Need to get taller gearing.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need to get taller gearing....

PBCounty
06-27-2008, 03:44
Hi there,

I've got a Suzuki DR200 (I know, not a "real" motorcyle) which I enjoy for trail riding and enjoy it's street legality as a dual-sport.

Gas prices have caused me to consider this recreational bike as a daily work commuter - however the gearing is a bit low for some of the surface streets I will need to follow.

Where can I find a source for a taller fifth gear? Should I just change the rear sprocket? What's the advice for making this thing less low-end power and more higher-end speed?

whogasak47
06-27-2008, 04:26
Change 1 tooth on the countershaft(larger) its easier,cheaper to change too.

ex. go from a 14 tooth to a 15

good luck and ride safe

Rikki
06-27-2008, 07:00
Try "thumpertalk.com"...bet they can give you all the dope on the gearswap

fnfalman
06-27-2008, 07:47
Change 1 tooth on the countershaft(larger) its easier,cheaper to change too.

ex. go from a 14 tooth to a 15

good luck and ride safe

Yep. It's cheaper and easier to do the front (counter) sprocket first.

GixxerSixxer
06-27-2008, 21:34
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0008_gearing/index.html

Article is written for sportbikes but the concept is the same. You'll just want to do the opposite and have the bike geared taller so the gear ratio (rear/front) is lower.

PBCounty
06-28-2008, 20:17
Thanks everyone.

popnfresh
06-28-2008, 22:19
Hi there,

I've got a Suzuki DR200 (I know, not a "real" motorcyle) which I enjoy for trail riding and enjoy it's street legality as a dual-sport.

Gas prices have caused me to consider this recreational bike as a daily work commuter - however the gearing is a bit low for some of the surface streets I will need to follow.

Where can I find a source for a taller fifth gear? Should I just change the rear sprocket? What's the advice for making this thing less low-end power and more higher-end speed?

What makes you feel this is not a real motorcycle? It will go a hell of lot more places than those pretty bar hopping Hardly Ablesons and their ilk. I've heard the "why not a real bike" comments from the Hardly guys at work, yet their bikes don't see rain, darkness, dirt, Monday through Friday or more than a few thousand miles a year. I would say I have the "real" bike, it takes me where I need to go 365 days a year on road or off road, rain or shine, never again will I buy a bike that is limited to smooth black top

Oh and yeah get a larger front sprocket and smaller rear sprocket, I think your bike should have a 15/45 stock that's a 3.0:1. Try to find a 16(good luck) for the front see if it works for you, if that isn't enough you will probably have to go with a smaller rear next, I am pretty sure you can get a 39T or 37T for the rear 15/37 will give you 2.47:1 which may almost be too high for the power available. Also you can get a taller rear tire that will raise the final drive ratio. If you have a 100/90-18, try a 100/100-18.

Here you go, I have ordered from >>here<< (http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/1481/PU/K22-3931) once before to get harder to find sprockets for my KLR, great deal and shipped right away, but like I said, I have only bought from them once. Midway down the page you will see the dr200 sprockets #k22-3809($20) for the 37 and k22-3811($18) for the 39. No 16T for the front bigger front always seem harder to find. With these smaller sprockets you will have to cut the chain shorter by at least 4 links.
The 39T will probably drop your rpms by 800 in fifth gear, the 37T will be about 1000 rpms.