Prairie dog shooters...answer this? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Prairie dog shooters...answer this?

MrMurphy
07-03-2002, 16:19
Always wondered... what the heck do you do with all the dead prairie dogs?

swampmaster
07-03-2002, 16:30
Well ya can eat them, but i leave them for the other varmits to eat.

mpol777
07-03-2002, 17:10
i'll take a line from the outlaw josie wales.

"buzzards gotta eat same as worms"

i love that movie.

allhowl
07-03-2002, 18:10
I love them fried like chicken. took several #2 had cooked once to work & everyone who tried them couldn't believe they were prarie dogs. They all loved them & wanted me to bring more.

Snowshoe
07-03-2002, 18:54
This is going to sound strange. I killed some, walked down to the mounds and found that there were no bodies. The only body found was one shot at close range not on a mound.

So, the answer would be, leave them.

swampmaster
07-03-2002, 20:29
Legend has it they were called a barking squirrel(sp)and early pioneers and settlers used them as a main dish while hunting for there families.When we were in South Dakota on a cattle drive we did some Prairie Dog Shooting they have eaten them before said it kinda taste like fried squirrel (sp).But them some people say cat taste just like rabbit??????????????????????????????????????????????????

DJ Niner
07-04-2002, 01:32
Kick them back into holes, back-fill with dirt from the mound. I do NOT handle sod poodles, as they may have fleas which carry disease; right after a prairie rat expires, the fleas are looking for a new host/home, and I don't want it to be me!

tjpet
07-04-2002, 01:45
Usually after being hit by a HV varmint round there's nothing left but proteins and ammino acids floating in the air. Whatever few pieces do remain are eaten quickly by the local predator population.

MrMurphy
07-04-2002, 09:44
That's pretty much what I figured. I always wondered, and prairie-dog shooting articles never say what happens to them AFTER they get hit.

glockster96
07-04-2002, 22:00
Definitely leave them lay. There was a mountain biker last year in Colorado who rode by a dog town and caught the plague and died. Creepy. ;g

sharpshooter
07-08-2002, 00:15
If there's anything much left after your first shot, you aren't using enough gun... They don't call it the "red mist club" for nothing. Leave 'em where they fall. Coyotes gotta eat too.

Wild Bill
07-08-2002, 16:09
I've been wanting to shoot prairie dogs for a while now. How do I go about finding a place to shoot some?

glockster96
07-08-2002, 20:33
Originally posted by Wild Bill
I've been wanting to shoot prairie dogs for a while now. How do I go about finding a place to shoot some?

Bill,

Just do a search on the net. Should turn up some places. Or if you know anyone in dog country, thats an extra easy way of finding a shooting place. :)

The Pontificator
07-13-2002, 09:10
Our own Dennis in MA went prarie dog hunting last summer. He probably has some good stories to share.

So...Dennis...how about sharing some prarie dog stories with us?

Bonk
07-24-2002, 15:59
I shoot groundhogs on my brother's girlfriend's farm. She was kind of yucked out the first time I just left the critters where they died, so out of courtesy I started carrying a small shovel (my old USMC e-tool) and flinging them into the nearest hole and covering them up. If no hole within 30 feet, I dig another one and bury the furry thing. I'm only shooting 6 to 10 hogs a trip, so it's not too much work.

Remember, it's not that life is short, it's that death is so long.;Q