any ideas [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : any ideas

bigdollars
06-25-2008, 01:20
anyone have any ideas on a business with minimal start up costs?

windplex
06-25-2008, 01:25
what do you want to do?

subway was $35 grand and multiple sites were the norm after one was up and running. that is dirt cheap. it is a franchise of course and that is very diferent than a typical entrepreneural business.

Nakkie
06-25-2008, 15:27
Cleaning and Janitorial services have very minimal requirements as it's mostly service.

You would do well to be a local service that could meet businesses' needs if you could guarantee your employees performance. Once a business has several bad experiences with janitorial service employees they are looking for a more reliable source and the cost isn't as critical anymore. You'd have to personally vette and train the employees to weed out the rummies and thieves.

Your customers would be small or medium businesses who have had some (unsatisfactory) history with their previous janitorial businesses.

Your name should reflect the fact that your employees are bonded or something like Surety Janitorial or Bonded Cleaning....

Allman
06-25-2008, 19:03
With rising costs, personal pick up and delivery services for rural areas might be a coming business. I'm talking all the little stuff people living there have to drive into town for, taking both time and gas money, not the big shopping stuff they'd be making special trips for anyway. A sort of offshoot of local courier services.

I've been tossing this idea around for a few weeks, not really intending to try it but considering the possibilities high gas prices might be opening up, as I drive into mountainous regions 60 - 80 miles out from any sizable city and city stores on a regular basis.

The number of people living there is surprisingly large and the availability of city stores nil.

windplex
06-25-2008, 19:04
Cleaning and Janitorial services have very minimal requirements as it's mostly service.

You would do well to be a local service that could meet businesses' needs if you could guarantee your employees performance. Once a business has several bad experiences with janitorial service employees they are looking for a more reliable source and the cost isn't as critical anymore. You'd have to personally vette and train the employees to weed out the rummies and thieves.

Your customers would be small or medium businesses who have had some (unsatisfactory) history with their previous janitorial businesses.

Your name should reflect the fact that your employees are bonded or something like Surety Janitorial or Bonded Cleaning....

got a cousing in that line of work and doing well at it

gotta agree about vetting and potential pitfalls but therein lies opportunity.

bigdollars
06-25-2008, 21:58

Funny you suggest that. I have owned one since 1999. lol

I was looking to get out because it is not the same as it was.

There are a lot of competition hiring illegal aliens and therefore able to lower their rates...something I am not willing to do.

There really is no good help out there. So many times I have held Job Fairs, hired people, trained them, and they quit once the training is over. I guess they are just looking for the easy dollar and once it comes time to perform, they rather go back to unemployment.

Also there is a huge number of companies going with "management companies". a management company is a way for big business to take over small business. They contact companies and tell them if they go through them, the company will only bill them twice per year...something a smaller company like myself can not keep up with. They also promise to offer the current contractor the oportunity to still do the work in the store. What they don't say is that the offer will be at 50% the original contract rate.

I still is a decent line of work...just not what it used to be. That is every industry I suppose. I am glad to still be working. Most manufacturing and call center workers can not say the same since their jobs are in India and China right now.

Maybe I will start to use my real estate license more. :rofl::faint:
Oh yea I almost forget...the worst market since Jimmy Carter.:whistling:

Nakkie
06-25-2008, 23:21
Funny you suggest that. I have owned one since 1999. lol
lol. Sorry, unintentional. I know it's nigh on impossible to get good employees. I am an investor and have divested myself of nearly every business I have in the last few years, partly because of the difficulties with employees. Take heart in the fact that some of us will pay for a good, secure janitorial service. We specifically require that the employees be legal, as well. The "management" scheme you mention is just another sign of corruption and that things are going to hell. Most of them self-destruct without too much fanfare.

Got a Real Estate license, huh? As a business owner, you're probably better organized than most. How about REO management? Most outfits are exploding at the seams right now with work and, like you mentioned, good employees are hard to find. You could get hooked up with a good one and learn the business for a while until the surplus of listings wears off and then maybe strike out on your own if you like it. Be looking for some good trustworthy investors you can move the listings to quickly.

bigdollars
06-26-2008, 03:38
lol. Sorry, unintentional. I know it's nigh on impossible to get good employees. I am an investor and have divested myself of nearly every business I have in the last few years, partly because of the difficulties with employees. Take heart in the fact that some of us will pay for a good, secure janitorial service. We specifically require that the employees be legal, as well. The "management" scheme you mention is just another sign of corruption and that things are going to hell. Most of them self-destruct without too much fanfare.

Got a Real Estate license, huh? As a business owner, you're probably better organized than most. How about REO management? Most outfits are exploding at the seams right now with work and, like you mentioned, good employees are hard to find. You could get hooked up with a good one and learn the business for a while until the surplus of listings wears off and then maybe strike out on your own if you like it. Be looking for some good trustworthy investors you can move the listings to quickly.

thank you for the advise my friend. it will be put to good use. :cheers::yourock:

nightwolf1974
06-26-2008, 20:08
i'm thinking of starting security business with an ex-military friend of my sister. or applying for a gov't grant to start a pizza place.

Ender
06-27-2008, 23:43
Lawn and Pool services can be started up for minimal cost. With some hard work and dedication, they can be turned into very lucrative businesses. With something like that, it is all about the owner's drive (imo).

Deanster
06-30-2008, 14:39
Lawn/landscaping, 'green' exterminator, doing marketing services for local companies (dropping off door hangar coupon cards), graphic designer (a good computer is awfully cheap these days), accounting services, recruiting for small/medium businesses, etc., all require minimum investment.

What they all DO require is a set of customers who are willing to buy your services. That's the hard part.

windplex
06-30-2008, 15:13
Beni Hana (sp?) got his start with a hot-dog cart selling in harlem -- chose the location because the lack of competition.

BigFatDog
06-30-2008, 15:38
start a pizza place.

I've got a friend who bought a pizza business. It was pretty well mismanaged. I convinced him to put fresh baked cookies on the menu. A dozen cookies baked so that they join together fit really well into a Pizza box.

He was doing quite well with fairly equal cookie & pizza sales. Usually one or the other got him in the door and they started buying both. I always thought the the standing Office orders for 3 O'clock afternoon cookies were pretty funny.

Then a DIVORCE came along and derailed him.

G30MI
07-09-2008, 19:40
Here's an idea that I've been chewing on for a while:

I HATE having to make arrangements for spring clean-up, summer lawn care, fall leaf clean-up and winter snow removal. I would PAY someone to be like my property manager and make all of those arrangements for me. My biggest issue is remembering to do it. I don't generally get a snow removal contract until AFTER the first heavy snowfall. I'd love it if someone would just do it for me in October when it really should be done. Develop relationships with decent lawn care & snow removal companies and I'll bet you could make a bundle. Either charge a flat monthly fee (I'd be wiling to pay an extra $30-$50/month on top of the cost of the services) or markup the service provider's invoice.

sonofsarge
07-27-2008, 10:24
I started a firearms training business last year. Primarily teach NRA pistol, concealed carry, and metallic cartidge reloading. Made a classroom in my basement and use a conservation range. Start up costs were under $1,000, not including the firearms that I furnish. $1500-$2000 week profit, plus tax deductions.

bigdollars
07-27-2008, 11:43
some good ideas to think about

thanks people