Personal issues (men prolly don't want to read this one) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Personal issues (men prolly don't want to read this one)

Jyanna
06-16-2008, 14:43
So this is sort of odd, but lacking too many female friends of the appropriate age, I'm going to throw it out here. Let me know if it's too off topic and I'll pull the thread.

Here's the deal. I have had issues with my hormone system since I was a teenager. I had 4 miscarriages at the end of last year and in an effort to fix some of what isn't working right I underwent a full hysterectomy about six weeks ago. Now I'm in surgically induced menopause. I am wearing a hormone patch, but some of the symptoms are still there. Most notably the hot flashes. I do not know the average age of the OAF women, so there may not be anyone out there who's dealt with menopause, but if there is any advice that can be offered I would be happy to hear it.

sweetatergal
06-16-2008, 15:39
All I can offer is that my Mom went throught the same thing in her mid 40's. She had a complete hysterectomy (and so did my aunt, her youngest sister). My Mom took horomone pills while my Aunt wore the patch. They still had the horomone issues, hot flashes and so on. This was in the mid to late 80's. I wish I could offer more.

Good luck. After watching my Mom and Aunt go throught this, I'm not looking forward to it. :hugs:

MrsKitty
06-16-2008, 20:10
I can't offer any suggestions or advice but... :hugs:

kcb
06-16-2008, 21:13
Jyanna,

PM sent!

:hugs:

Swattie's Wife
06-17-2008, 11:22
Jyanna,

I also sent you a PM.

Susi

Mrs. Tink
06-17-2008, 11:24
Hey Jyanna, my mom is going through menopause and she has the same issues. She got a t-shirt that reads, "Women don't have hot flashes... they have POWER SURGES!" I think she has a great attitude.

Mainly, she always has a hair clip at the ready, she layers her clothes and bedding, and carries cold water. She tried medication but it made her blow up like a balloon, so she decided she'd rather just deal with it!

Swattie's Wife
06-17-2008, 11:27
I froze out my family...especially in the summer!!! They were wearing coats and I was still hot! Now I don't get hotflashes but they used to be really bad!

sweetatergal
06-17-2008, 14:36
My Aunt would get hot flashes so BAD that she would strip down to NOTHING and go out on her back deck (she lives out in the country and thick trees between the houses and all). Well, she did that one night/early morning in the middle of winter and got locked out of the house. :shocked:

We get a good laugh out of it now. :supergrin:

I remember when I was pregnant with my 2 girls and being so HOT. If this is any idea of what I have to look forward too, I'm not thrilled about it. :upeyes:

Swattie's Wife
06-17-2008, 14:52
My Aunt would get hot flashes so BAD that she would strip down to NOTHING and go out on her back deck (she lives out in the country and thick trees between the houses and all). Well, she did that one night/early morning in the middle of winter and got locked out of the house. :shocked:

We get a good laugh out of it now. :supergrin:

I remember when I was pregnant with my 2 girls and being so HOT. If this is any idea of what I have to look forward too, I'm not thrilled about it. :upeyes:

That's funny! I hope your Aunt had a robe or something at least with her! And if I could undo my decision about having a hysterectomy I would. It was just about the worst decision I ever made! It was worse after than before.

Jyanna
06-17-2008, 17:09
Based on what I'm seeing here, I'm actually having VERY light symptoms. I should clarify that by full hyst I mean that they took the uterus and the ovaries. So I am no longer producing any of my own hormones.

kcb
06-17-2008, 19:03
No hot flashes....more like freezing flashes.

The problems I've had weren't so much from the hysterectomy but the reason I had to have a hysterectomy in the first place.

I don't think that I regret mine....even though I was very young. It was quite a few years ago, and I felt SO much better after the surgery than I had
for several years before.

It was a miracle that I had my two daughters; so I'm thankful for the timing of it all.

NOW, I don't want any surprises at this point in my life, like a few of my girlfriends HAVE experienced, so life is very good....and VERY spontaneous!

:supergrin:

I hope that you feel better everyday. It might just take a period of adjustment!

postmanpwc
06-18-2008, 00:14
I used to work at this place with this woman...I think she was in her 40's...and it seem like everyday she would tell someone to turn the fan on and we gave her a fan just for her. She told us she had hot flashes and I thought she was just working very hard and became hot/sweaty. Wow was I so clueless lol.

sweetatergal
06-18-2008, 11:33
That's funny! I hope your Aunt had a robe or something at least with her! And if I could undo my decision about having a hysterectomy I would. It was just about the worst decision I ever made! It was worse after than before.

Actually, she did not have anything with her at all. Bum nekkid on her back deck, middle of winter in the middle of the night.

M I K
06-20-2008, 20:13
My wife developed a problem about 3 yrs ago when she was 57. She had mood swings and odd feelings. She had what is known as a nervious breakdown. We learned that there is basically no such thing as a NB. We found out that she in fact had an Estrogen problem/imbalance. With the help of a good Dr, she is doing great now. YMMV

I don't know why I'm going to the trouble to read this thread or respond to it. Maybe I would just like to help.

Good Luck,
Merrill

Swattie's Wife
06-20-2008, 21:09
My wife developed a problem about 3 yrs ago when she was 57. She had mood swings and odd feelings. She had what is known as a nervious breakdown. We learned that there is basically no such thing as a NB. We found out that she in fact had an Estrogen problem/imbalance. With the help of a good Dr, she is doing great now. YMMV

I don't know why I'm going to the trouble to read this thread or respond to it. Maybe I would just like to help.

Good Luck,
Merrill

It's always nice to have our husbands on our side! It shows that they care about us. I'm glad to hear that your wife is doing much better!!!

Mrs. VR
06-23-2008, 18:23
Jyanna, my mom went thru menopause about ten years ago, but she just had a complete hysterectomy a couple weeks ago for ovarian cancer, and she had some hot flashes after surgery, so there must have been SOME hormones left over that she didn't know about. I'm sorry you had to deal with this, my SIL had a hysterectomy after many miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy. They adopted my beautiful niece 5 years ago. :hugs: