounds of 38spl and the j-frame then it is a much easier/nicer to pocket carry than the G26. If you're pockets are plenty big the 26 works good, but smaller pockets or if you just want something lighter, the airweight j-frame is superior.

I have no reservations about carrying just the 5-shot j-frame. Though I often throw a speedloader or speedstrips in my other pocket. I originally bought the 642 airweight, then later bought a 340PD airlight because it was a heck of a deal. I don't think 357mags are necessary for defense against humans, but I carry them anyway.

Some pictures. I did these one day in a hurry for someone, so they aren't great, but I'll put them up anyway.

(click to enlarge)

Carpenter style jeans

Glock 26
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/jdeere_man/th_pocket01.jpg (http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/jdeere_man/pocket01.jpg)
Glock 26 on left, Smith 642 on right
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/jdeere_man/th_pocket05.jpg (http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/jdeere_man/pocket05.jpg)
Smith 642
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/jdeere_man/th_pocket02.jpg (http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/jdeere_man/pocket02.jpg)

Smaller pocketed jeans

Glock 26 on left (a little obvoius), Smith 642 on right
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/jdeere_man/th_pocket03.jpg (http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/jdeere_man/pocket03.jpg)
Smith 642
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/jdeere_man/th_pocket04.jpg (http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/jdeere_man/pocket04.jpg)

TecRsq
08-15-2008, 19:21
I have been carrying a GLOCK 27 for the better part of the last 12 years, it has been my every day carry or EDC firearm.

Last month I purchased a J frame variant in the S&W 360, it has become a constant carry piece, carried daily in a Kramer pocket holster.

I really like the portability and the manner in which I can make it disappear. I understand the fact that I am giving away in the area of round count but the size and weight or lack of bulk makes up for it when you choose to carry daily.

Like previously stated, the little J frames pack serious punch and they are considered always guns.

My GLOCKS still have their place as the 27 rides in the console and the 23 sits next to me wherever I may be in the residence.

But for everyday carry, while driving and on the motorcycle: that little J frame is very hard to beat.

Chup
08-15-2008, 19:45
I can carry my 26 in some rear pockets but, I carry it IWB most of the time. I carry my bobbed Mdl. 37 or 605 or Charter Undercover or SP101 in a pocket as backup. Today I worked the Gun Shop so I had the 26 IWB the 605 in a Belly Band and the Mdl. 37 in my pocket.

SO MANY GUNS SO LITTLE TIME:2gun:

fowler
08-16-2008, 20:50
Here we go again the g26 is not much of a pocket gun,but a good IWB belt gun.The only time I pocket carried my g26 or g23 was in the winter in my carhart artic pocket. 9 out of 10 times its a 642.

revel8
08-16-2008, 23:31
you cant realistically pockey carry a 26, i've tried. in a rear jeans pocket in a nemesis holster its great, but only for walking around the house or something... it could fall out fairly easily. in a front pocket, unless you leave the grip hanging out, it tends to get "lost" in there and snags horribly upon draw.

Rikki
08-17-2008, 04:12
I'd look at the 340Sc before buying anything.

SAWBONES
08-17-2008, 13:40
No Glock carries well in a pocket unless you're Captain Kangaroo. :)

Brooklyn South
08-17-2008, 15:06
I have carried both the 642 & G26 holstered in a front pocket. The G26 only works for me in cargo trousers & shorts like Royal Robbins/511s. I have split the difference in weight and now frequently use a Kahr PM9. My PM9 has been fine, however other users here and elsewhere have had some problems.

Good shooting!
:):):):)

sigpro-fessor
08-25-2009, 15:35
Those of you carrying the snubbies, are you carrying spare ammo? Just curious.

Korrupted
08-25-2009, 19:33
I recently picked up a S&W 38 and now find myself leaving the G23 at home. I absolutely love my j-frame now!

SCANNER
08-30-2009, 01:03
I recently picked up an M&P 340. I now alternate between the G26 and 340 or carry both when possible (340 pocketed, 26 ankle).

The G26 is comforting with its capacity and ease of mag exchange but it is not always possible to carry it. This is where the snub is your friend. She will slip into the tight spots the subcomp GLOCK can't.

If you like the 442 (dark version of 642) you'll love the M&P 340. Check it out at on shootersjax website http://www.shootersjax.com/. Yes, it is worth the price.

Whatever j frame you choose pick up a CT LG405 lasergrip for it. You will absolutely love it http://www.shooters-resource.com/.

Get a j frame and don't look back. As others have said, after carrying for a while you will eventually find the need for a j frame. Then you will never leave it behind.

Dogbite
09-01-2009, 16:09
I have carried a J-frame for about 4 or 5 years now. Its just flat out amazing for concealed carry. I have carried other guns, but the J-frame riding in a pocket holster is almost impossible to beat. Good punch, excellent concealability, its all J-frame.

just for fun
09-01-2009, 17:42
[QUOTE=Carver;10626206
(my ccw trainer kept repeating the mantra 'if you carry a glock, do not leave a bullet in the chamber'... go figure).[/QUOTE] That just happens to be one of the smartest instructors in the business, bar none!!!

Speedyfish
09-05-2009, 19:06
I rotate between a G27, SW M&P 340, SW 442 (no lock), and a Keltec P3AT. The snubs and Keltec get pocket carry. The Glock is a bit heavy and is relegated to whichever Maxpedition carry venue I am using for the day.

Glockanatorrrrr
09-06-2009, 08:22
I have carried a J-frame for about 4 or 5 years now. Its just flat out amazing for concealed carry. I have carried other guns, but the J-frame riding in a pocket holster is almost impossible to beat. Good punch, excellent concealability, its all J-frame.

+1 he nailed it!

Glockanatorrrrr
09-06-2009, 08:23

I carry a speed strip with 6 extra rounds.

the perfesser
09-06-2009, 21:22

I carry five extra rounds in a speed strip (3/gap/2 configuration) in one pocket (weak side), the snubbie in the front pocket strong side.

ALL GLOCK
09-09-2009, 10:42
I would personally rather carry 2 J-Frames.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/allglock/100_4047.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/allglock/100_4050.jpg

Drew78
09-15-2009, 08:33
I cant do the sub Glocks in a pocket. They are way to big for me, and when I was able to get the 26 into my front pocket, drawing was a joke!

I recenlty picked up a Ruger LCR and it is awsome! Need to get some CT grips for it and hopefully an XS Big Dot when they come out.

When I am forced to dress a particular way and can not conceal my semi auto IWB, I take my snubbie. Its better than nothing, which is what I was faced with.

YMMMV...

watsoncb
09-15-2009, 19:13
I pocket carry a 25 ounce, stainless steel, 5 shot, 9mm, S/W 940 snub nearly year round here in FL wearing just shorts and t-shirt. In the other pocket is another 5 round clip as backup. Makes for an almost invisible carry package. I couldn't do that with a G26. Yes, I did own one. Did.

Is a S&W 940 the same thing as a S&W CS9? I have never seen/heard of a S&W 940? Got a pic?

badge4436
10-04-2009, 22:12
I have the G26 and the Smith 642-1 (pre-lock) Centennial style revolver. I find the 26 prints way more in some of the pants if I wear it doing pocket carry. Love the firepower of the 26, but that 642 can go with me always. For my house gun the G19 wins the nod.

nndavec
10-04-2009, 23:18
The 940 is a discontinued 5 shot 9mm J frame revolver that uses moon clips.
It looks alot like a S&W 640 38 Special. It is a neat idea but spare ammo in the moon clips is somewhat difficult to carry. For me the clips seemed to be fragile and bent easily. My last 940-1 sold for $575.00 complete with the original box. The Glock 26 works much better for me as a pocket gun, holds twice as many rounds and easier to shoot.

