Changing name of LLC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Changing name of LLC

Sgt. Rambo
06-07-2008, 15:09
Hey GTers..looking for help with changing the name of my LLC which was started in 2004 VERY small operation (just me) as a security consulting business...long story short due to me being full time LEO I'm now in the writing consulting business and need to change the name. NJ is wierd and only give an "Alternate name" option and I'm assuming that is the same thing. Its a form and a fee but I want to make sure I'm not running into problems. Thanks for the advice.

captyg76
06-09-2008, 08:55
Glenn,

Recommend setting up a new LLC. By doing so, you avoid the problems with the state that you described and also avoid any potential issues with previous customers of the security LLC. Recognize there are costs involved but a clean break is always better from a legal standpoint. Outfits like Legalzoom.com can do your new LLC paperwork cheaper than an attorney - unless you have a friend in that profession who is willing to do the work at a lower rate.

Jazz5
06-10-2008, 20:20
New LLC would be the way to go. Too many chances for confusion otherwise, bank accts etc.

Sgt. Rambo
06-11-2008, 06:52
Hey guys thanks for the info. I think you're right and that will be the easiest. Unfortunately in Jersey you have to pay to disolve one also. But in the long run it should work out. Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciate it.

Nakkie
06-16-2008, 01:10
Name change in NJ is simple : File "Certificate of Amendment" Form L-102. I'm sure there's a fee.

With the Feds all you have to do is note it on your Annual 1120, making sure you have included the correct corporate documentation and a copy of the state name change authorization.

Sgt. Rambo
06-16-2008, 05:14
Name change in NJ is simple : File "Certificate of Amendment" Form L-102. I'm sure there's a fee.

With the Feds all you have to do is note it on your Annual 1120, making sure you have included the correct corporate documentation and a copy of the state name change authorization.

Thanks Nakkie...couldn't find that form anywhere on NJ business site, but I will find it now. Very much appreciated and thank you!!

sdsnet
06-16-2008, 05:24
You can also just have a fairly innocuous name for an LLC and more specific DBA's tied to the LLC for whatever type business you are doing.