NV CCW is no longer be an exemption to the NICS background check [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NV CCW is no longer be an exemption to the NICS background check

JimBianchi
07-02-2008, 13:08
Off of the NRA website:

Important Information for Nevada’s Right-to-Carry Permit Holders!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

As many of you have been made aware, as of today, Tuesday, July 1, all Nevada CCW permits will no longer qualify as an alternative to a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) through the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This action is a result of Nevada's loss of exemption due to an audit conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) in 2004 which uncovered a number of Brady Law violations.

In 2006, a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was reached between BATFE and all seventeen of Nevada sheriffs. The MOU specifically addressed the absence of a Nevada law requiring NICS checks to be conducted by all county sheriffs before issuing renewal CCW permits to include a check of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) databases for applicants who are not citizens of the United States. During the 2007 legislative session, a measure was introduced to fulfill the MOU agreement but fell victim to political wrangling over permit fee increases and the bill died when the Governor pledged to veto a fee increase of any kind, despite agreements worked out between the interested parties.

As a result, no legislative fix was passed to correct the audit deficiency and in May of 2008, BATFE issued another edict fulfilling their promise that all Nevada FFL's eliminate Nevada CCW permittees’ NICS exemption effective July 1, 2008.

NRA has recently learned that the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association (NVSCA) will be discussing the possibility of asking BATFE for another audit of the Nevada CCW permit process prior to their scheduled July 17 quarterly meeting. According to NVSCA Executive Director Frank Adams, he believes that Nevada could pass a new audit, however, the request to BATFE must be given the green light from all seventeen sheriffs. Please take the time to contact your Sheriff immediately and ask that they join with their fellow sheriffs when this matter comes before them! The contact information for your Sheriff, as well as all seventeen, can be found on the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association website at www.nvsca.com/agency_links.html.

On another very important note, the NVSCA sub-committee on Nevada CCW will be meeting on Tuesday, August 5 at 1:30 p.m. at the Sawyer Building in Las Vegas. Last year was the first meeting of this kind to be held and was attended by over a hundred NRA members and activists with an interest in the CCW process.

We are hoping to get even more to attend this meeting where Frank Adams and several NVSCA officers will be on hand to discuss firearms issues. A television link to Carson City will be made available for all who want to attend from northern Nevada (details will follow with more information on the link).

RMTactical
07-02-2008, 18:37
I thought that they had taken care of this... Damn...

jpa
07-02-2008, 20:19
I posted about this a few weeks ago. I just mailed a letter to BATFE requesting clarification on WHAT exactly is deficient about the NV CCW and how it can be remedied. When I get their response I will post it here. I will also start emailing and writing my state legislators and urge everyone else to do the same.

ETA- I just read the entire original post above mine that elaborates more than the batf's letter to ffl's does. There is no reason for a ccw permit fee increase...there are several smaller counties in the state (as shown in the committee minutes of last year's session) that do NOT charge the entire $105 for a permit because their costs are LESS than that. Of course Metro and Nye counties charge the maximum allowed by law and were lobbying for an increase to pay their overpaid staff. I suspect Metro's "need" for more funds has more to do with the handgun registration process and verification than any state or federal requirement. I'd like to push the state for total preemption to eliminate registration totally.

jfrey123
07-25-2008, 17:15
I can find the article if anyone challenges me on this, but the ccw exemption was lost because of a BATFE requirement. They passed a requirement that people renewing their ccw be ran through a Immigrations and Customs Database (you know, to ensure our armed Americans really are American :shocked: ). As a group, the Nevada Police and Sheriffs Association (or whatever they're called) agreed they wanted/needed to increase the renewal fee to cover the additional cost of checking this database. Governor Gibbons vetoed the bill that would've increased fees under his policy of "NO NEW TAXES". BATFE got word that we weren't going to run the check on ccw renewals, and now we are no longer exempt from the evil clutches of Sarah Brady...

That work? :faint:

1337-G
07-25-2008, 19:23
Increase fees is being disingenuous. They wanted to practically double them and were (apparently) salivating at the thought.

jpa
07-27-2008, 11:02
Of course the government wants more money for doing nothing more than having a low-level clerk spend 30 seconds typing. Metro should take the .25% tax increase for "MORE cops" that they spent on raises and use that to pay for the "additional cost."

I've emailed Gillespie on the matter several times. I have the nvsca meeting on my calendar as well. Anyone else planning on attending?

osiruscyn
07-27-2008, 21:07
does metro even get the money? When you purchase a firearm, they call the state repository up in Carson City which is run by DPS and run your name through NCIC. They don't even talk to anyone in metro.

jpa
07-29-2008, 12:31
does metro even get the money? When you purchase a firearm, they call the state repository up in Carson City which is run by DPS and run your name through NCIC. They don't even talk to anyone in metro.

Sorry if I wasn't clear...I meant CCW fees. I was complaining that they're too high to begin with. Those go to the sheriff's department, except for the $45 that goes to the central repository to process the fingerprint card. So metro gets $60 to fingerprint you, take your picture, run your background and read the fingerprint response from the repository. Not counting waiting time while waiting for responses or extensive follow-up for people with shady backgrounds, how long do you think it takes to process the application?

Although the background check fee is another matter...I'm of the opinion that it's a little too pricey as well. Like you said, they have a clerk run your name (more than just ncic, but that is one of them), then they give a proceed/deny/delay response. Let's say it takes 5 mins. The clerk is probably a grade 27 or so making $30k/yr. At the rate of $14.42/hr, this call costs the state 72 cents but they charge $25. Granted, they have other expenses that are related, but the department also has other duties such as maintaining the state criminal history records that shouldn't be paid for with gun purchases.

osiruscyn
07-29-2008, 12:54
I completely agree that the fee's for the CCW application is ridiculous. Not only that but the prices of the classes themselves. All in all, to get your CCW it costs in the general neighborhood of $200 a person.

You do know that before you leave the CCW detail, they basically have everything completed? They have your card already printed and made, they have already ran your NCIC and have it in the application packet. I really don't have a clue what the hell takes the extra, what is it now, 45 days or so?

1337-G
07-29-2008, 21:30
You do know that before you leave the CCW detail, they basically have everything completed? They have your card already printed and made, they have already ran your NCIC and have it in the application packet. I really don't have a clue what the hell takes the extra, what is it now, 45 days or so?

Yep, my girlfriend applied for a new permit the same day I did my add-a-gun earlier this month. She was there for about an hour. At the end of the process, they showed her the completed permit...the actual card with her picture on it, held it up and showed it to her, and then told her she'd get it in the mail.

WTF? :dunno:

jpa
07-31-2008, 14:08
Yeah, I kinda figured they did something like that. I went in for a work card to go work security in a bar and walked out with it in a few minutes. Only difference I think may be that they wait for the fingerprint responses before they mail out the card (since it qualified as your background check before 7/1). I work for a state agency that does fingerprint background checks on applicants, it generally seems to take R&T about 2-3 months to return a print response.

Btw...the NVSCA meeting was postponed to Sept 9.

1337-G
07-31-2008, 19:12
Btw...the NVSCA meeting was postponed to Sept 9.

Bastards.