What's Yer Idea Of A Good Semi-Auto Hunting Rifle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's Yer Idea Of A Good Semi-Auto Hunting Rifle?

Glock&KimberLady
07-07-2002, 00:10
Hubby has got the itch - ;g - and is looking for a good semi-auto hunting rifle - i.e., similar to the Mini-14 but in a larger gauge (no bolt-actions, etc.)

Seeing as you all LOVE to give advice, I figure this will be another patented "Glock&KimberLady WON'T DIE" thread. ;N

forthehalibut
07-07-2002, 00:19
Why won't this thread ever die??;e

Have you looked into a Mini-30? M1 Garands are supposed to be really good, too.:)

HAVOC
07-07-2002, 00:19
Well aside from a .308 battle rifle like an FAL or AR-10, the selection is kinda limited.

Remington (http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/7400wd.htm) still makes the 7400 in various trims and calibers. The one I have in .243 is a horrible shooter, but if it's an upgrade from a Mini-14, probably never notice...

The only other big bore self loader I can think of is the Browning BAR. (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/bar/bar.htm) I've never even held one, but I've heard they are better shooters than the Remington. They are also pretty heavy.

I guess if you're hunting close, a Ruger Deerfield Carbine (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/rfcenterfire_auto.html) counts as a hunting rifle. The original version was discontinued because of durability issues, and I have't heard about the new one yet. It's also going to be limited to about 150yds. tops. What and where is he looking to hunt?

sailfish
07-07-2002, 00:21
Since you think the USP is ugly, maybe this has a bit more sex appeal:

http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/pages/civilian/images/slb2k.gif

HK SLB2000, chambered in 30-06 with optional .308 barrel. Only costs 2 mortgage payments.

rfb45colt
07-07-2002, 00:33
What's he going to hunt?, not that it matters.
There's 3 that come to mind instantly... Remington 7400, Browning BAR (pricey), and the Ruger .44MAG carbine. I've got a Remington in .308 with the 18" carbine barrel. It's surprisingly accurate for a semi-auto as far as I'm concerned. 1 1/2 - 2" groups at 100 yards (with a peep sight, no scope) are the norm. More than adequate for deer hunting where I live. But... I've heard others claim the accuracy sucks on theirs (but I wonder if it's the gun, the ammo, or the shooter that sucks).

The Brownings are great guns, and come in magnum calibers. The reason I prefer the Remington... it's lighter, it's cheaper but still good quality, magazine swaps are much quicker, magazines are also much cheaper, and you can get 10 rounders quite easily... just in case it's needed for something other than hunting. ;f

If money is not a concern, and you're willing to part with at least $1,500, you can't beat a Springfield M1A. ;f

SteyrAUG
07-07-2002, 00:37
But of course the Steyr AUG.

.45Ranger
07-07-2002, 00:47
Not very experienced at all but here's my .02$ worth.

Browning makes it's BAR in just about any caliber Mr. G&KL might be interested in From .243 , .270, 308, 30-06, on and on for A suggested retail starting at $809 and going up but I have seen them in one store starting at $650.

Similar to the Mini-14 suggests the Mini-30 in 7.62x39 (basically a 308 NATO I understand)

Remington's 7400 model is about the same for caliber choice (a little more limited) as Browning. Suggested retail starts at $520.

Trying to look into a Browning or a Remington myself and I definitely want a Ruger Mini-30 before they are banned. Those are so customizable they can be made to look like an assault rifle. A great way to piss off any gun hating nazis that manage to get into your home and see it.;f ;N Like I said, my two cents worth, take it or leave it.;c

rfb45colt
07-07-2002, 00:49
Originally posted by SteyrAUG
But of course the Steyr AUG.

Just curious... do they make a left-handed version?

If I shot that thing, I'd be digging the brass out of my ear. ;P

brass308
07-07-2002, 00:54
Humm, so we want something like a mini-14, but in a larger caliber. That sounds a lot like this old gun I heard of called the M-14. Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like just the thing he'd be wanting.

Now my personal fav. is the Walther WA2000

rfb45colt
07-07-2002, 00:58
[QUOTE]Originally posted by .45Ranger

Similar to the Mini-14 suggests the Mini-30 in 7.62x39 (basically a 308 NATO I understand)

Not really the same. 7.62x39 is similar to the .30-30 ballistically, but it's not up to par with the .308. The "original" mini-30, called the "XGI" was to be in .308... but there were problems along the line somewhere, and it was never released. This was back in the late 80s.

... and I definitely want a Ruger Mini-30 before they are banned.

Huh? Did I miss something? Who's talking about "banning" mini-30s?

FLIPPER 348
07-07-2002, 01:02
for small 30-30 sized game a nice full lenght Russian or Chinese threaded barrel SKS.
get a full length hunting stock, RECIEVER mounted Weaver rail, 5 round fixed mag>>remove the front sight post and the other crap up front and you will have one of the finest semi-auto hunting rifles around!!.....for the caliber at least. Inexpensive too

not much in the 'looks' dept though

FLIPPER 348
07-07-2002, 01:02
Originally posted by rfb45colt

don't know about a 'post-ban' AUG (never seen one) but a real AUG can be converted from right to left hand by installng the bolt in either position and moving a 'blanking plate/dust cover' to the opposite side.

I had one back in the day and while I found it had high points in the 'ohh-ahh' factor, I did not like the way it shot

chevrofreak
07-07-2002, 02:43
http://www.biggerhammer.net/stoner/

http://www.snipercentral.com/sr25.htm

http://www.impactguns.com/store/knights_sr25_mkllmod0.html

can you see which way i'm leaning? ;f

.308 (7.62x51) is hard to beat. extremely accurate, and has great killing power.

other options are an M60 ;f

.45Ranger
07-07-2002, 03:10

Not really the same. 7.62x39 is similar to the .30-30 ballistically, but it's not up to par with the .308. The "original" mini-30, called the "XGI" was to be in .308... but there were problems along the line somewhere, and it was never released. This was back in the late 80s.

... and I definitely want a Ruger Mini-30 before they are banned.

Huh? Did I miss something? Who's talking about "banning" mini-30s? [/B]

Ok i was mistaken might have been something else about the 7.62x39 being the same as a 308. As far as the banning of mini-30's it's only a matter of time before the "they look like an assault rifle so it must be an assualt rifle" gun grabbing crowd of air-headed fools get to them. Besides that every time I see one the seems to have gone up. Then again I keep looking at the price on a lot of stuff so I could have been mistaken there too. Cheers.;c

trapfan
07-07-2002, 03:53
If your pockets are deep....I would get a Springfield M1A with a fiber syn. stock. in .308 cal. When proper bullets are used you can press this rifle in to a great hunting weapon on big game. He could put a Brookfield precision scope mount on it with a good Leupold 3.5X10 VeriX III and it will serve him well. This is the basic setup I have and it has taken a few Whitetail deer and many varmits. Pull the scope and mount off and he can shoot service rifle comp. with the same rifle...JMTCW;)

m65swede
07-07-2002, 04:05
I have two that qualify. One is a Remington 7400; mine is in .270 Win and is MagNaPorted. The other is a Browning BAR in .30-06. Both of these rifles were set up for hunting whitetail deer in the brush and thickets of the Northeastern US. Each is fitted with a 1.5x5 variable power scope.

Both of them shoot accurately enough. The Rem is a little loud, but the barrel barely jumps at the shot; follow-up shots are quick! The BAR is easily the softest shooting 30-06 I have ever fired. The Rem is about $100 or so cheaper than the Browning; the Browning has a wider selection of calibers including magnum calibers.

I also have M1 Garands and various other military style semi-autos, but don't truly consider them to be "hunting" rifles.

Good luck with your choice! :)

Swede

Hailstorm
07-07-2002, 06:58
Barret 50Cal.;a

exmdshooter
07-07-2002, 07:00
Hey GKL;

As some others have ponted out - a lot depends on what he wants to hunt. 7.62x39 is quite adequate for much North American game, which reminds me... did you ever make it to the range with that SKS you picked up... for him? If you did, and posted an eval, I must have missed it. Lots of folks hunt with these - scoped they can be sufficiently accurate out past 100 yards or so (about the max you'd ever need in this here eastern part of the US).

Finally got mine (a '54 Russian) the other week. Been cleaning (and fondling) it but haven't made it out to the range as of yet. Can't wait - she's a beaut.

