Looking to buy a used (or new if $$ is right) car open to suggestions... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a used (or new if $$ is right) car open to suggestions...

TED
06-28-2008, 17:39
I'm needing to buy a car.

I specifically want the following...
4 or 6 cylinder (gas $)
Front wheel drive or AWD, NOT rear wheel drive (winter handling)
US or Asian brand, NOT European (been there, done that)

I'm more interested in cars than SUV's or crossovers and I specifically do not want a pick up truck or truck (most of which, if not all are rear wheel drive anyways it seems).

Reliability, longevity, and gas $ are important factors to me.

I need some suggestions.

Thanks

TED

Liquid
06-29-2008, 08:49
i had a 1998 honda accord v6 for about 7 years/125k miles (i got it 2 years old with 12k miles). great car, i have recommended it and wouldn't hesitate to get another one. however i decided to try out the euro route this time around.

RONSTAR
07-06-2008, 15:36
Dont know how much you want to spend but I loved my AWD M45

slumpmaster
07-13-2008, 02:10
I had a 1994 Accord that was great until my wife used it to T-Bone a Cadillac. The Honda survived, BTW, the Caddy was not so lucky.

Anyway, very reliable car, comfortable to drive. I would not hesitate to buy another used Honda sedan. Mine was a 4 door, 4 cylinder automatic. Got between 29 and 32 mpg, no matter how or wher it was driven. For a similar driving experience, and closer to 40 mpg, you may wish to consider a Civic instead.

The key to Hondas is to make certain you have the timing belt replaced at the intervals recommended in the owner's manual. If that belt breaks, you are looking at thousands in repair bills. The belt replacement cost me about 600 dollars, and I had it done twice. If it hadn't been wrecked, the car would only have gone in for annual tuneups, otherwise. Contrary to what some say about front drive japanese cars being a bear to work on yourself, I found the mid 90's Accord 4 cylinder fairly simple, accessable, and straightforward. Honda even offered a shop manual to buyers at the time.

Ended up trading for a new Prius in 2005, but I still miss that Accord.

LABMAN
07-15-2008, 15:05
I replaced mine and my wife's car in the past year. I researched and looked and checked and found that the car that offered the most car and options for the least money was the Ford Taurus. 2002 Taurus SE with power everything including pedals and alloy wheels, under 50,000 miles was $8000 drive out in 2007. My wife's 2006 Taurus SE, under 40,000 miles, no power seat or pedals or alloy wheels was $10,000 drive out in 2008. Both look and drive like new ones and both get approx 26 MPG city driving. I've already put over 38,000 miles on mine and have only changed oil.

g29andy
07-19-2008, 21:41
I picked up a used 06 Civic. 06-up Civics have timing chains thankfully, not belts.