Is a S&W 940 the same thing as a S&W CS9? I have never seen/heard of a S&W 940? Got a pic?

tinman2
10-05-2009, 07:25
Obviously you guys have not tried the Kahr PM9, or the Taurus PT709 9 mm single stack. I actually like the PT709 best. It is the glock that "GLOCK" should have made!

glockess56
10-05-2009, 13:37
I have the same problem with the G26 printing and I keep trying different holsters. I carry either the 638 or the Ruger LCR and sometimes, the G26. I find the "snubbys" to be lighter, more concealable and easier to carry. It's a matter of preference, though, so all of them are great as carry guns.

2glock40s
10-05-2009, 15:11
I own a 27 and a 642. Hands down for pocket carry or summer gun with just a pair of shorts with an elastic band is the 642. The 27 for me is just to chunky for pocket or inside the waist carry although my brother carries his inside the waist and doesn't have a problem with it. I like the accuracy, round count and firepower of the 27 but I like the light weight and bulletproof reliability of a revolver.

1911austin
10-06-2009, 17:59
I find the baby Glocks too large for pocket carry so the J frame would get the nod. If I acutally need the gun to defend myself, it would be Glock all the way.

WJR
10-07-2009, 06:52
I owned a G26 for a short while. I decided for me that pocket carry of my 642 or 638 was much easier. Also, I had some reliability issues with my 26, which most probably are related to me, not the gun.

So, I am sticking with my G19s and jframes.

WJR

Chup
10-07-2009, 07:31
I tried the G26 in my pocket again. It is too snug in my right hand pocket of my Carpenter Jeans but, not in the left. I bought a new 442 to carry in my off hand pocket and only carry the Glock on the waist now. My 357 Snubs fit IWB better. Normally I carry extra ammo for every gun I carry.

forresme
06-07-2010, 18:59
For me pocket carry is the most comfortable means of carrying. I have tried about every kind of IWB holster made, but it is just not comfortable for me. I carry my S&W 442 the majority of the time, and occasionally my G-26, although it is a little on the heavy side. If I ever were to be in a situation where I needed to use it the Glock is far superior to the snubbie. I shoot both quite a bit, but with the snubbie you almost have to be able to touch the guy to be accurate with it. With the G-26 that is not the case at all. I would love it if someone came out with small 9mm for pocket carry.

SAR
06-07-2010, 20:30
If it was just for carrying comfort, I'd carry my J-Frame, but having actually been in a few real life shootings, I carry a Glock 27 (minumum) at all times. I also keep a round in the chamber. I have never been in a shooting, and wished I had my J-Frame. However, I have been in a shooting, and wished I had my M-4 instead of my handgun. My J-frame is strictly a back-up gun. If I have a J-Frame, I also have something else. :whistling:

Glock 17L
06-07-2010, 23:32
I want something lighter that doesn't print as much as my G26.
BC

Looks to me like your looking for a 2" J frame Airweight!@!
Even after already having My 9mm 940 Centennial, The Airweight is the Best Concealed carry firearm I have ever seen..

J Frame Smith & Wessons
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9706/9mmairweight942.jpg
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/6526/942940.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1006/942spegelslh.jpg

coal
06-08-2010, 01:30
If it was just for carrying comfort, I'd carry my J-Frame, but having actually been in a few real life shootings, I carry a Glock 27 (minumum) at all times. I also keep a round in the chamber. I have never been in a shooting, and wished I had my J-Frame. However, I have been in a shooting, and wished I had my M-4 instead of my handgun. My J-frame is strictly a back-up gun. If I have a J-Frame, I also have something else. :whistling:

Those are my thoughts as well. The (carry) comfort of a light, 5-shot snubby is most important right up to the point you need to use it IMO, at which time I'd want something bigger with more capacity. Always tradeoffs. There is the idea of something, then the reality of it. For me, the G26 is the smallest I'll go.