Of course, if the motivation is to pick up another gun... well, that's always a good reason :cool:

chevrofreak
07-07-2002, 08:56
Originally posted by mdshooter
As some others have ponted out - a lot depends on what he wants to hunt. 7.62x39 is quite adequate for much North American game

i havent seen many hollow points in 7.62x39, but if you can find some it would probably be adequate to drop a deer to 200 yards.

i would still rather use a .308 winchester (7.62x51NATO) they have more inherent accuracy, and more velocity.

.308 winchester is just as powerful as .30-06 since they have nearly the same charges, and bullet design/weight.

just ask the S.W.A.T. snipers.

SteyrAUG
07-07-2002, 10:41

Actually yes. The AUG has ejection ports on both sides and the unused one is covered. You simply change the cover and instal a left hand eject bolt head.

Dave S
07-07-2002, 11:43
http://www.armalite.com/

The AR-10A4(standard grade @ $1200 NIB) has a rep for outshooting the M1A NM right out of the box. It will come with two (2) ten round mags and a ton of fun.

Dave S

Yeah, I do own a few 10s, myself.

glockshootist
07-07-2002, 12:38
Don't know what you can and cannot own in CA, but I have always wanted a scoped FAL...Hubby might be interested in it.

FAL (http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/images/fal-left-full.jpg)

quantico
07-07-2002, 13:31
It would be either a springfield M1A or the FAL... both in 308 and both suited for hunting or as a defensive rifle.

G31
07-07-2002, 17:26
Get an HK 91 with a bunch of 20-round mags. A registered sear and full-auto trigger pack would be a good add-on as well when hunting wild boars.

WolfmanGK
07-07-2002, 17:56
FN/ FAL

FAL shootist
07-07-2002, 18:18
1. FAL
2. Browning
3. Remington

The Remington and Browning offer a large variety of calibers but the FAL is a 308 and that will do everything you need it to in North America and most other continents. However, the Browning and Remington are both more PC looking than the FAL and can go places the FAL can't.

CavVet
07-07-2002, 18:24
Throw my FAL vote on the pile please....;f

With a nice full size ACOG on it....;P

Honey, I would buy you the moon for that gift of love...My itch would be scratched, and you would get another diamond... ;a

micah
07-07-2002, 18:32
M1As are cool.
Why does he want a semi for hunting?

Jack T.
07-07-2002, 18:37
My wife also wants another hunting rifle. And she wants a semi-auto. AND she wants one that looks like a hunting rifle, not an "army gun" ;Q

SteyrAUG
07-07-2002, 18:55
Originally posted by CavVet
Throw my FAL vote on the pile please....;f

With a nice full size ACOG on it....;P

Honey, I would buy you the moon for that gift of love...My itch would be scratched, and you would get another diamond... ;a

Don't listen to CavVet, he's a Martian. ;f

sharpshooter
07-07-2002, 20:56
A nice bolt action would be better suited for hunting due to it's accuracy. Why does he want a semi to hunt?

quantico
07-07-2002, 21:01
I guess you never know when it's time to switch from hunting creatures to two legged vermin.... for that the M1A and FAL are also well suited.

Glock&KimberLady
07-07-2002, 21:15
gemplemums:

Remember that I live in the Occupied Territories of Southern Kalifornia...which means that nearly all centerfire, magazine-fed rifles are verboten for me.

Hubby is currently looking at Springfield M1As...which, unfortunately, are on "allocation", which means Springfield keeps a tight control over how many are shipped out.

Since the M1A is currently one of the few legal mag-fed rifles LEFT that you can buy in Kalifornia (excepting those that are older, such as SKS), there is naturally a high demand for them here...and a correspondingly high price tag. While the MSRP is roughly $1400, I imagine they probably book for $1600 or so in Kali. I hate this state. ;t

I don't believe the FN FAL is legal in Kalifornia any more.

GlockM23
07-07-2002, 21:25
Compare total price.

.308 almost a dollar a boom
7.62x39 a few cents a boom.

Go out with a SAR-1, $300, slap a scope on it, grab a 40 round clip, and go hunt some deer!!! :)

Deadeye
07-07-2002, 21:25
There were many hunting rifles that came and went with this deer hunter, the last being a REM 7400 in .270 which I used for a trade to take some of the sting out of the price of my Springfield MIA. I am totally happy with .308
:)

GlockM23
07-07-2002, 21:27
Also, why is a bolt action always so inherently more accurate then a semi? If they have the same rifling and the same length barrel, wouldnt that be really all that mattered? Or does the energy spent ejecting the round and recycling the action hurt accuracy and velocity?

midnight
07-07-2002, 21:27
Originally posted by GlockM23

.308 almost a dollar a boom

Are you nuts?

