Can't decide. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide.

Usingmyrights
06-15-2008, 13:38
I want a superzoom P&S and can't decide on which one. I'm looking at the Nikon P80, Olympus SP570 and Panasonic FZ18.

I've heard about a blueband showing up in photos on the FZ18 and it doesn't quite have as many MPs. Also it only goes down to a setting of 100, while the P80 goes down to 64.

The P80 I keep hearing about the sensor being to small.

The Olympus is the most exspensive of the group, and seems to have fewer users than the other two. I can't think of the other negitive offhand.

I'm concerned about the time it takes to take the picture and the shot to shot time. Kids and wildlife don't stand still well. I'm going to be doing snapshots of my daughter, wildlife, a little macro, and some staged shots of various stuff. Not ready for a DSLR both skill and pocketbook wise. I'd also like to learn the pro's/con's of the different types of cards.Help me choose so I can start taking pictures.

Fred
06-15-2008, 13:58
Can't help you with the others, but my brother has a P80 and loves it. He's a biker, so looked for a small, lightweight travel camera. What attracted him most to the P80 was the tremendous zoom range it has.

Curley
06-16-2008, 10:36
I'd suggest that you take a look at the Fujifilm Finepix S9000 or S9100. They are both great and offer excellent speed and low-light performance. (I would recommend the even-better S6000fd, but it's been discontinued.)

The two potential drawbacks are size -- they're as big as an SLR -- and price -- about $360 for the S9000 and more for the S9100.

They have better lenses than most P&S cameras, and have the 35mm-equivalent zoom range of 27-300mm.

I had an S9000 before I moved up to a dSLR -- which doesn't cost that much more these days.

Usingmyrights
06-16-2008, 13:03
I'd suggest that you take a look at the Fujifilm Finepix S9000 or S9100. They are both great and offer excellent speed and low-light performance. (I would recommend the even-better S6000fd, but it's been discontinued.)

The two potential drawbacks are size -- they're as big as an SLR -- and price -- about $360 for the S9000 and more for the S9100.

They have better lenses than most P&S cameras, and have the 35mm-equivalent zoom range of 27-300mm.

I had an S9000 before I moved up to a dSLR -- which doesn't cost that much more these days.

I was looking for around a 500mm equivalent. I'm starting to lean away from the P80 and toward the FZ18, but with almost a year between the release dates I wonder tech wise how much better the P80 is.

Curley
06-16-2008, 14:02
I don't know anything about the P80 (must be pretty new), but I also considered the FZ18 before I bought the Fuji.

The FZ18 seems to get rave reviews in all areas except one -- too much noise in low-light situations. I don't know that from first-hand experience. It's just what I've read. :dunno:

The Fuji was pretty good in low-light situations and had very little shutter lag, which is why I went for it instead. But I'm sure the FZ18 also makes great photos.