WTF License Plates [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WTF License Plates

BMH
06-26-2008, 05:24
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,371902,00.html

What the ...? DMV Offers 10,000 Replacement License Plates
Thursday, June 26, 2008

RALEIGH, N.C. Thanks to some text message-savvy grandchildren, North Carolina drivers whose license plates have the potentially offensive "WTF" letter combination can replace the tags for free.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Tuesday the state Division of Motor Vehicles has notified nearly 10,000 holders of license plates with the letter combination. Officials learned last year the common acronym stands for a vulgar phrase in e-mail and cell phone text messages.

But this week, the DMV officials got another surprise when they learned the same letters appeared on the agency's own Web site on a sample personalized plate.

"I can't believe it," DMV Commissioner Bill Gore said Monday when told about the online glitch. "Obviously, I didn't know it was there."

Officials are working to remove the sample plate.

The "WTF-5505" used on the Web site's sample plate was the first random letter combination available when DMV switched from blue- to red-lettered plates, officials said. DMV spokeswoman Marge Howell received a sample plate WTF-5506 to use as a prop for news stories about the switch.

A 60-year-old technology teacher from Fayetteville complained about the plate last July after her teenage grandchildren clued her in.

Slagged
06-26-2008, 09:10
absurd. i have TKO. does that promote violence?

Jazz5
06-26-2008, 13:48
I want a WTF plate.

Texas357
06-26-2008, 13:59
Reminds m of the article a while back when California told a guy he could no longer have his initials "JAP" on his plate because it was racist.

I'm gonna have to come up with some offensive numbers for them to ban next.

10-32
06-26-2008, 14:13
People really have nothing better to do with their time?
This is just plain stupid.

Slagged
06-26-2008, 15:10
the number 4 is unlucky. ban it immediately!!

nursetim
06-26-2008, 16:25
They ought to auction the returned plates off and give the proceeds to charity.

Quark
07-01-2008, 12:23
3M-TA3

Look at it in your rear view mirror.

Texas357
07-02-2008, 08:52
I think the most offensive license plate I ever saw was on a BMW Z3, colored 'IBM Blue'.
the plate read "NET BIZ". ((this was in 1999))

There should be no "excluded" letter/number combinations on license plates. States should have the choice of either: 1)Allowing custom plates, or 2)Requiring all plates to be random. We can't afford to let this nonsense take off, or else the insanity will blossom.

The states will have to come up with "dirty word lists," subject to public debate, and they will try to list every offensive acronym. "SS" could refer to SuperSport, Social Security, the Secret Service, or SchutzStaffel just as easily. Committees would be formed, sub-agencies will be created, massive amounts of money will be wasted, license plates will be harder to get (and will be replaced more and more frequently as the list of "bad acronyms" gets added to). More bureaucracy and more expense to prevent us from being exposed to potentially offensive material - when nothing can protect dirty minds with a neat trick of pattern recognition from being reminded of something silly. The fact is, any string of letters can be dirty somehow - it takes a mature mind not go out and look for it.

Glockdude1
07-02-2008, 10:43
3M-TA3

:rofl:

eddief4
07-02-2008, 21:34
3M-TA3

:rofl::whistling:

vafish
07-03-2008, 11:14
..... The fact is, any string of letters can be dirty somehow - it takes a mature mind not go out and look for it.

Sorry I don't qualify for that.

I enjoy making disgusting phrases out of license plates.

Like this one:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/photo004.jpg

She's probably from Kentucky, but that's not the way I took it. :rofl:

It would be real funny if she had a Jiffy Lube bumper sticker.

Glockdude1
07-03-2008, 12:16
Sorry I don't qualify for that.

I enjoy making disgusting phrases out of license plates.

Like this one:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/photo004.jpg

She's probably from Kentucky, but that's not the way I took it. :rofl:

It would be real funny if she had a Jiffy Lube bumper sticker.

Was she the "Butt" of the joke???

Texas357
07-06-2008, 16:48
What about the one I saw in Denver? Colorado plates on a black Suburban, read "OK2DV8".....???

eddief4
07-06-2008, 17:13

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

vafish
07-07-2008, 08:24

I don't know, maybe she just had a "Dry" sense of humor.