Fishy Fish Taste [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fishy Fish Taste

kentley
07-07-2002, 18:20
Any Ideas on what to use to soak your fish in to get the "fishy" taste out of them? It doesn't bother me, but the "Fam" turns their nose up to it. The best thing I've found is to soak the fillets in salt water overnight. Does anyone know of anything that will work quicker?

The Pontificator
07-07-2002, 22:44
have your family eat chicken instead ;Q

;f

Just jerking your chain a little.

What kind of fish in particular? Some fish have an "off" or much stronger flavor if caught during the hot summer months...Pickerel in particular.

rogerdodger
07-07-2002, 23:06
whole milk or buttermilk will do the trick

mikescooling
07-15-2002, 01:00
What kind of fish?
Maybe change the salt water for a good marinade.
If you fry fish after it's cooked squeeze some fresh lemon. S and P.
try a tempora batter = flower and water] mixed thin, like real thin, like a lite soup.
Then float them in hot [375 to 400 corn oil] if they don't float your batter is to thick.
Mike

hank_rearden
07-16-2002, 04:28
yep, soaking in some milk works fine. say, have you gutted and scaled it before taking it home?

bustedknee
07-22-2002, 14:42
I don't know what kind of fish you are eating but my experience with salmon and halibut is the fat (brown) is the fishy tasting part. I take great pains to trim off the fat. Then the fillets taste just fine.

MrMurphy
07-22-2002, 18:03
Beef. It's what's for dinner. ;a

I just catch fish. I don't eat them. :) At least not since about '92. So, can't help ya on that one.

Sharker
07-30-2002, 17:15
Not all fish is fish. There is fish then there is fishy fish. I eat snapper, grouper, wahoo, dolphin etc etc. I am very picky, but some of my family eat any kind of fish they can. I have an uncle who boils bonita for an hour befroe cooking it, just to get the oil and blood out (the meat is DARK BROWN) and another uncle lives in New Jersey and eats Bluefish that he smothers in tomato sauce. Just get some good fish and you wont have a problem.

syntaxerrorsix
07-31-2002, 14:41
Milk is the ticket, and I think it improves the flavor of good fish as well. Dolphin, king whatever you catch. I dont think I'll be eating any bonita though :> least not where Im at.