Loss of power on 2002 Buick [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power on 2002 Buick

jbutenhoff
06-20-2008, 20:32
We recently purchased a 2002 Buick Lesabre with 60,000 miles on it. During the purchase it acted great (of course!) The next day we noticed a loss of power during acceleration that comes and goes.

When you start out it is fine, but almost randomly at points it stops picking up speed. Even if you floor it the car only maintains its speed. A few seconds later it will start to pick up again. After it does this the check engine light comes on.

My first idea was that it had bad gas in it. The previous owners put it away each winter when they left for Arizona so it might have had old gas still in it. I put in some injector cleaner and filled the tank. Also I replaced the fuel filter. The problem seemed to go away, but the next day it was back!

Any ideas on the cause? I am almost thinking the computer in the car is retarding the engine since it is detecting knocking, but there are no signs of that other than the lack of power. It is a 3800 engine.

Thanks!

GlockSupremacy
06-20-2008, 23:38
We recently purchased a 2002 Buick Lesabre with 60,000 miles on it. During the purchase it acted great (of course!) The next day we noticed a loss of power during acceleration that comes and goes.

When you start out it is fine, but almost randomly at points it stops picking up speed. Even if you floor it the car only maintains its speed. A few seconds later it will start to pick up again. After it does this the check engine light comes on.

My first idea was that it had bad gas in it. The previous owners put it away each winter when they left for Arizona so it might have had old gas still in it. I put in some injector cleaner and filled the tank. Also I replaced the fuel filter. The problem seemed to go away, but the next day it was back!

Any ideas on the cause? I am almost thinking the computer in the car is retarding the engine since it is detecting knocking, but there are no signs of that other than the lack of power. It is a 3800 engine.

Thanks!

Sounds like maybe a misfire to me. Get the codes run and see why the ses light is coming on...pep boys, autozone...etc. well usually do this for free. Then come back and it will be easier to diagnose. Like if its a miss or going lean...

Also a quick check...pull the sparkplugs wires off all the coil packs...they are know to corrode there.

Bowtie
06-21-2008, 15:12
Cat. Converter?

GlockSupremacy
06-21-2008, 19:59
like bowtie said the cat is another possibility.....or perhaps the fuel pump is on its way out...

knightkrawler00
06-21-2008, 21:34
The cats probably aren't the cause, once they plug, they're plugged no intermittent problems. Get the DTC checked. My bet is on the fuel pump, drive it with a fuel pressure gauge installed and watch it when you put it to the wood. Fuel pressure on that car should be in the mid to high 40 PSI range.

Bowtie
06-21-2008, 21:41
Thats not true.When a cat is busted the parts of the brick can plug the outlet side off and on.When a cat gets plugged it doesnt always mean it melted.Best quick way to check if its busted is get under there and bang on it with a rubber mallet.See if it rattles.

knightkrawler00
06-22-2008, 04:21
You know, that's true. Didn't think about it that way. Usually when a customer comes in with a cat coming apart, they are complaining about the rattle, not the loss of power:wow:. It sure is fun working on them when the warranty is almost up.

Bowtie
06-22-2008, 11:18
What happened to your avitar?I was checking out your crawler.

Hauptmann6
06-22-2008, 21:19
Hit clubgp.com those guys are better with 3800s than anyone.