cleaning stainless band [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : cleaning stainless band

ktx
06-26-2008, 16:26
I've noticed the stainless band on my Bulova Marine Star is looking a little dull. I'm considering automotive stainless polish and the soft white buffing Dremel wheel. Anybody tried this? Thanks!

California Jack
06-26-2008, 19:47
Never heard of that before. Please post you results if you give it a go.

AdobeGlock
06-26-2008, 20:02
IF IT IS BRUSHED STAINLESS-use a wet Scotch cleaning pad (the green nylon type) for dishes to lightly buff and renew to original look of the band. If there are scratches, use the pad gently brushing the band avoiding any metal parts that are shiny. DO NOT USE A BACK AND FORTH MOTION. Go in either direction with your gentle brushing of the band, but only one direction. Slow and easy does it. I works really well.

RyanSBHF
06-27-2008, 18:44
3M sandpaper also works.

USMCsilver
06-29-2008, 09:26
Cape Cod cloth. Accept no other form of cleaning/polishing.

ktx
06-29-2008, 11:23
I just saw USMC's post, but cleaned my watch band yesterday. It looks much better. I used a product called Mr. Metal, in a white plastic squeeze bottle. My band has both shiny and dull parts, so I couldn't just use an abrasive. This is a non-abrasive product and just some light rubbing seems to have brightened the whole band and evened out the colors quite well. I went ahead and did the same treatment to my brother's and dad's watches.

I'm not quite sure how this worked, but it looks way better.

You'll have to excuse me now, I'm going to Mr. Metal my car's exhaust tips. :supergrin:

ETA: I tested the Dremel white buffing bit in a few spots, it doesn't really do much. Probably because of the non-abrasive nature of the stuff I used. If you decide to try a Dremel, I would use it cautiously because of the heat generated. Using it on the band is probably OK, but not the best idea on the watch case/backing.

USMCsilver
06-29-2008, 13:20
A Dremel and polishing brush isn't a good idea. It'll leave "swirl marks" all over the place. If you must buff with a menchanical device, my suggestion is a bench mounted buffer. This way, you start at one spot, and end at another. A steady swipe is much better than many swipes w/ a Dremel.