GlockM23
07-07-2002, 21:48
Originally posted by midnight

Are you nuts?

I don't know, I might very well be.

http://natchezss.com/ammo/rifle/ra308win.html

Over here they have it from 15-22 for a pack of 20.. so my limited math ability looks like this $20/20rds=1 per round. As an average. I did see 15 dollar boxes, so once again the nut math $15/20rds=.75 per 1 round.

Am i looking at the wrong place or wrong caliber?

Glock&KimberLady
07-07-2002, 22:32
Just checked out Springfield's site...

...and looked at the White Feather.

OH MY LORD!!!

;G

Figures that any rifle endorsed by Carlos Hathcock would be over FOUR THOUSAND FREAKIN' DOLLARS!

And I thought Steyrs were expensive. ;P

Glock&KimberLady
07-07-2002, 22:36
GlockM23:

It looks like the the rounds that are in the upper fifteen to twenty range are either match-grade or specialty rounds, i.e., "X rounds" or "Nosler Ballistic" rounds.

I guess this is more expensive because of more gunpowder, larger bullet...dunno, I know JACK about rifles except Mausers and SKS and even those I'm not too good about the ammo. I just point at the box and they give it to me. ;f

bustedknee
07-07-2002, 22:54
I was disappointed with my Mini-14 and wanted better quality in 308 so I could hunt with it. I hoped for the same size rifle.

After much searching I found the H&K SL7! A wonderful rifle built in the military style like the Mini-14.
http://www.hkpro.com/sl7.htm

Its fancy brother is the hunting rifle version of the SL7 and is called the 770.
http://www.hkpro.com/hk770.htm

Both of these use H&K's proven "91" type action but are installed in wooden stocks that do not offend the gun grabbers like the synthetic "assault rifles" do.

I hear that H&K has a new semi-auto hunting rifle on the market but I'm yet to see one.

I also own a couple of the old BARs and feel they are top quality.

G19-30
07-08-2002, 00:03
Another vote for the Armalite AR-10. And yes I have one too. Also the gun dealer that I bought it from in Virginia. Said that he has taken many deer and elk with his AR-10. The AR-10 is lighter than the M1, FAL, and H&k91. Also the recoil is very low. Also Armalite has the best customer service. They also have a full lifetime warranty. And the time I did have to use there warranty. It was great. 2.5 week turnaround and no cost to me. They even paid for the shipping. And the AR-10 is very accurate. Your husband will love you if you get him an AR-10. The most popular model is the AR-10A4. You can also get it in camo. The match grade is the AR-10T models. Go to :www.armalite.com

Sixgun357
07-08-2002, 02:23
I heard you cant use JHP in the AR-10. I could be wrong I have never shot one but thats what I read somewhere.

chevrofreak
07-08-2002, 02:45
i still like my suggestion, as the SR-25 is based off the AR-10 ;a

oldsmith
07-08-2002, 06:18
I'm a big fan of the M1 Garand and would like to hunt with mine. (I have two) I think it would make a great hunting rifle, but is a little heavy. It should be easy to get in Cali. You can get an adjustable gas plug (I don't have one yet) that would allow you to shoot just about any hunting load you want. Get it from the CMP for about $500 and you also have a real, G.I. weapon. Though not in new condition, mine are very-good to excellent. www.odcmp.com.

That said, I'm looking into a nice bolt action .30'06.

gwalchmai
07-08-2002, 06:27
I use a turnbolt and never could understand using an evil assault rifle for hunting non-humans. But like Arnold said "Diff'rent strokes"

I was deer hunting once and was surprised to hear a string of 30 rounds of quick semi-auto from behind a nearby hill. I don't know if the guy killed anything or not but he sure convinced me to leave.

Before I get flamed I should add that I DO beleive every citizen should be issued an M16 for militia use... ;)

jasonvp
07-08-2002, 07:19
Originally posted by chevrofreak i still like my suggestion, as the SR-25 is based off the AR-10

Actually, I think the AR-10 is based off of the SR-25, technically. ;-) In either case, I agree with Chevro; the SR-25 is going to be a difficult rifle to beat as far as accuracy goes. The problem is, as G&KL points out, California. I don't believe the Stoner/Knight's rifles are legal there. Grrr.

