Breast pump recomendations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Breast pump recomendations

Davegrave
06-22-2008, 09:41
I know there are a lot of experienced breast feeders here. So...any suggestions for a good pump? I need one that can be found at local stores if possible. I have every major chain near by. And it can't cost a ton. I don't know much about pricing really. This is my first stop researching them. Since mom is staying home with baby we didn't think we'd need one, but he isn't eating nearly what she's making and she is quite sore. She could use some relief and it would be nice to store some so she can leave the baby with me for longer periods if she wan't to run out to the store or see some friends alone.

Swattie's Wife
06-22-2008, 16:12
I know there are a lot of experienced breast feeders here. So...any suggestions for a good pump? I need one that can be found at local stores if possible. I have every major chain near by. And it can't cost a ton. I don't know much about pricing really. This is my first stop researching them. Since mom is staying home with baby we didn't think we'd need one, but he isn't eating nearly what she's making and she is quite sore. She could use some relief and it would be nice to store some so she can leave the baby with me for longer periods if she wan't to run out to the store or see some friends alone.

It's been awhile since I had a baby but I think you go to a baby store you can get some help. You can ask questions there and then see if Wal-Mart, Target or K-Mart has one. Even Wal-Mart has some (noticed when I bought a gift for a friend who just had a baby). I remember one friend who had the same problem. She would use the pump if he was sleeping and freeze it. I beleive that their are the two kinds. One is electric and the other non-electric. I STILL remember how painful the electric one was.

Best of luck and Congrats on the new baby!

Ljunatic
06-22-2008, 17:38
My wife is an expert and she says get a MEDELA "SYMPHONY" or "PUMP IN STYLE" brands

glock_19_9mm
06-22-2008, 19:22
Pay the money and get the expensive one. We have the Medela it was around $300 but worth every penny... Don't even bother with the walmart ones not worth the effort.

JJ

intheburbs
06-22-2008, 19:31
Click here and buy this from another GT member (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886818)

'nuff said

Ljunatic
06-22-2008, 19:40
Click here and buy this from another GT member (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886818)

'nuff said

git r dun

Davegrave
06-23-2008, 10:24
From breastfeeding.com
Just not comfortable going used. Sorry.
Thanks for the recomendations so far.

"The concern of buying a used pump is something many breastfeeding moms encounter. Although a used pump may be more affordable than a new one, there are real health implications involved.
The practice of re-using single user pumps may be dangerous because some disease organisms are know to be present in the breast milk of infected women. Additionally, if a woman has used the breast pump during an episode of cracked bleeding nipples, blood contamination may have also occurred. Home sterilization methods are not always reliable to ensure the safe destruction of all pathogens especially in the rubber parts such as washers and diaphragms. Some pumps have internal diaphragms that cannot be removed and cleaned or replaced. In addition, even if you get a new collection kit (the part the touches your breast and collects the milk) it may be possible for air-born pathogens or droplets of milk that are not visible to the naked eye to get into a pump motor and cause contamination to the next user. Most single user pumps are "open system" pumps and do not have any protective barrier to prevent cross contamination to multiple users.
Many of the diseases that can be found in the milk of infected women are very serious or life threatening. Pathogens like Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis, cytomegalovirus (CMV) and others can be found in the breastmilk of infected women. (Lawrence 94) These diseases frequently go undetected for long periods of time, so even if the former user of the pump is trustworthy and willing to share this personal health information with you, she may not be aware she or her partner are carriers. Though there have not been any documented cases of mothers or babies being infected through the use of a second-hand pump, I don't believe sharing single user pumps is worth even a very small or theoretical risk.
Other very difficult to clear fungal infections like candidiasis, more commonly known as yeast or thrush, may also be transmitted. Yeast organisms are very stubborn pathogens that can live on surfaces for long periods. Some lactation consultants will go as far as recommending replacing old pump equipment when working with a mom who has an especially persistent yeast infection because of the difficult in ensuring the complete destruction of the fungus even with careful cleaning.
In addition to the health risks of borrowing a pump there are ethical ones as well. I have worked with several moms who purchased or borrowed a used pump from a friend or relative, only to have that pump break or stop operating while they were using it. These moms then felt obligated to purchase a new pump,if it was a borrowed pump, the new pump had to be returned and the mom had spent a lot of extra money that she didn't need to. The approximate cost to formula feed a baby for one year is $2,300.00 , a new breast pump is very reasonable compared to that price.
Most breast pumps come with a one year warranty, but this only applies to the original owner, any sharing of the pump negates the warranty."
The FDA states "Only FDA cleared, hospital-grade pumps should be used by more than one person."

