Heller: How will it affect Nevada [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Heller: How will it affect Nevada

legeslv
06-27-2008, 22:58
I can not speak to the North, but I do believe that it will still be a fight to be able to visit North Las Vegas and Boulder City.

How does everyone else feel in the Silver State about it?

SinCityGlocker
06-29-2008, 18:06
NLV and BC stopped being a problem a few months ago. NV now has total state preemption of local firearms laws. The only exception to this being clark county's unconstitutional registration scheme.

RMTactical
06-29-2008, 23:06
NLV and BC stopped being a problem a few months ago. NV now has total state preemption of local firearms laws.

Do you have a source?

CowboyKen
06-30-2008, 05:36
Do you have a source?

Look at SB92 from the last session and you might want to read these:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum36/7935.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum36/6862.html

Ken

jpa
07-02-2008, 20:36
I think once all the cases are hashed out in California, I may go for a visit. :) I refuse to visit a jurisdiction that wants everyone disarmed by default unless you're a criminal.

As was quoted in the RJ the other day...it really doesn't affect Nevada much at all. There are no restrictions on handgun ownership other than the usuals, no draconian rules about being disassembled and scattered around the house, no odd possession restrictions, etc.

The only possession prohibition I still can't understand is government buildings and schools. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to carry in a library or if I went to pay my water bill in person.

Slmpickins26
07-20-2008, 21:52
You know whats wierd is the BATF got thier Pee pee slapped for trying to keep a fire arms registration. When is it time that Clark County get thiers?

:dunno:

digitspaw
08-17-2008, 12:00
Look at SB92 from the last session and you might want to read these:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum36/7935.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum36/6862.html

Ken

Hey, Ken:wavey:

Thanks for those links, Ken. Did you see the thread regarding a meet and greet for Nevada GTers in this forum? You're on my short list of folks I'd like to meet.:supergrin:

digitspaw
08-17-2008, 12:07
I think once all the cases are hashed out in California, I may go for a visit. :) I refuse to visit a jurisdiction that wants everyone disarmed by default unless you're a criminal.

As was quoted in the RJ the other day...it really doesn't affect Nevada much at all. There are no restrictions on handgun ownership other than the usuals, no draconian rules about being disassembled and scattered around the house, no odd possession restrictions, etc.

The only possession prohibition I still can't understand is government buildings and schools. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to carry in a library or if I went to pay my water bill in person.

Hi, John:wavey:

As a former 31 year resident of San Diego, I can tell you that CA is not as restrictive as you think. It is not difficult to get a CCW permit in many counties in CA. The problem lies in the city areas where you really need one.:upeyes:
I've had many CA permits that were unrestricted in the past. CA also allows you to carry concealed without a permit in your home, your place of business, and your temporary campsite.
Technically, in Nevada, you're supposed to have a permit to carry concealed in your own home because there is no exemption to the state statute as there is to the Penal Code in California.
1st time offense for carrying concealed without a permit is a misdemeanor. That's better than a lot of other states laws.

I'm with you on the draconian attitudes though. Seems as though in Kali, if it's black and scary (cool) looking, it's going to immediately become illegal to own.:rofl:

JimBianchi
08-17-2008, 12:36
Thanks CowboyKen, good links.

CowboyKen
08-17-2008, 18:57
Hey, Ken:wavey:

Thanks for those links, Ken. Did you see the thread regarding a meet and greet for Nevada GTers in this forum? You're on my short list of folks I'd like to meet.:supergrin:

Paw,

Yes I saw it but I will be unable to attend. I do plan to be at the, now rescheduled to, Sept. 10th meeting to discuss ccw and other firearms legislation issues with the S&CA.

Ken

digitspaw
08-19-2008, 16:55
Paw,

Yes I saw it but I will be unable to attend. I do plan to be at the, now rescheduled to, Sept. 10th meeting to discuss ccw and other firearms legislation issues with the S&CA.

Ken

I look forward to meeting you in person. :wavey:

digitspaw
08-19-2008, 17:02
Paw,

Ken

I can't find that in any of these threads. Or...............are you guys just playin' keep away from Paw? :rofl:

Jeff S.
08-19-2008, 17:08
I asked Kris Pickering, a Nevada Supreme Court nominee, this question, and this was her response (I'd recommend voting for her this November):

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your interest in the race.

I welcomed the Supreme Court's recent decision in Heller, declaring unconstitutional DC's ordinance banning handguns. I followed the case with interest and read the briefs and the transcripts of the arguments. I think the decision is correct.

A few commentators have questioned whether Heller is limited to the District of Columbia and argued that it's open whether the Second Amendment applies to the states. That strikes me as inconsistent with the other provisions of the Bill of Rights, which apply fully to the states. On that particular issue, note that here in Nevada, our state Constitution also provides, "Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes." Art. 1, section 11, Nev. Const.

I believe in Justices enforcing the US and Nevada Constitutions as written in this as in other areas.

I hope this answers your question and humbly ask for your vote.

Kris Pickering

jpa
08-19-2008, 21:46
I asked Kris Pickering, a Nevada Supreme Court nominee, this question, and this was her response (I'd recommend voting for her this November):

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your interest in the race.

I welcomed the Supreme Court's recent decision in Heller, declaring unconstitutional DC's ordinance banning handguns. I followed the case with interest and read the briefs and the transcripts of the arguments. I think the decision is correct.

A few commentators have questioned whether Heller is limited to the District of Columbia and argued that it's open whether the Second Amendment applies to the states. That strikes me as inconsistent with the other provisions of the Bill of Rights, which apply fully to the states. On that particular issue, note that here in Nevada, our state Constitution also provides, "Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes." Art. 1, section 11, Nev. Const.

I believe in Justices enforcing the US and Nevada Constitutions as written in this as in other areas.

I hope this answers your question and humbly ask for your vote.

Kris Pickering

She's got my vote. That's one of the things I like about NV...if you ask a politician a question, they answer it.

Paw, check the thread on the CCW exemption, there's a mention of the meeting date changing to Sept 10 at the Clark County Gov center.