Sharpshooter, historically, bolt action rifles have indeed been more accurate than semis. But it's just not the case any longer. An accurized semi-automatic rifle such as one from Knight's (Stoner) will hold its own against just about any bolt you can throw at it. If the bolt action wins in accuracy, it'll only be by a small amount; not enough to make a difference when your accuracy needs to be Minute-of-Deer.

Hailstorm: a Barrett M82A would be mighty handy for making instant, one-shot venison stew. :-) That's just funny.

G&KL: Other than the SR-25s (or, more specifically, a Mk11 Mod 0.. :-)) I'm not sure what to suggest. What happened to moving to Colorado; did that fall through? I guess that's my suggestion: move. ;f (I jest, of course.)

As for the rifle rounds, yes, the "expensive" ones are typically match loads. Ultra accurate, nice, flat, predictable trajectory, and almost always done in hollow points. They just make for better match rounds. And, since they are hollow points, they'd probably make for excellent hunting rounds as well. *SPLAT*

jas

CavVet
07-08-2002, 07:27
Kalifornia Legal FAL Available Here (http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=SA58T4820&storeid=1&image=sa58t48.gif)

;a

chevrofreak
07-08-2002, 07:29
ok so i dont know when they were designed, but i do know the SR-25 is awesome ;a

just kinda assumed it was the SR-25 off the AR-10 since the AR-10 has been around since the 60's or 70's

fnfalman
07-08-2002, 07:32
With all the great bolt action rifles running around, why would one "try" to find a semiauto rifle that has acceptable weight to oomph ratio, not to mention accuracy standards, for hunting?

There's a difference between picking a semiauto rifle that "does it all" and finding a rifle strictly for hunting.

Why would one try to pack a ten pounds .308 semiauto rifle for hunting when a seven pounds bolt action does the same job if not better?

jasonvp
07-08-2002, 08:20
Originally posted by chevrofreak
but i do know the SR-25 is awesome

That it is. Specially in Mk11 Mod 0 trim. :-)

just kinda assumed it was the SR-25 off the AR-10 since the AR-10 has been around since the 60's or 70's

If that's the case, then the AR-10 may very well have been around longer. Stoner designed the SR-25 with Reed Knight's help back in the 80s, I think. I was under the impression that he was more interested in basing it off of the M-16 than any AR-10, but I might be mistaken.

In either case, it's a hell of a rifle.

jas

Jeff OTMG
07-08-2002, 09:32
FN 49 in .30-06

G31
07-08-2002, 09:58
You could also get a Browning BAR. I'm not talking about the old BAR used by the military, although that would be perfect, I mean the PC hunting BAR currently produced in various calibers.

midnight
07-08-2002, 13:17
Originally posted by GlockM23

Am i looking at the wrong place or wrong caliber?

You're looking in the wrong place. Yes, you can find .308 ammo that costs that much, but as G&KL said, its specialty or match ammo. Try Wal-Mart. Winchester's USA loading is affordable in all cailbers. Try www.dansammo.com, where I just ordered South African surplus .308 for 12 cents/round. I don't even think match ammo is available for 7.62x39. You gotta compare apples to apples.

BTW, the 12c/round price is a special he has going on, its not listed at that price on the web site. The web site lists it for about 14c/round IIRC.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-08-2002, 13:22
Originally posted by fnfalman
With all the great bolt action rifles running around, why would one "try" to find a semiauto rifle that has acceptable weight to oomph ratio, not to mention accuracy standards, for hunting?

Me for example (please look at my post in the rimfire section) is looking for a "hunting" rifle that is more of a crap-a-wild-animal-is-attacking-the-sheep rifle. So, expecting a ruckus, I want a lot of fast follow-up shots in case the first shot is not a good one.

And my wife isn't very good operating a bolt action, so it is perhaps even more of an issue for her.

micah
07-08-2002, 18:11
Certainly..I don't really get your post..
"Those who will settle for nothing but a bolt action will settle for a muzzleloader, then a bow, then for golf instead of hunting."
I use bows, bolt guns, single shots, muzzle loaders and handguns for hunting. Am I somehow at risk of becoming a golfer?
Also, do note that people have fought, and continue to fight quite succesfully with bolt guns.
Another also, I don't shoot at large game, I shoot at the large game's heart. 1.5 MOA will not always do. Also, I get every last foot pound of energy out of my single shot and bolt guns, nothing lost to inefficiency.
Nothin' wrong with a good auto, just don't "sell out" the bolt guns, they're not without their merits. Regards.

chevrofreak
07-08-2002, 23:49
micah, i believe that Certainly was refering to the common statements like "you dont need an AR-15 to hunt"

while not everyone uses them, some do.

the gun grabbers know that few do, so they think that they can ban those guns without that much of a fuss (look at california) if it keeps going like that we'll be left to hunt our deer with a sharpened spoon and a rock.

