If I hear one more 'Soldier' [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : If I hear one more 'Soldier'

deadday
06-13-2008, 15:49
Say they are going to vote for Obama because they don't want to go to Iraq, I'm going to rip the US Army tape off their chest and beat the **** out of them...I'll listen to, and accept the discussion from Soldiers who have BTDT, but these are ****ing AIT students...They joined YEARS AFTER the invasion, knew exactly what they were getting in to. I remember swearing an Oath and signing a contract, just as these 'Soldiers' did, and I don't recall anywhere in either that said I could pick and choose where I deployed to...:steamed::steamed: Am I off-base here guys?

drew

GreenBeret1631
06-13-2008, 18:01
Say they are going to vote for Obama because they don't want to go to Iraq, I'm going to rip the US Army tape off their chest and beat the **** out of them...I'll listen to, and accept the discussion from Soldiers who have BTDT, but these are ****ing AIT students...They joined YEARS AFTER the invasion, knew exactly what they were getting in to. I remember swearing an Oath and signing a contract, just as these 'Soldiers' did, and I don't recall anywhere in either that said I could pick and choose where I deployed to...:steamed::steamed: Am I off-base here guys?

drew

Not IMO! :highfive:

GJ1981
06-13-2008, 18:24
I think your pretty much dead on there. I'm glad I'm away from the A.I.T crowd honestly. They pissed me off so much it wasn't funny. I'm sure you know as well as I do that they'll talk one way until they get their deployment orders.

deadday
06-13-2008, 18:31
I have to put up with the whiney-assed little *****es all day long at the hospital...And they say it with a straight face while working on or near me and several other SEVERELY (not me, I'm not to bad off) wounded combat veterans...We all just look at each other and roll our eyes...I don't understand these ****ing kids....I wouldn't want them on my team, in my truck, ****, I wouldn't want them on the same damned FOB/COB as me...****, I don't want them in my Army....Their damned Drills need to break out ole 22-102 and get their ****ing attitudes straight...

/extremely pissed off rant

drew

eta- damn that is a whole lot of **s

Javelin
06-13-2008, 18:32
I knew alot of people who voted for Kerry to stop the deployments. But looking back......

HAHA.

GJ1981
06-13-2008, 18:37
I remember getting stuck with some 1st Cav guys in my old barracks. I was 4th ID so they were getting ready to deploy. I remember, most wear 19D's, how they thought this and that about Iraq. I was trying to tell them to stop thinking the way they were but I doubt any of it sunk in. Some people have to learn the hard way, myself included.

deadday
06-13-2008, 18:43
I remember getting stuck with some 1st Cav guys in my old barracks. I was 4th ID so they were getting ready to deploy. I remember, most wear 19D's, how they thought this and that about Iraq. I was trying to tell them to stop thinking the way they were but I doubt any of it sunk in. Some people have to learn the hard way, myself included.

Some of my brother Scouts may not be the brightest Crayons in the box, but they will be the first in the fight, the first to step up for you, first to bail your ass outta trouble, and the best friend you could have...

drew

GJ1981
06-13-2008, 18:47
I was 11B, I got along with a few Scouts when I tried. It didn't matter was MOS a newbie was at first, they all got under my skin equally.

deadday
06-13-2008, 18:55
I was 11B, I got along with a few Scouts when I tried. It didn't matter was MOS a newbie was at first, they all got under my skin equally.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

GJ1981
06-13-2008, 19:58
Did I write something that funny? I'm not getting into that whole Scout vs Infantry thing....

deadday
06-13-2008, 20:14
Did I write something that funny? I'm not getting into that whole Scout vs Infantry thing....

You just spoke the truth bro, that's all...:wavey:

a newbie was at first, they all got under my skin equally.

drew

Biscuitsjam
06-13-2008, 21:44
There's always a few idiots. We just had one guy declare that he was a "concientious objector" a couple months after he finished AIT...

deadday
06-13-2008, 21:54
There's always a few idiots. We just had one guy declare that he was a "concientious objector" a couple months after he finished AIT...

Laundry room party? :whistling:

drew

Biscuitsjam
06-14-2008, 09:58
Laundry room party? :whistling:

drewWe just all ostracized the guy - it was the strangest thing I've ever seen. Nobody would talk to him or even make eye contact with him. Guys would hold doors for other people to walk through, then let them close in his face. It was like he was invisible - a ghost maybe...

And, it really messed with the guy's head.

deadday
06-14-2008, 10:53
We just all ostracized the guy - it was the strangest thing I've ever seen. Nobody would talk to him or even make eye contact with him. Guys would hold doors for other people to walk through, then let them close in his face. It was like he was invisible - a ghost maybe...

And, it really messed with the guy's head.