SAR
06-08-2010, 02:13
Those are my thoughts as well. The (carry) comfort of a light, 5-shot snubby is most important right up to the point you need to use it IMO, at which time I'd want something bigger with more capacity. Always tradeoffs. There is the idea of something, then the reality of it. For me, the G26 is the smallest I'll go.

Yep. I'm not trying to make a fashion statement, and my weapon is not a good luck charm. The slight discomfort is a good trade-off for having something that is adequate for an actual situation. I don't carry my J-Frame for this reason as a primary means of self-defense. Tennis shoes are more comfortable than heavy mountain climbing boots, but only a fool scales Mt. Everest wearing tennis shoes. Maybe not a direct comparison, but you get the point. The right tool for the job is the best.

the perfesser
06-08-2010, 15:48
I would love it if someone came out with small 9mm for pocket carry.

Like a Kahr PM9 in a DeSantis pocket holster?

rargos
06-08-2010, 16:18
BC

Having owned and carried both, I would STRONGLY recommend you go to a range and put 25 rounds through an Airweight before you consider buying one. The feeling is best described as slamming your hand in a car door. I've been shooting most of my life and am not particularly recoil sensitive, but the 642 is the only gun I've ever sold because I just couldn't deal with the recoil.

The difference between the G26 and 642 is "twice the recoil, half the rounds"

Why not look at a Kahr MK9 or even an LCP (if you're willing to go down to .380)? The MK9 is a VERY nice gun and carries decently in the pocket. The PM9 is lighter (the MK9 weighs as much as a G26) but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Seriously : be sure you shoot 25-50 rounds through a 642. One good exercise : fire a couple of those cylinders as fast as you can and watch where your shots land. There are people who can shoot them quickly and accurately, but I wince in sympathy every time I see someone rent one of those at the range ...

rargos
06-08-2010, 16:20

Well, that's one way of getting the 10 rounds you have in a G26 ....

stopatrain
06-08-2010, 16:30
S&W 642 for pocket carry.

Drew78
06-12-2010, 07:44
Lately I have been pocket carrying my LCR all day everyday. When I leave the house I strap up my Glock 26 and spare 15 rd mag IN ADDITION to the snub.

Snubs can have a significant advantage over their weight. Being able to have a full grip on it in your pocket w/o anyone knowing can buy you time in a situation to get rounds off fast and transition to your primary pistol, my primary being the 26. Snubs have their place for sure. I don't like having them as a primary, but I will if I have no other choice.

-Drew

22dHead12dChest
06-12-2010, 08:13
J-Frame Hammerless.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/SmithWessonModel40-09-1065.jpg

G27Chief
06-13-2010, 03:38
J-Frame Hammerless.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/SmithWessonModel40-09-1065.jpg

Beautiful!

Glock 17L
06-13-2010, 05:40
I too will have to say that the 40-1 Nickeled Centennials are very nice & they also don't have the internal lock due to the grip safety..
Those stag grips & a bianchi speed strip makes the package look vintage even though it's NEW!! = Sweet!!

Gray_Rider
09-09-2010, 19:18
I too have a 642 and a Glock 26. I simply can't carry the 26 in anything but a belt holster. I keep coming back to pocket carry for the 642, backed up by a Kel Tec P32 in my weak hand pocket. My 26 (or Glock 30) hide nicely in a Fobus OWB under a X large unbuttoned floppy shirt worn over a tucked in T shirt for the "cooler" months here in N. Fla. The 642/442 is just hard to beat, and yes I try to carry a speed strip.

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!