10mmGuy
07-11-2002, 17:42
Best semi-auto hunting rifle? Hmmm guess my favorite is my G20. It's scary how accurate that thing is!

9x45
07-12-2002, 15:56
Why is having a semi-auto rifle the main selection criteria? The best hunting calibers and hunting ammo are made for bolt rifles. 7.62x39 is not a hunting round.

MrMurphy
07-12-2002, 16:17
There are semiautos chambered in .270, .308, .30-06, .243, etc.

kilroy2721
07-12-2002, 20:29
I use a M1 Garand. In .308 and because some states have limits on how many rounds you can have in your magazine there are a lot of places that make 1, 2, 5 or the full 8 rd. magazines. It is a heavy gun to carry and not to easy to have a scope mounted on it... but it is possible. I shoot with open sights and anything out to 200 yds. is mine. The Springfield M1A is also a good choice.

Aimless
07-15-2002, 23:43
Originally posted by 9x45
Why is having a semi-auto rifle the main selection criteria? The best hunting calibers and hunting ammo are made for bolt rifles. 7.62x39 is not a hunting round. 7.62x39 is an adequate whitetail round and is available from Remington and others soft nosed jacketed hunting rounds. Semi auto rifles designed primarily for hunting, like the Browning BAR are available in the same calibers as bolt guns-270, 30-06 308 (30-06 & 308 are among the most popular "hunting" rounds and obviously have quiet a bit of military history)

The Browning BAR is probably one of the better semi auto hunting rifles & what I would suggest for someone who wanted a semi hunting rifle. I know a few people who are not in love w/ the Remington 7400 (and some love 'em)-altho you can also trick them out into a pretty impressive make**** fighting gun.

Obviously you can hunt w/308 hunting military style rifle-an M1a will do the job if you want to lug it around. I've hunted on occaission w/an HK 91, also. An Armalite AR10 would also do the job but I would assume is not CA okay

An AR15 will take whitetail if you know what you are doing, but I don't like 223 for hunting big game.

A Garand would be a less expensive and probably CA legal choice, but scope mounting is a pain.

The mini 30 is an okay short range gun but they are often not exactly tack drivers. I also find the rattling of the charging handle annoying. I have had to hold my hand over it in the woods to keep the damn thing quiet.

For most hunting I think a Remington model 700 would probably be a better choice.

9x45
07-16-2002, 20:33
Aim, I didn't say the 7.62x39 wasn't adequate, I said it wasn't designed as a hunting round. It was based on the WWII Russian belief that most rifle firefights are between 150-200 yards and not 600 yards. So thats how the 39 was hatched. The round is light, reasonably accurate and clearly effective on 2 legged predators, especially when served as multiples.

I have taken deer with a 40S&W caliber, but do not recommend it.
Hunting with the 30-06, and all the wildcats from it, is based on the lowcost surplus rifles available after the wars.

Try lugging an M-14 or AR-10 around for hours in rough country. My personal recommendation for deer in California is any good quality bolt gun in .243 Win with a nice piece of 4x glass. Plastic stocks and stainless hardware are just a bonus.

Aimless
07-16-2002, 21:05
Originally posted by 9x45
. My personal recommendation for deer in California is any good quality bolt gun in .243 Win with a nice piece of 4x glass. Plastic stocks and stainless hardware are just a bonus. I agree, although I'm not a big .243 fan, 270 maybe? 243 shoots nice and the few times I carried one I didn't get to try it out, but it just seems on the edge of being a little light. I prefer the Remington BDL in stainless w/ the synthetic stock. Although the Winchester safety is probably a better designed it's not what I am used to.

I've hunted w/ my HK & it can be kind of a pain, I agree that I can't see the point in hunting w/an M1a, though the scout model seems a little more interesting.