Well c'mon bro, you can't just leave it at that, how did it work out? Did he wind up being a chapter case? Did he get his head straight? I hope you didn't have to deploy with him...

drew

Biscuitsjam
06-14-2008, 11:29
It wasn't that long ago - maybe 6 weeks. I don't know how it worked out yet

He stopped coming to drill, because he said it interfered with his religion (7th Day Adventist). Our AGR admin guy finally convinced him to show up, and he spent 2 days filling out paperwork for his CO status. I haven't heard what happened since then. He wasn't there for the following drill (1 week at Fort McClellan) or Annual Training (NTC). I'll have to ask about it next time I see one of our admin guys.

Since we're at 195% strength right now in the troop (150% in the squadron, 120 in the state), I think they'll let him out somehow. I doubt he'll get CO status, but I probably won't ever see him again.

We deploy in 10 or 11 months.

Fred Hansen
06-14-2008, 12:09
It wasn't that long ago - maybe 6 weeks. I don't know how it worked out yet

He stopped coming to drill, because he said it interfered with his religion (7th Day Adventist). Our AGR admin guy finally convinced him to show up, and he spent 2 days filling out paperwork for his CO status. I haven't heard what happened since then. He wasn't there for the following drill (1 week at Fort McClellan) or Annual Training (NTC). I'll have to ask about it next time I see one of our admin guys.

Since we're at 195% strength right now in the troop (150% in the squadron, 120 in the state), I think they'll let him out somehow. I doubt he'll get CO status, but I probably won't ever see him again.

We deploy in 10 or 11 months.Please forgive me for dragging this thread off topic, but I just wanted to say that one of the bravest men I've ever heard of was a 7th Day Adventist and a CO: Private 1st Class Desmond T. Doss.
The President of the United States
in the name of The Congress
takes pleasure in presenting the
Medal of Honor
to

DOSS, DESMOND T.
Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Army, Medical Detachment, 307th Infantry, 77th Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Urasoe Mura, Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands, 29 April-21 May 1945. Entered service at: Lynchburg, Va. Birth: Lynchburg, Va. G.O. No.: 97, 1 November 1945.
Citation: He was a company aid man when the 1st Battalion assaulted a jagged escarpment 400 feet high As our troops gained the summit, a heavy concentration of artillery, mortar and machinegun fire crashed into them, inflicting approximately 75 casualties and driving the others back. Pfc. Doss refused to seek cover and remained in the fire-swept area with the many stricken, carrying them 1 by 1 to the edge of the escarpment and there lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of a cliff to friendly hands. On 2 May, he exposed himself to heavy rifle and mortar fire in rescuing a wounded man 200 yards forward of the lines on the same escarpment; and 2 days later he treated 4 men who had been cut down while assaulting a strongly defended cave, advancing through a shower of grenades to within 8 yards of enemy forces in a cave's mouth, where he dressed his comrades' wounds before making 4 separate trips under fire to evacuate them to safety. On 5 May, he unhesitatingly braved enemy shelling and small arms fire to assist an artillery officer. He applied bandages, moved his patient to a spot that offered protection from small arms fire and, while artillery and mortar shells fell close by, painstakingly administered plasma. Later that day, when an American was severely wounded by fire from a cave, Pfc. Doss crawled to him where he had fallen 25 feet from the enemy position, rendered aid, and carried him 100 yards to safety while continually exposed to enemy fire. On 21 May, in a night attack on high ground near Shuri, he remained in exposed territory while the rest of his company took cover, fearlessly risking the chance that he would be mistaken for an infiltrating Japanese and giving aid to the injured until he was himself seriously wounded in the legs by the explosion of a grenade. Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited 5 hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover. The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Pfc. Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter; and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man. Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, this time suffering a compound fracture of 1 arm. With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards over rough terrain to the aid station. Through his outstanding bravery and unflinching determination in the face of desperately dangerous conditions Pfc. Doss saved the lives of many soldiers. His name became a symbol throughout the 77th Infantry Division for outstanding gallantry far above and beyond the call of duty.Biscuitsjam, if you could, I hope you would show the young man in your unit that a person can be a CO, and not be a coward. Quite frankly I don't have the balls it would take to go into combat without a gun, not to mention while being unwilling to kill a fellow human being, and thus I admire those who can and do as much as I would the fiercest of warriors.

I hope the young man is being genuine about his CO beliefs; I don't share them, but PFC Desmond Doss' story certainly changed forever the way I looked at COs. Taken to its logical conclusion (in combat at least) CO is an ultimate statement of faith.

deadday
06-14-2008, 12:14
A CO that was drafted (I'm assuming he was a draftee given time frame and CO status) is a totally different story than a guy that volunteered, during wartime, and decided after training that he didn't want to play..

