Of the Korean cars, which is better Hyundai, Kia, or Daewoo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Of the Korean cars, which is better Hyundai, Kia, or Daewoo?

TED
06-28-2008, 17:58
Title says it all.

Based on what I have read so far it seems like Hyundai is the best Korean car brand, but I am open to further discussion.

TED

Norman
06-28-2008, 18:03
I think clearly Hyundai.

SIGSAREBETTER
06-28-2008, 18:05
Hyundai owns Kia now, Kia being the budget level (or more budget level) of the two. I had a Spectra, it was actually a very solid car. My ex wrecked it. Daewoo is garbage.

Dandapani
06-28-2008, 18:18
Daewoo comes and goes. Not a good attribute in a car company.

Liquid
06-29-2008, 08:51
i never owned one but out of the 3 id go for hyundai. i thought daewoo was out of business.

JimK
06-29-2008, 12:00
I have an 05 Hyundai Elantra. The ride is smooth and quiet and the car has been totally reliable . I like the ride better in this car than the 2000 Nissan Altima I traded in for it .

ecmills
07-07-2008, 20:42
I thought daewoo was out of business.Sorta. You realize they're kinda like the Korean Yamaha, right? Yamaha makes everything from Saxaphones to Motorcycles. Daewoo makes everything from TVs to horrendous cars. Their vehicles became nearly unmarketable in the U.S. - so through the magic of the GMDAT alliance, Suzuki is now saddled with three horrendous vehicles with Daewoo-designed engines that are built by GM in Australia (Holden).

The Suzuki Forenza, Reno, and Verona.

As a Suzuki Master Tech before I defected to Toyota, I got to work on a lot of these. If someone handed me a Verona for free, I'd sell it for scrap. I couldn't give it away without guilt. We put THREE motors in one car. By 58,000 miles, this Verona was on motor number four.

Buy a Kia.

If you look at a car on a Suzuki lot and it's listed as 'JAPAN' being the primary source of parts for the engine, you're good. If it says KOREA or AUSTRALIA... Run.

spotco2
07-07-2008, 22:14
The new Kia Amanti's are very nice cars.

SASSGlock2
07-28-2008, 16:41
Sorta. You realize they're kinda like the Korean Yamaha, right? Yamaha makes everything from Saxaphones to Motorcycles. Daewoo makes everything from TVs to horrendous cars. .

Daewoo used to make a pretty decent AR15-based rifle.

I have a Kia Spectra that I bought for my 115 mile daily round trip. I average 34 mpg, 100,000 mile warranty, not a lick of problem and had it for just over a year. Very satisfied.

93GT
07-28-2008, 18:57
hyundai, it's not even close imho

bac1023
08-02-2008, 20:52
hyundai, it's not even close imho

Yeah, but Hyundai and Kia are one.

liliysdad
08-03-2008, 02:08
Really liking our Kia Spectra5

DriBak
08-06-2008, 14:45
Save a little more coin and buy a Honda, Toyota or Nissan

93GT
08-06-2008, 21:08
Yeah, but Hyundai and Kia are one.

Same company owner, not 100% the same vehicles. Hyundai rates much higher than Kia's in consumer reports, better interior, been around longer, is the father company, and kia's are the budget version of Hyundai's in Korea. I don't love them or anything, but to answer the OP's question...Hyundai. They have a long way and I would say if you have to pick their number one downfall it is resale value.

HollowHead
08-06-2008, 21:51
Save a little more coin and buy a Honda, Toyota or Nissan

Hyundai is already making those marques look like GM, Ford & Chrysler by comparison. HH

CBRGlocker
08-28-2008, 12:22
My mechanic is/was a Honda/Toyota guy. I've been taking my cars to him for the past 16 years and that's all he's driven until recently when he bought a Hyundai sonata. I asked him where the change of heart came from and he said that of all the cars he drove, the Hyundai just gave him the best ride plus it was much cheaper than the honda or toyota.

He bought it used so he gets a 5 year, 60k warranty and not the 10 year 100k mile one. I doubt it matters to him though since he's a mechanic.

loki993
09-10-2008, 12:05
dont know, I work in an auto parts store and guess what I sell the most parts for?? Hyundais and kias or at least thats what it seems like. not just things like brakes and other wear items either, im talking alternators, starters, cv axels, if we have them, im talking for 02s, 03s, 04s, lots of stuff for 01s and 00s. the 05s you pretty much cant get parts for. these are all parts for cars that I dont think should be going bad on 5 year old cars. and if the warrantys so great what are so many people doing in my store buying parts for their cars, thats probably not a big thing the warrantys probably not transferable. I suppose youd probably be ok if you bought one new, but then again the resale on those cars if absolutely awful also.

rico6787
09-10-2008, 13:28
Well that new Hyundai Genesis with 375hp is pretty impressive, they are comparing it to a Lexus, I sold Hyundais for a year and a half and I think they are great cars.

LarryNC
09-11-2008, 06:39
I have been wondering when Hyundai is going to market a small pickup-truck here in the U.S..

MStarmer
09-11-2008, 10:20
I've had (2) Hyundai's, an Accent and a Elantra. Both were excellent cars, the Elantra for the money was fantastic. Never a bit of problems with either. I have noticed the price sure has jumped on them since I bought back in '03 and '05.

LarryNC
01-02-2009, 19:45
I have to share my Hyundai experience with you guys. My wife was interested in trading her car and getting something with better mileage and a lower payment. She was interested in the Honda CR-V and the Toyota…I cannot remember the name. It is the smallest SUV that honda imports. Anyway, just on a lark, I checked out the local Hyundai dealership and I did like the larger SUV that I took out on a test drive. I got my wife to go back to check out the car and she said that she liked the smaller SUV, the Tucson. Well, the saleswoman got a car for her to drive and while she was making a copy of my wife's drivers license it began to rain. When my wife came back right away I asked her why her test drive was so quick? She started laughing and told me that the windshield wipers wouldn't work :supergrin:

The saleswoman was embarrassed and apologetic. She got another Tucson and they went back out for the test drive. They came back really quickly again and this time the windshield wiper on the passenger side has fallen off :rofl:

Needless to say, we left and didn't look back. She (my wife) decided that she really did love her Toyota 4-Runner and would simply stay with a product that she knows will work!