Suppressors [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suppressors

Reb 56
06-26-2008, 09:54
Mo. just passed bill allowing the manufacture,sale and civilian ownership of suppressors. I suppose the NFA rules still apply. Anyone know what hoops you'll have to jump thru to buy one?

srothman
06-26-2008, 19:20
Several.

First in Missouri to own a full auto, or now a silencer you must have an FFL. I would start there. You can get a C&R FFL, but you must have some type of FFL. The ATF will check any and all local ordinances about having a home base business (FFL). I would check local zoning and ordinances to see if you can have a home based FFL. You may get lucky and some times on the C&R they do not check with local government. If you are going to get a full FFL, you must have hours where you will be open to the public and the ATF will visit your business.

After that you will have to have the local cheif of police or sheriff sign off or your federal form. Depending on where you live they may not sign off on it.

It will probably end up costing about $400.00 to $500.00 in FFL liscense, transfer fee's, and federal tax stamp, plus the cost of the silencer.

I would suggest you find a class III dealer in your area and they can help you.

scottMO
06-26-2008, 19:55
The C&R is 30.00 and lasts 3 years. This is the way to go for NFA ownership in MO. A 9mm can will be next on my list...

scottMO

srothman
06-27-2008, 11:06
Yes, but he lists Fenton as his location. The Chief of Police of St. Louis County, which is where Fenton is, will not sign off on the form. He is going to have to try and figure out who he can get to sign.

It is best if he contact a local FFL, who handles silencers, and knows how to do it, if it can be done.

Reb 56
06-27-2008, 17:08
Yes, but he lists Fenton as his location. The Chief of Police of St. Louis County, which is where Fenton is, will not sign off on the form. He is going to have to try and figure out who he can get to sign.

It is best if he contact a local FFL, who handles silencers, and knows how to do it, if it can be done.

Just curious why the Chief of Police won't sign off if it's State law. Isn't St Louis county part of the state?

scottMO
06-27-2008, 20:11

Ahh...., that will slow you down a bit. I have not tried the trust/LLC route as I havent had too yet. I live in Jackson County (Kansas City) and they sign while I wait.

scottMO

Reb 56
06-28-2008, 16:16
Did anyone read the actual bill that was signed into law by the Gov.? Does Federal law trump State law? Very confusing States all have different laws on ccw. Yet on some issues the Feds set the rules.

srothman
06-29-2008, 18:41
The problem is not with the state law, you still have to follow the federal law. You still must have the federal form filled out for the federal tax stamp, and that includes the signature of the local Chief Law Enforcement Officer where you live. The federal form they sign is suppose to be that it is not illegal where you live, and there is no reason you should not own it.

A lot of local police chiefs see the form as "giving you permision" to buy and own an NFA item. They are worried how it will look if people find out the signed a "permision slip" for you to purchase a full auto, or now a silencer.

If they actually refuse in writing and say no, then you can go down the list to someone else. If they take the form and do nothing, not much you can do.

It depends where you live, and can be very political. I would suggest contacting a local class III dealer, and talking to them. They know what will work where, and what options you have if any.

If you want to send me an email I can suggest a couple of local dealers. I do not know who is in charge where you live, and if they will / won't sign.

At a minimum you are looking at $30.00 (C&R FFL), $200.00 (Federal Tax Stamp) , $100.00 (maybe as high as $200.00 for dealer transfer/ paperwork), and $250.00 - $750.00 for the silencer.

You can also form a trust / LLC, and avoid the signature. It can also be a lot more expensive because you must have a legal trust or corporation. It usually involves a lawyer, and must be registered with the state.

Once again I am not an expert, so I would contact someone who is. I have looked into doing it myself and am weighing out my choices right now.

Reb 56
06-30-2008, 18:21
In other words the law Gov. signed makes it a little easier to get a suppressor but not awhole lot. Seems hardly worth the effort or expense. Whats the big deal with suppressors just makes shooting easier on your ears. I can undrstand FA being highly regulated.

srothman
07-01-2008, 21:51
The new law just allows you to own them in Missouri. You still have to follow all of the Federal Laws. The only real odd thing is that Missouri requires you to have an FFL, for any NFA items.

I think one of the bing problems is Hollywood. Most people have never seen, shot, or heard a true silenced weapon. It is not what people think. Some people are worried what can be done with a silenced weapon.

The only reason I want one is to be able to protect my hearing when I shoot.

scottMO
07-01-2008, 22:54
This past sunday I got to demo some suppressors. I used a SWR on my SBR 9mm AR. I also got to shoot a HK MP5SD. Both 9mm's were a definate reduction in noise, but the quiet cans were the .22 cans. I shot one on a walther p22? and another on a "pen gun". Both were extremely quiet. I definately see a .22 can in my future, as well as a .22 host.

MP5SD:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc223/johncarter31/crossfire/100_1772.jpg

Pen gun:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc223/johncarter31/crossfire/100_1783.jpg

FA Uzi w/can:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc223/johncarter31/crossfire/100_1779.jpg

scottMO

Hi Ball
07-18-2009, 07:28
Now when I inquired about suppressors, the ATF & FBI told me they want to see that your a legit business and making money. I did a little pencil work and figured out it was far to expensive to even get interested in having an FFL period.

scottMO
07-18-2009, 07:37
Now when I inquired about suppressors, the ATF & FBI told me they want to see that your a legit business and making money. I did a little pencil work and figured out it was far to expensive to even get interested in having an FFL period.

You were advised incorrectly. That would be the case if you were wanting to start a business FFL w/a shop/storefront, etc. All you need in MO, to start the process, is a C&R lic. A C&R is not a "business" FFL to make money, but a "Collectors" type of FFL. You will not make money. Infact you will spend quite a bit...

The process for getting a SBR, MG, Suppressor, etc are all the same forms. It's all just forms, time and $.

More info here: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=489 (http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=489)