Glock High Cap. Magazine In California [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock High Cap. Magazine In California

Dr_Shakalu
06-19-2008, 23:05
Hey everyone. I was wondering. I know the max. rounds legal is in a 10 round magazine. Does this apply to law enforcement also? I will be starting the SFPD academy later this year and wanted to try to get info before I start. Thanks, The Doctor.

briansp82593
06-19-2008, 23:17
yeah, Im almost positive it doesnt apply to LEO's

desertratone
06-19-2008, 23:26
No it does not apply to sworn law enforcement officers. But, to buy the hi cap mags, you must present a letter on department letter head allowing you to make the purchase.

shotgunred
06-20-2008, 00:02
with all the gun laws in California you shouldn't need a gun and certianly not more than 10 evil bullets.:rofl:

Quiet
06-20-2008, 01:04
No it does not apply to sworn law enforcement officers. But, to buy the hi cap mags, you must present a letter on department letter head allowing you to make the purchase.

LEOs in CA no longer have to produce a department letterhead to purchase large capacity magazines.

All that is required is to show your LE ID, the FFL dealer makes a copy of it for their records.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/exemptpo.php

Policy Change Regarding State Exemptions for Authorized Peace Officers

Effective immediately, peace officers who have legislative authority to carry and use firearms may, without a letter signed by the head of their agency or the agency head's designee, purchase non-rostered handguns and/or large capacity magazines. The peace officer must present a valid peace officer identification card and the dealer must retain a copy of the identification card on file. (PC 12132 & 12133). A letter is still required from the head of the agency to exempt the peace officer from the ten day waiting period. (PC 12078).

Quiet
06-20-2008, 01:09
Hey everyone. I was wondering. I know the max. rounds legal is in a 10 round magazine. Does this apply to law enforcement also? I will be starting the SFPD academy later this year and wanted to try to get info before I start. Thanks, The Doctor.
You should wait until after you graduate from the academy before making any purchases.

LE academy recruit ID is not sufficiant enough to allow you to purchase large capacity magazines.

Also, your department may limit what type of duty weapon you are allowed to carry.

Not sure if it's changed in the last 5 years, but SFPD issues the Beretta Model 96D.