Get the facts!
KnowSouthernHistory.net

G19aps
09-10-2010, 09:44
I can pocket carry my G26 but only in certain pockets and never in jeans and the draw method is more complicated than a Centennial J frame. Also my body is shaped that I have to tighten my belt to almost lethal status to keep my pants from falling down.
The 340M&PCT will fit in most pockets and doesn't pull the pants down. Yeah, I'd rather carry the G26 but there's always a compromise.
The J frame is small and light enough to carry all the time. But if you ever need it, at that instant, it's probably the last gun in your gun cabinet that you would have chosen.

tortoise
09-13-2010, 18:51

Gray_Rider
09-19-2010, 18:25
I think too it comes down to your individual threat level. If you can carry something heavier than a 442/642 by all means do so. Most professionals don't depend on a snubby as their everyday primary, and if they do they practice till they can dot an i with it. The gun is a prime CQB weapon (close quarters battle) or ECQ (extreme close quarters) where most actual gunfights take place or end up taking place. Nothing is perfect in all situations. The snubby can almost always still fire when used at contact distance, and with the right ammo SWCHP +P has the stopping power of .45 ACP ball; Historically about 62 to 65%. The snubby is about as small and hideable a gun for its size as you can get for its power range, hence its popularity over the last nearly 60 years. You just have to know its limitations.

Gray_Rider

G19aps
09-20-2010, 09:16
You just have to know its limitations.
Gray_Rider

Exactly, and well put.

Six Feet Under
09-30-2010, 17:27
I plan on getting either a G26 or S&W 642 as a back-up or pocket gun. The only time I would ever carry JUST that is if I was in a place where I wasn't allowed to carry by company policy or something (I'd rather not ruin my shot at a career in LE by carrying in places prohibited by law, I've already overcome enough of an obstacle with my GSW forcing me to quit the first academy class and rehab myself over the last year).

It will come down to a G26, 642, or an LCP. I'm just not that impressed with .380; the G26 is bulkier but uses the same mags and ammo (a plus, as I plan on carrying a G17 mag for a reload) as my G19.

The 19 will go with me daily, everywhere that it is feasible... the 642/26/lcp will be for times when it is not.

Either way, only 12 days until I turn 21, and 13 days until I go apply for my permit. :)

Chup
10-01-2010, 20:16
I carried my 442 in my off hand pocket and Glock 26 on or in the waist for the last year. Then I shot the new LCR357. Now the LCR357 has taken over pocket duty.

CBRGlocker
10-09-2010, 15:25
I have a 642, my brother has a G26. Pocket carrying for me is tight with the G26 and the outline is more obvious than that of the 642. It's easier to get a hold of the 642 in the pocket and the presentation (for me), is faster. I do love the G26 for it's accuracy, firepower and reliability but it's best suited for me as a holstered piece.

ScottieG59
04-08-2011, 08:21
I carried a S&W 649 for years. It has always been an easy pocket carry weapon. I also carried two speed loaders. Though I could alway draw the 649 very quickly, the speed loaders seemed slow. You have to do the reloading "by the numbers" to be quick. Otherwise, the cases will not fully eject and one sticking case means no speed loading.

I also have a Glock 27, which is exactly the same size of the 26. I cannot effectively carry it in a pocket with any of my normal pants. I would have to get something baggier and look like a hoodlum. I have a couple pocket holsters for when I attempt pocket carry.

I found I have to use an IWB holster with the Glock 27, though I have not found a comfortable one that goes on quickly. Also, it is painful to drive with the IWB holsters I have. Also, I have a fairly large truck and I look like I am even more gimpy than I am when I try to step up while using the IWB holster. I suppose I could try a cross draw.

I also tried pocket carry in a leather jacket. There is no fast way to pull the Glock 27 out quickly, though it is not painful to carry.

A lot of the carry options seem easy until you go through your daily routine. I have avoided having pistols jump out or fall with my carry options, but the odds increase when you do not use a service holster with a good retention system.

Basically, if the first five shots matter the most, I will get them on target faster with the 649. If firepower matters more, I will put up with the pain of IWB carry with the G27. Fortunately, I have a good pain tolerance.

WMDoug
04-08-2011, 10:47
Scottie, you sound like me, almost exactly. I currently have a G19 and went to the gun store last week to purchase a G26 for CCW. After talking with the guy who runs the place, and who I GREATLY respect, I am now going there this afternoon to pick up a new Ruger LCR with the Crimson Trace grip. I simply couldn't let go of the idea that I might someday end up not carrying because of the lack of convenience of it all AND the thought of how hard it would be to present my CCW if I had to dig through layers of clothing to get to it. If you live in Michigan, we are still wearing jackets through the month of April.

I love everything Glock, but I like the Ruger solution better for pocket carry.

NMPOPS
05-01-2011, 03:48
Airweight J-Frame, a 26 feels like a brick in my pocket.

ScottieG59
07-23-2011, 00:12
I carry my Glock 27 IWB. I had tried pocket carry with several pocket holsters but none seemed right. Anyway, the J frames I carry work great in pocket carry, still with holster. They are much lighter and easier to conceal.

Glock26z
07-23-2011, 01:56
Try the Ruger LC9 if you can't make up your mind between the G26 or S&Ws 642. I got the LC9 with 10 mags and,I carry that with 4 extra 7 shot magazines and it feeds any type of 9mm ammo I put thru it.

up1911fan
07-23-2011, 21:31
My LCR make's a much better pocket gun for me than my G26.

alwaysshootin
07-23-2011, 22:58
No Glock carries well in a pocket unless you're Captain Kangaroo. :)

Oh God that's funny!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I really can't believe, some pocket carry, the G26. I carry a 642 with some regularity, and find it perfect for front pocket carry, with my Kramer horsehide. I own about twenty pairs of pants, and not one can I fit my hand in with a G26 already in the pocket.

alwaysshootin
07-23-2011, 23:19
Looks to me like your looking for a 2" J frame Airweight!@!
Even after already having My 9mm 940 Centennial, The Airweight is the Best Concealed carry firearm I have ever seen..

J Frame Smith & Wessons
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9706/9mmairweight942.jpg
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/6526/942940.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1006/942spegelslh.jpg

Man those are beautiful grips!!!!

Warp
07-24-2011, 15:47

BC

I pocket carry my 642 semi regularly now. I have never pocket carried my G26. It's way too freaking big, blocky and heavy for pocket carry. For me. IMO.

And holy hell could Glock Talk be any ****ing slower. The ads + smilies bog it down so much. Grrr!

TedG
07-29-2011, 12:01
Like most others, my CCW is dependent on the weather and types of clothing.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/26-642-1.jpg

den888
10-19-2011, 22:04
The 642/442's are better for pocket carry, lighter and more concealable.

Chili69
10-19-2011, 23:35
I carry 24/7 (well, not when I sleep) a 638 Airweight either in a Mika pocket holster, Cell Pal or a 5.11 Holster Shirt. Bianchi Speed strips, too.

off road
10-20-2011, 04:52
Even a few ounces makes a big difference in the pocket, so sadly the economical 15 oz S&W 442/642, are out for me. And, the Ruger LCR turned out to be on the bulky side (fat grip and bulbous trigger guard).

I won't even consider anything but one of the ultralight J-frames for pocket carry. My fave is the 11 oz 342, which is sadly out of production. Buying today, it would have to be an expensive 11 oz 340PD.

As for the Baby Glocks, they are overall very compact, but their square lines make them print much more than a revolver. Plus, at 19 oz empty, they are way to heavy. Best IWB carry gun I can think of....though!

WMDoug
10-26-2011, 12:18
Even a few ounces makes a big difference in the pocket, so sadly the economical 15 oz S&W 442/642, are out for me. And, the Ruger LCR turned out to be on the bulky side (fat grip and bulbous trigger guard)...

The LCR was on the "bulky side"!?! Are you sure you meant the Ruger LCR? That thing is skinny...

Chup
10-27-2011, 16:02
I stopped carrying my Glock early this summer and started carrying my SP101 and backing it up with my LCR357. I been missing my 442 so the last week I started to carry the LCR357 and back it up with the 442. (so many guns so little time)

writwing
10-29-2011, 08:11
I have carried the 26 and SW40 (all steel). Both carry equally well. When you consider the ergos and ballistics the 26 wins hands down.

voiceofreason
12-17-2011, 16:22
I used to own a G27. It was not possible for pocket carry for me. It was too thick, bulky, and heavy fully loaded.