What load of 40 was that you were hunting with (I assume you were hunting, the only deer I have seen taken w/40 were-um-"shot while trying to escape")? Out of a glock or a revolver? I've shot a lot of 10, but have never fired a dedicated 40, I don't think. I guess some of the hotter 40's are reaching 10 level. Unfortunately too many 10s are being loaded downtowards 40.

Rob19
07-25-2002, 20:14
..another vote for the BAR. Get that gold inlay, while your at it..it's only money..stay safe and have fun, rdogout

hank_rearden
07-26-2002, 02:39
is there no other semi-auto than can handle 7mm rem and 300 win?

Aimless
07-26-2002, 14:05
Originally posted by hank_rearden
is there no other semi-auto than can handle 7mm rem and 300 win? I thought HK's SLB 2000 was supposed to be available in 300 win, but it's not listed on their website http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/pages/civilian/slb2kframeset.html

MHMcLaugh
07-29-2002, 22:22
The Browning BAR in .270 is my favorite deer hunting rifle. It is not only gorgeous, but also extremely accurate. You can add scopes to many of the military design semi autos, but they are not made for optics like the BAR is. The quality of the commercial scope mounts and rings for the BAR is much better than anything you will find that has been adapted for a military rifle. I have owned an SKS with an aftermarket scope mount welded onto the cover. It rattled so much that it could not hold a zero. I have owned an M1A(which is a superb battle rifle)with a 2nd generation Sprigfield scope mount, and the mount is so high that you need a cheek piece just to get proper eye alignment, otherwise, it feels like your chin is sitting on top of the butt stock. I have tried the SAR-1(AK in 7.62X39) with side mount rail and Russian optics. The PSO scope was horrible, and the rifle itself does not have the accuracy and velocity necessary to make shots out to 300 yards like a BAR can make.

I cannot comment on the Remington 7400 series semi autos as I have never owned or shot one. I do suppose that there is a reason that a used BAR will sell for $500 and a used Remington will sell for $275.

There is some recoil and muzzle jump from the BAR in .270, but it is much less than a similiar bolt action in .270. If you want very light recoil and a rifle capable of taking any Whitetail in the continental U.S., then go with the .243. My uncle shoots one of these and it handles deer quite nicely.

For Varmints I use my Colt Ar-15 model 6700 in .223. Flat top with 20" bbl using an armalite mount and Leupold Vari-X II 3X9 scope. This thing is a hog's worste nightmare. This is where the semi auto really shines. Many times, hogs come in to feed with a sow and several piglets. The AR gives me more quick shots for more game.

I would consider the Armalite in .308 as I believe they make an excellent weapon. The only problem is the price difference. In Texas, a brand new BAR goes for around $675 and an Armalite for about $1300.

Hope this helps.

This is my first post on Glock Talk, because I just found this site. I am looking for my first Glock and I am already learning a lot about these pistols frmo the good people here.

-Thanks,

Matthew

RenegadeGlocker
07-29-2002, 22:29
BAR

Short Cut
08-06-2002, 17:59
Originally posted by MHMcLaugh
This is my first post on Glock Talk

Welcome to town! :) I really enjoyed your first post regarding your BAR .270, that is a sweet sounding rifle, thanks.

08-06-2002, 19:03
Purely hunting? Get yourself a Bar if you like pretty guns, an SL7 if you like ugly ones or a Remington if you cannot afford the others. Caliber? .308 of course. You will never run out of things it will kill on this continent and think of the surplus plinking ammo. I have a BLR in .308 and can vouch for the quality and craftsmanship Browning puts into their guns.

SteelGuitar
08-08-2002, 13:12
Dragunov in 7.62x54 is my choice. works perfect.

TScottW99
08-08-2002, 14:06
my vote goes to the AR-10 also. The .308 is a great round for deer and black bear size game. Also the AR-10 has been around since the 50's not the 60's or 70's.

riverrat
08-13-2002, 20:31
Since he wants a semi-auto for hunting:

1. Browning BAR. Available from .243 to .338. Upside - accurate, currently produced, reliable, durable. Downside - a little heavy.

2. Winchester model 100, (pre-64 if you are a purist). Available .243, .284, .308, .358[very rare], Upside - great "feel" and "pointablity". Downside - not currently produced, need to make sure the firing pin has been upgraded.

3. Remington. Upside - available, currently produced, cheap. Downside - least accurate, least reliable, on average, of the threesome.