where/what to hunt in nevada? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : where/what to hunt in nevada?

superspud
06-28-2008, 21:12
ok.... so im from texas where you could just hunt off your back porch if you wanted to.....

i've been here in vegas for a little over a year now and im starting to get the itch. in texas i hunted dove and quail mostly, with an occasional turkey and deer.

my question is, where the hell can a guy hunt here in the silver state? i've heard several ppl talking here and there about hunting but i never engaged the conversation but now i just really want to shoot something....

im sure there are plenty of areas up in northern nevada but how about us folk down here in the desert?

RMTactical
06-29-2008, 23:17
Chukar are my favorite, quail are good to hunt around here too. Done some dove, but they are not my favorite. It's taken me years of talking to people and trying various spots to find some good ones.

It's kind of hard to get a deer or elk tag around here though, but there are some not too far from Vegas. The closest place I can think of is cold creek.

superspud
06-30-2008, 22:26
soooo, where can i get info on any of this? are there guides? i'd really like to shoot some birds, deer was never really my deal as you get to shoot only once or twice a season.

RMTactical
07-01-2008, 01:36
soooo, where can i get info on any of this? are there guides? i'd really like to shoot some birds, deer was never really my deal as you get to shoot only once or twice a season.

Like I said, it takes a lot of trial and error. I went on several hunting trips in Southern Nevada before I was ever successful.

You gotta talk to people, you gotta see where the birds are. The drought changes things too. It changes where they go.

We started out trying to find out where the guzzlers were around where we lived but that wasn't extremely successful for a few reasons I am guessing. Supposedly there is a map out there that lists all of the guzzlers, we only were able to visit a few we knew about from driving around in the desert.

Also, have you tried going to the NDOW website? I am not totally sure what information they may have but that may be a good place to start.

http://www.ndow.org/hunt/

Slmpickins26
07-20-2008, 21:44
ok.... so im from texas where you could just hunt off your back porch if you wanted to.....

i've been here in vegas for a little over a year now and im starting to get the itch. in texas i hunted dove and quail mostly, with an occasional turkey and deer.

my question is, where the hell can a guy hunt here in the silver state? i've heard several ppl talking here and there about hunting but i never engaged the conversation but now i just really want to shoot something....

im sure there are plenty of areas up in northern nevada but how about us folk down here in the desert?

No permit needed for jack rabit or cyote. And you can hunt them at night with a spotlight. And no limit.

superspud
07-24-2008, 21:49
how does that work? do you just park your car and walk out into the desert? isnt the majority of the land private/government owned? explain

Slmpickins26
07-24-2008, 21:57
how does that work? do you just park your car and walk out into the desert? isnt the majority of the land private/government owned? explain

The times I've went you just drive down the dirt roads. When you spot light a Jack or Cyotoe. Someone jumps out and zaps the mangie bastard. This all usally takes place on BLM land.

jfrey123
07-25-2008, 16:56
Someone jumps out and zaps the mangie bastard.

And of course, we're all driving around with our rifles unloaded as required by Nevada Statute when we drive with you, right? :whistling:

RMTactical
07-29-2008, 02:17
No permit needed for jack rabit or cyote. And you can hunt them at night with a spotlight. And no limit.

Just be sure you don't cross into Utah at night with your spotlight... It's illegal there...

And of course, we're all driving around with our rifles unloaded as required by Nevada Statute when we drive with you, right? :whistling:

That's what I do. It's not hard to eject and chamber rounds...

Slmpickins26
07-31-2008, 20:39

Yes Yes I follow the saftey regs when hunting. Although a pain in the but to load and unload. It's beter than pluggin your buddy in the brain bucket jumpin out of the truck.

crazypilot
08-01-2008, 10:49
When are you guys planning to get together for this?

Slmpickins26
08-01-2008, 11:28
When are you guys planning to get together for this?

I know I would want to.

superspud
08-01-2008, 21:30
im free on the weekends......

im going to be hitting up the gun show tomorrow, i need to pick up some magazines for my glock 19 as well as som 7.62, 5.56 and 9mm

superspud
08-03-2008, 17:24
gunshow was ok... prices werent too great but i picked up a nice bag for my AR as well as 500 rounds of reload... and a magpul grip... and two magazines.... its addicting :(