Publishing Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Publishing Questions

evomx5
06-25-2008, 05:13
Hello, fellow writers.

I'm about halfway through writing my first book - fiction...about 140 pages, so far. I'm basically a poet but had a poem that someone suggested should be expanded into a book so I took the plunge.

What I'm wondering about is the publishing process.

*Did anyone use a literary agent?
*How hard is it for a first time author to get published?
*How did you guys go about getting your first one published?
*Does anyone know anything about Tate Publishing? A Christian based company that specializes in new authors and gives 40% profits to the author.
*How long does it take, once you're accepted, to get the book printed and in the stores?

Any comments are most welcome.

Thanks...Michael

Scarecrow28
06-25-2008, 10:21
If you can afford one, a literary agent would be very helpful. Finding a publisher by yourself can be quiet difficult.

It is fairly difficult for a newcoming author to be published. One on my suggestions would be to write a short story and get that published in a literary magazine, which could offer some exposure.

In response to your question about Tate, you may want to pm Sgt. Rambo. His first novel CROSSING THE LINE was published with them and the sequel is going to be as well. As far as I know, he enjoyed his experience with them.

evomx5
06-25-2008, 10:48
Thanks, Scarecrow.
I appreciate the info. Never thought about a short story.
I thought an agent might be a good idea, but don't know what they charge. Something I'll have to investigate, I suppose.
I had come across Tate Publishing on the poetry site I use and checked them out. I'll ask Sgt. Rambo about it.

Thanks again....

Scarecrow28
06-25-2008, 10:58
No problem :supergrin: It's always a pleasure to help out a fellow writer.

Sgt. Rambo
06-25-2008, 15:40
Hello, fellow writers.

I'm about halfway through writing my first book - fiction...about 140 pages, so far. I'm basically a poet but had a poem that someone suggested should be expanded into a book so I took the plunge.

What I'm wondering about is the publishing process.

*Did anyone use a literary agent?
*How hard is it for a first time author to get published?
*How did you guys go about getting your first one published?
*Does anyone know anything about Tate Publishing? A Christian based company that specializes in new authors and gives 40% profits to the author.
*How long does it take, once you're accepted, to get the book printed and in the stores?

Any comments are most welcome.

Thanks...Michael

HEY Michael.... welcome, keep writing, and don't quit. The guys and gals on this board are a great resource. I sent you a PM, keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

evomx5
06-25-2008, 18:50
Thanks, Sgt. Rambo. I appreciate your encouragement. I have sent you an e-mail to yahoo.

Michael