Ljunatic
06-23-2008, 10:30
I guess I didn't consider that... good catch Dad

iron medic
06-23-2008, 11:00
Look on ebay for a medela and buy new hoses and such from medical supply store. I bout a nice medela for my wife when she had our first for like 150. They are worth their weight in gold according to my wife. And it lets you get involved to. We had twins our first go round and it helped alot that she could pump and I could feed, label and such.

BerettaGrl
06-23-2008, 12:35
I used an Avent Isis(manual, single). Worked fine, doesn't cost much.

I understand the Pump in Style by Medela is great.

If you only need one short term, you can rent from a hospital.

Mrs. VR
06-23-2008, 18:18
Another vote for the pump in style. The parts that actually touch your body are bought separately, so I did hand mine down to someone. At the time, it was the closest thing to hospital grade that you could buy. There are also places that rent the hospital grade ones, which really ARE the best, and it ends up not being that pricey. Totally worth every penny. Best of luck.

eta: shoulda read the post above mine first :supergrin:

Ljunatic
06-23-2008, 19:09
When my wife was working as a breastfeeding educator here in Lincoln, the non-profit she worked at rented out and maintained their pumps as well as sold new ones.

Maybe there is a similar source in your home town

Davegrave
06-23-2008, 22:27
Anyone used the Medela Swing? It's quite a bit cheaper and we really won't be pumping much since she will be with the baby always except for on occasion. Money is tight right now and I can't really afford the $250 or so for a pump in style and sure as hell not the $1500 for the symphony. Wow. We could hire a wet nurse for less than that. :rofl:

Medela seems to be the standout brand and the Swing is more at the top of my price range. Anyone have any bad or good experiences?

RyanNREMTP
07-03-2008, 16:13
I used an Avent Isis(manual, single). Worked fine, doesn't cost much.

I understand the Pump in Style by Medela is great.

If you only need one short term, you can rent from a hospital.

The Avent one is the brand that my wife used with our last kid. She didn't have the problems she had with the first one and I can't recall what the first one was.

m814
07-06-2008, 15:55
You have been given some good advice. I will share what I did for my wife. She had the same problems after the milk started coming in and also it was much more convenient to pump at given times and then save the milk. It worked good for us.
Anyway, I started with one of the very cheap single unit electric pumps available at WalMart. This worked to show that she could indeed pump and we saw a benefit in it. She did this for a few days and the pump quit. The power supply was bad. She called the company, I think it was AVENT, and they sent a new pump. Well, it wasn't the pump, it was the transformer, and we needed one in the time it took the replacement to get to us. So her mom bought another one just like that one. It worked until I could get by the Target to buy a good one. I picked out the Medela Pump in Style double pump. It was fantastic. She used it 4-5 times a day for the next 9 mo and we never had an ounce of problems with it. It is still in perfect shape. Sure it costs, but it was worth it for us.

Mrs. VR
07-07-2008, 06:29
you know...if you're only going to be needing it occasionally, some women become quite proficient in hand expressing their milk. It's a little more effort than just plug into a machine and sit there, but I was always able to get more that way, at least for a bit. If you know ahead of time you'll be going out, she could express a little a day for the week or two leading up to it and freeze it.

Pru
07-12-2008, 23:12
http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,42sn,00.html

http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/helpme_video_hand_expression.html

http://www.workandpump.com/handexpression.htm

MrsKitty
07-14-2008, 18:40
I know nothing about breast pumps but CONGRATULATIONS! :)

kcb
07-31-2008, 14:10
It's been a very long time since I had to use a breast pump. AND for all the new mommies out there, I PRAY that the breast pumps are 1000% better than they were when I needed one!

The electric one in the hospital did not work at all....But a lovely, "large", sweet nurse knew how to get the job done. :wow:

:faint: :rofl:

I'm POSITIVE that they are much better today!

Good luck!

:cool:

Shondratasha
08-05-2008, 22:10
Get the doctor to write a prescription for it and see if you can get the medical insurance company to cover it as durable medical equipment.