J-frame is perfect for pocket carry. G26 is nothing but a short barreled G17 with the grip cut short. (That said, G19 is my primary carry gun)

Carver
12-17-2011, 17:38
I thought I'd post a followup since my original 'J-frame Vs. G26' post, after 3+ years of edc w/my permit. Again & again I tried to carry the G26 (I love Glocks above all), but in vane. I ended up ecd J-frame 340pd w/ Barami grips & Tyler T.

I recently changed to a Pachy grip & Cross-Breed holster. I have 'little' ones that would grab/hang-off of me, & I wanted a covered trigger.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a161/estranho/End%20Game/P1040074.jpg

m340
m442

writwing
02-20-2012, 08:51

BC

Ruger LCR

2740dmx
02-22-2012, 06:24
I bought a S&W 340 M&P...but still don't pocket carry!
Might have to consider pocket carry though....
because I have again returned to the subcompact Glocks, with a new Gen4 G26.

I will now only carry the j-frame when I am out to dinner with friends or some other social occasion that calls for complete discretion.

Could never pocket the subcompact Glocks though.....

fowler
02-28-2012, 04:42
First of all I don,t pocket carry. In the car its useless and all in all its a slow easy to get pinned in trapped carry. I prefer apendex carry with shirt out and the G26 fits there the same as the J-frame ,but with twice the firepower and faster repeat shots & reloads the ww 127gr.+P+ gets 1246fps out of the G26 barrel. Powerfull! IN the winter sometimes I carry my G26 in pocket holster in my carrhart farm coat out of the car. I like the sw j-frame ,but I shoot the G26 faster with more accuracy.

highfructosecornsyrp
02-28-2012, 11:56
I had an LCR (same size as j frame) that I tried pocket carrying for a while. I had a little trouble with it and sent it to Ruger. In the meantime I picked up an LCP. The difference in concealability and comfort...there is no comparison for pocket carry-I sold the hammerless snubby when it came back from the factory. I'm much more accurate with the LCP anyway...much.

That said, if you place an LC9 right on top of a J frame you will see that they are almost identical in size, yet the LC9 will be thinner.

L Pete
02-28-2012, 14:49
It was said earlier, Kahr PM9 or CM9...Smaller than an LC9, .....9mm, and quick reload ala' extra mags. Very well made....very dependable.

fowler
03-16-2012, 05:21
The Kahrs and the ruger are not very reliable or long lasting or able to shoot +P. The G26 is the Goldstandard in a Subcompact 9mm that can do all the above for the rest of your life. And I trust the G26 to work to save my life.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-16-2012, 05:37

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/allglock/100_4047.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/allglock/100_4050.jpg

Scale broken?

G19aps
03-16-2012, 09:41
nope, it's saying 1 lb 11.1 oz.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-16-2012, 18:26
nope, it's saying 1 lb 11.1 oz.

Oh, I see now :) The 26 has an extra pound of chunk.

ViennaGambit
03-16-2012, 18:34

+1

My SW 442 goes almost everywhere with me in a Mikas pocket holster. It is so easy to carry around. My G26 is getting jealous. I told it that if it weren't so fat I'd carry it more. :supergrin:

Own both and my experiences exactly.

G19aps
03-16-2012, 20:14
Oh, I see now :) The 26 has an extra pound of chunk.

I like to think of it as an extra pound of capability. :supergrin: But I don't often take advantage of it. My LCR loaded with 5 rounds in a Desantis Nemesis weighs 17.3 oz and the G26 with 10 rounds in an aholster is 28.3.

barth
07-07-2012, 15:17
I have a G27 and two J-Frames.
For a pocket pistol J-Frames rule the day.

I vote for Dos J-frames -
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo01/43/c1/4fea5ab317a6__1322345794000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false