What do you consider a "novel"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider a "novel"?

Scarecrow28
07-02-2008, 08:42
This question really pertains to the length of a novel. I'm finishing the final stages of planning this weeks and plan to write for around an hour per day, aiming for a minimum of 2,000 words per day, if not more. I'm figuring I could stick to this scedule for at least 5, if not 6 or 7, days a week. If I followed 2,000 words a day, 5 times a week I could have around 80,000 words done by the end of August if I start the writing process next Monday. This would only be the rough draft and I believe that the editing process would add on at least 10,000 words. Would you consider this a "novel"? This is my first time attempting to write a full-length book and I wasn't really aware of how long it should be. Thanks!

evomx5
07-05-2008, 22:30
Not that I'm the one to say, but mine is at 46,000 words now and it is halfway through. I'm hoping to have around 100,000 by the time it's done. I consider that to be novel length, myself. So, 80,000 or more should do it but, the more the better.

Scarecrow28
07-06-2008, 10:50
Thanks for the info. Now my only problem is going to be forcing myself to conforming to this daily writing schedule.

evomx5
07-06-2008, 13:52
I wish I could do that. I don't have an outline...I'm just doing it as it comes to me. I have the whole story in my mind, but it's adding all the little stuff in that's hard. Plus, I have a writing partner. I'm doing the story and she's adding all the little details and color to what I write.

Scarecrow28
07-06-2008, 18:26
If you become caught up with writers block, talk to her and see if you can work on a very basic outline. I spent several months making an extremely detailed plot outline, but it hindered my creativity and writing abilities. I replaced it with a brief outline that summarizes the novels major plot points without invading upon my creativity. When you plan ahead, you can ensure the avoidance of plot difficulties and other problems related to the plotine.

evomx5
07-06-2008, 18:41
Yeah...I gave my writing partner a basic outline of the story just in case something happens to me, she can finish writing it....then give the millions of dollars I make from it to my daughter.:rofl:

Mine is a dragon/fantasy book.

Scarecrow28
07-07-2008, 11:25
Well, I finished the outline last night. Its a little confusing as I had to edit and cut many previous scenes and such. I already know that I'm going to have to eliminate some of the action scenes, downplay them, or add more "lull periods" in between them. I hope to start the actual writing process today. I think that the original plotline that I have now is going to end up being modified during the actual writing process, but thats probably for the better.

evomx5
07-07-2008, 18:45
I don't doubt that you'll have to make adjustments. The outline will just keep you on track. As you write, you'll think of things that may not be in the outline, but you may like the way the would fit in. That's the beauty of writing...

Adding some lulls in the action can be a good thing. I just finished reading the Dragonlance Chronicles...three books. There are very few lulls in the action and it makes it hard to keep everything in your mind.

Just start writing, follow your outline, add something different if you find a place you think you need to or want to and keep the ending in sight. I always keep the ending in sight...it helps you to get there.

Scarecrow28
07-07-2008, 20:52
I consider myself to be a perfectionist, almost to a fault, and I've almost began to question the quality of the plotline. I feel like I could somehow do better, even though I have devoted countless hours over the course of the past several months towards crafting and modifying the storyline. As of now, I'm going to begin writing and just hope that the outcome is halfway decent.