Hell of a story there on PFC Doss, and he is/was (not sure if he is still alive) one BRAVE man, and a damned fine Soldier.

drew

Biscuitsjam
06-14-2008, 12:25
Alvin York, a WWI medal of honor winner and one of America's most famous soldiers, also tried to apply for CO status:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_C._York

COs are not always cowards, and sometimes pacifism takes more courage than fighting. Still, somebody who voluntarily joins the military and THEN immediately decides to try and become a CO has some serious mental issues. He's not somebody I want watching my back.

deadday
06-14-2008, 12:39
Alvin York, a WWI medal of honor winner and one of America's most famous soldiers, also tried to apply for CO status:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_C._York

COs are not always cowards, and sometimes pacifism takes more courage than fighting. Still, somebody who voluntarily joins the military and THEN immediately decides to try and become a CO has some serious mental issues. He's not somebody I want watching my back.

That's what I was saying...I have no qualms against a CO that was drafted into the Army...but this guy voluntarily joined, in wartime, and then decides he doesn't want to play...I have major problems with that...

drew

Fred Hansen
06-14-2008, 12:50
A CO that was drafted (I'm assuming he was a draftee given time frame and CO status) is a totally different story than a guy that volunteered, during wartime, and decided after training that he didn't want to play..

Hell of a story there on PFC Doss, and he is/was (not sure if he is still alive) one BRAVE man, and a damned fine Soldier.

drewMr. Doss passed away in 2006. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss

As to the validity of when a person decides they are (or want to be) a CO, well I can't speak to that. Matters of personal faith - in my life at least - reveal themselves in different times, and in different ways.

As I said, I didn't want to drag this thread too far afield, I just wanted folks to know that a person can be a CO, and still be brave. Which is not to say that is always true of all COs.

I hope that the young man in question gets his act together regardless of what category of CO he falls into.

Thank you gentlemen for your service. :patriot:

Bren
06-14-2008, 18:00
I wouldn't want them on the same damned FOB/COB as me...****, I don't want them in my Army....Their damned Drills need to break out ole 22-102 and get their ****ing attitudes straight...

Well, I don't know if this is related to the ones you are talking about, but the Army's latest questionable training move is to decide that they don't want to have "drills" in AIT because they don't promote the warm, fuzzy learning environment todays non-combat arms soldiers needs (and possibly due to shortage of drill sergeants). I believe Combat arms, MP's, etc., will still have drill sergeants all the way through OSUT.

deadday
06-14-2008, 18:09
Well, I don't know if this is related to the ones you are talking about, but the Army's latest questionable training move is to decide that they don't want to have "drills" in AIT because they don't promote the warm, fuzzy learning environment todays non-combat arms soldiers needs (and possibly due to shortage of drill sergeants). I believe Combat arms, MP's, etc., will still have drill sergeants all the way through OSUT.

I heard about that a couple weeks ago and threw up a little in my mouth....Couldn't tell you if it is related or not, but either way...Sheesh...WTF is my/our Army coming to? I mean, here at Ft Sam specifically, these kids are already out of control, with the Drills...it is only going to get so much worse now....Last I heard, Ft Sam had the highest rate of sexual assaults (of any post), most underage drinking incidents of all TRADOC posts, most DUIs of all TRADOC posts...Which idiot with the stars has his head so far up his ass the he/she thinks they need less supervision and less discipline is what I would like to know....

drew

drew

GJ1981
06-14-2008, 18:50
the Army's latest questionable training move is to decide that they don't want to have "drills" in AIT

That is really sad if that's the case. I remember even with DS's around my PLT still had a few S bags totally out of control at times, or so it seemed. I can't/don't want to imagine what it would be like if things were to get easier than what they already are. It reminds me of one guy I knew from basic that was in my first unit. What he did stills gets under my skin to this day.

deadday
06-14-2008, 19:25
That is really sad if that's the case. I remember even with DS's around my PLT still had a few S bags totally out of control at times, or so it seemed. I can't/don't want to imagine what it would be like if things were to get easier than what they already are. It reminds me of one guy I knew from basic that was in my first unit. What he did stills gets under my skin to this day.

It's already being implemented brother...:upeyes: Decisions like these make me glad they are retiring me...

drew

shawnt64
06-15-2008, 07:59
i am about to deploy to iraq. i personally think the iraq war is an incredible mistake and could care less about wether those idiots have freedom. actually i have yet to find a soldier that could give a rats ass if the iraqis have freedom. the only reason i joined is that hopefully i can do my part in preventing another outstanding american from loosing his or her life by giving my own. congrats to anyone that joins cause we are all going to fight and if they vote for a candidate that recognizes the idiocy of iraq occupation then i am happy for them. i mean really what the hell does winning the war in iraq mean... that we can vacation in sadar city with our families.

hotrod26
06-15-2008, 12:29

drew

+1
Couldn't agree with you more. They signed the contract to serve so that is what they need to do and quit whining.

nothing
06-16-2008, 17:14
i am about to deploy to iraq. i personally think the iraq war is an incredible mistake and could care less about wether those idiots have freedom. actually i have yet to find a soldier that could give a rats ass if the iraqis have freedom. the only reason i joined is that hopefully i can do my part in preventing another outstanding american from loosing his or her life by giving my own. congrats to anyone that joins cause we are all going to fight and if they vote for a candidate that recognizes the idiocy of iraq occupation then i am happy for them. i mean really what the hell does winning the war in iraq mean... that we can vacation in sadar city with our families.

