Charbroil Infra Red [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Charbroil Infra Red

button man
06-25-2008, 17:34
I don't want to ignite a debate of gas vs charcoal because I use both, but I need to replace my gas grill and was looking at the new Charbroil Infra Red. The first big downside is that it is an exclusive for Home Depot so there's no chance of being able to talk to a knowedglable sales person.
I like the temperature range and the ability to clean with very high temps but I wonder if the thing will give anything like a barbeque flavor. It almost seems like when my neighbor covered his cooking grates with foil and then complained that nothing tasted like it had been barbequed. Anybody have one of these yet or at least know anything about them?

Garweh
06-26-2008, 07:58
Have been looking at this grill. Spent time on boards doing research and spent lots of time at Home Depot looking at the "Red". These grills are cheaply made with 400 series stainless. The Charbroil Red grills I saw at Home Depot seemed cheap and flimsy compared to the Webers. There is also some debate over the durability of the porcelain-coated "U" heat chamber. See here for a review: http://bbq.about.com/od/charbroilgasgrillreview/gr/aapr022408a.htm

I decided NOT to buy this grill because of the questions regarding durability and the fact that the warranty is only for 1 year.

I have decided to save the dollars and buy a Napoleon Prestige II series infrared grill. Twice the cost of the Charbroil, but with a lifetime warranty.

As far as taste goes, the infrared is excellent for getting a good sear on the outside of meats and is usually only used for a few minutes at the beginning of the cooking process. The food is finished over the regular burners at much lower temperature. The Napoleon infrared burner reaches 1800 degrees F! Flavor should be equivalent to any gas grill, but less than with charcoal.

ateamer
07-08-2008, 14:17
Char-Broil grills are junk. Spend more and buy a Weber of one of the high-end grills and you will be much happier.

K.C. Dia
07-15-2008, 15:25
My Vicking Grill has an infrared burner (they call it tru-sear). It is great for searing meat quickly. The only downside is that the heat is not very adjustable and only goes from high (extremely hot) to low (very hot). Cooking low and slow may be difficult. Maybe others have different experiences with infrared.