IE 7 Installation Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IE 7 Installation Questions

dglockster
06-28-2008, 09:24
When installing IE 7, does it automatically overwrite IE 6? If so, what happens to the bookmarks in IE 6? I'd hate to lose all of 'em.

On installation, if IE 7 doesn't overwrite IE 6, do you then open both 6 and 7, import the bookmarks from 6 to 7, and afterwards delete 6?

You've probably figured by now that I don't know much about PCs and you're right. :dunno:

Washington,D.C.
06-28-2008, 09:42
When installing IE 7, does it automatically overwrite IE 6? If so, what happens to the bookmarks in IE 6? I'd hate to lose all of 'em.

On installation, if IE 7 doesn't overwrite IE 6, do you then open both 6 and 7, import the bookmarks from 6 to 7, and afterwards delete 6?

You've probably figured by now that I don't know much about PCs and you're right. :dunno:

A lot of people have had problems with IE 7. you might be better off not installing IE 7. If you do really want to try it make a System Restore Point first. I would pass on ionstalling IE 7 and juat install Firefox 3 and import your IE 6 bookmarks when installing Firefox 3. Keep IE 7 out of the system because once it's installed you usually can not uninstall it and it does replace IE 6.

JimBianchi
06-28-2008, 10:03
Since Oct of 07, when IE 7 first intalled, I can not seen imbedded video.

The only work around is cut and paste into Mozila.

(I also can't view my online business acount with WAMU. Much bigger pain and so far no work around)

I've tried a million combinations of settings, no luck.

IndyGunFreak
06-28-2008, 11:24
People still use Internet Exploder?

Embracing an alternative is your best answer...

http://www.firefox.com
http://www.opera.com

IGF

dglockster
06-28-2008, 14:16
Thanks. Your replies do make me rethink IE 7.

As for Firefox 3, wasn't there some type of a major security breach where one of the developers had sold a selection of code that permitted hackers easy access to computers runnng FF3?

Washington,D.C.
06-28-2008, 16:47
Thanks. Your replies do make me rethink IE 7.

As for Firefox 3, wasn't there some type of a major security breach where one of the developers had sold a selection of code that permitted hackers easy access to computers runnng FF3?

Can't be. Firefox's source code is free software, released under a tri-license GPL/LGPL/MPL.

RTmarc
06-28-2008, 20:41
There are no issues installing IE7. A system restore is automatically created during the installation. The installation will actually replace the files necessary for IE6 thereby effectively removing it from the system. Your bookmarks will remain intact and are backed up automatically by the installation, however, if you are still apprehensive you can manually back up your bookmarks by copying the Favorites folder (C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Account>\Favorites) to an alternate location.

I've done this process literally thousands of times and never had any issues whatsoever. At this point, IE7 has been available for over a year and therefore the installation process has reached maturity. There are also compelling reasons to upgrade to IE7; i.e., security and standards compliance.

Having said all of that, I still agree with using an alternate browser. IE7 is an obvious improvement over IE6 and all previous versions of the application, but it still falls short.

Personally, I'm a Firefox user and have been for years. My dislike for Opera goes back to its early days and being ad-driven. I've tinkered with the newest version and it looks to be completely different from the older versions and had some neat features but nothing that will pull me from Firefox.

Washington,D.C.
06-29-2008, 15:04
Opera has some interesting features. It doesn't support Active X. It can zoom a web page. It can save pictures with a right click from websites that prevent this with IE and Firefox.

d3athp3nguin
06-30-2008, 02:21
I like firefox for three simple reasons:

1. There is a version for all popular OSes, including Linux
2. It is not an integral part of Microsoft Windows, so if the browser gets infected I haven't compromised my whole system by default
3. Dear lord, the add-ons. Soo many awesome add-ons. BEHOLD!
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/?application=firefox

dglockster
07-09-2008, 15:00
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1288 is what I was referring to in my June 28 post regarding problems with Firefox 3.

I have been using Firefox 3 even with its potential problem. Even though it loads no faster than IE and it does crash more often than IE, I do like it.

Washington,D.C.
07-09-2008, 16:09
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1288 is what I was referring to in my June 28 post regarding problems with Firefox 3.

I have been using Firefox 3 even with its potential problem. Even though it loads no faster than IE and it does crash more often than IE, I do like it.

If Firefox is crashing or closing you may need to update your version of Flash Player. It's best to uninstall the the version you have first and then download and install the current version. Check some of the other plug ins also.

dglockster
07-13-2008, 06:10
Thanks for the tip. Will do.