Basically if we don't finish off the insurgency we will end up there again. Historically it takes 9-13 years for a successful COIN operation. We are 6 years in to this one. Unfortunately the media does not teach history, they also don't teach priciples of COIN.

fxdwngflyr
06-25-2008, 09:00
WELFARE SOLDIERS, just collecting a check.

Not their fault though. I blame the pathetic organizations called USAREC and TRADOC.

Those idiots should be fired. An individual will only do what you allow them to do.

Bren
06-25-2008, 12:55

No, the war in Iraq means we are strategically situated to exert force in an area of the world that is increasingly dangerous and important to everybody - much like the occupation of Germany during the cold war. Not many people care if the Iraqis have freedom, but it's pretty simple thinking if you buy the leftists' claims that "oil" or "saving Iraquis" is the only reason we are there. Naturally, the whitehouse/military can't say we are putting ourselves in a strategic position ot attack Iran/Syria/Pakistan/etc. if we need to, but it should be pretty clear.

Beer_Forever
06-25-2008, 13:03
I am a paramedic for a local ambulance company and see a lot of gruesome things every shift almost. I joined the navy reserves because I still want to continue my job, but also want to serve my country.

I am now a Navy Coreman and joined because of the war. I am put on this earth to help people in their time of most dire need. I help people as a civilian as a paramedic and when I get deployed I will help the Marines as a Coreman. Sure it is a scary thought that I will see combat, but I volunteered and I know exactly what I have got myself into. I have a wife and big family, but I will die for my brothers and to protect this great country. I did it for myself and for the Marines who's lives I will save and if I do die, my life will not have been wasted. God bless all of you.

P.S.

I think that we are in Iraq to prepare our forces for Pakistan and Iran. I don't give a you know what if the people of Iraq have freedom. I don't like to see innocent people die, but the enemy hides amongst them. We need to drop leaflets telling the people they have 48 hours to vacate and them carpet bomb the entire country, then divide it up into three different countries.

Biscuitsjam
06-25-2008, 21:02
A coreman?

Oh well, I guess I have more than a few Calvary Scouts in my unit.

xxiv
06-28-2008, 12:58
I am a paramedic for a local ambulance company and see a lot of gruesome things every shift almost. I joined the navy reserves because I still want to continue my job, but also want to serve my country.

I am now a Navy Coreman and joined because of the war. I am put on this earth to help people in their time of most dire need. I help people as a civilian as a paramedic and when I get deployed I will help the Marines as a Coreman. Sure it is a scary thought that I will see combat, but I volunteered and I know exactly what I have got myself into. I have a wife and big family, but I will die for my brothers and to protect this great country. I did it for myself and for the Marines who's lives I will save and if I do die, my life will not have been wasted. God bless all of you.

P.S.

I think that we are in Iraq to prepare our forces for Pakistan and Iran. I don't give a you know what if the people of Iraq have freedom. I don't like to see innocent people die, but the enemy hides amongst them. We need to drop leaflets telling the people they have 48 hours to vacate and them carpet bomb the entire country, then divide it up into three different countries.

I think you meant Corpsman.

deadday
06-28-2008, 13:14
I think you meant Corpsman.

Have you ever met a squiddy with more than a 4th grade edumacashun? :tongueout:

j/k

drew

the iceman
07-03-2008, 00:21
This doesn't suprise me the slightest. The Army is transforming into something terrible and it was wise to get out when I did.

Biscuitsjam
07-03-2008, 00:27
Have you ever met a squiddy with more than a 4th grade edumacashun? :tongueout:

j/k

drewThere was an Army National Guard soldier that actually had "Calvary" tattooed on his arm. Whoops!

I think any of the branches have multiple examples of guys who can't spell their own job titles.

Sam White
07-03-2008, 08:10
Are you sure it didn't refer to this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvary

Biscuitsjam
07-03-2008, 09:27

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CalvaryUnfortunately, no. It was part of a larger tattoo about how great he was to be in the military.

deadday
07-05-2008, 13:12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvary

Yeah, I always tell my soldiers 'Calvary is where Jesus went to die, the Cavalry is where you go to keep him company..'

drew